palimpsest

Stone 1791

palimpsest
11 years ago

Stone house c. 1791, office/outbuilding, peg barn and acreage under $700K

Comments (16)

• allison0704
    11 years ago

More! More! Wish the "acreage" was in the front instead of a street!

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Fantastic. The grisaille alone is a clincher.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

First thing I noticed too Allison was how close to street. Love the front door and the arches.

tina

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Typical for houses of that era in the Pennsylvania climate (and all of New England) to be close to the road. Particularly since the traffic was probably four guys on horses and three farm wagons every week.

(Okay, maybe more than that, but you get the point...)

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There is an inn, in that county that has the corner where the women's restroom is sheared off by trucks turning the corner so often that they don't even try to fix it anymore. For some reason the top of the building is closer to the road, and then the trucks must lean a bit cornering...

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

So gorgeous! One of my favorite things about living in Bethlehem, PA was driving by the old stone houses, much like this one. There is nothing prettier than these houses at night, lit with a single white candle in each window at Christmas!

This example is a beauty inside and out.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Pal, are there any more pics you can share, or a link to the listing? I know we'd like to see more of this place!

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of the peg barn. The only other interior pictures show the same entry hall and the kitchen which is so utilitarian it is inconsequential

• teacats
    11 years ago

Most charming!! LOVE the wallpaper!!! :)

I would worry about that lovely tree that is right next to the sidewalk and on the wires .... I wonder how a tree could be stablized (not sure if that is the correct term) to last another 100 years ....

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Um. I am guessing a lot of the commenters here do not live in the Northeast.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

You may be on to something Marcolo - I am in the south and have never lived within a city (well we did for the first 3 years of our married life). I am one who needs my "space" and privacy. But of course, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla!

tina

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I do not live in the northeast. I live on the west coast where the oldest house in my city was built in probably about 1890 and there are maybe, about 20 of those left. Most of the other homes (including the one I grew up in which was about 1920 vintage-what I wouldn't give for those real leaded pane windows that were on either side of the fireplace) were all torn down during the 1980's McMansion era.

I would love to see older houses, especially stone houses, in real life.

• hhireno
    11 years ago

I live in the NE, possibly not too far from this listing, and didn't even notice how close it was to the street or the trees/wires. It looked normal or typical to me.

Oh yeah, I wanted to mention to Pal: last week I was reading the fiction book The Invisible Bridge and the main character was studying architecture. Your name came up in the story. Thanks to you, I understood the reference.

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

hhireno, I am reading the non-fiction book "The Memory Palace" by Mira Bartok, and pal's name came up there, too.

• porkandham
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I just love stone houses!

• User
    11 years ago

Love the house. My parents' house in Massachusetts is also very close the road, as are most in the town - all over 200 years old so it looks normal to me too. Unfortunately the traffic on their road is much heavier than it was before so it does tend to get a little loud. I just read "The Memory Palace" as well and loved it -- also thought of Pal.