Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benb1

What to do with giant master bedroom

benb1
9 years ago

Hi everyone. I got engaged 5 months ago, moved to Texas and found a ..... huge house ......the one she lives in lol. Almost 7,000 square feet. The master bedroom is huuuuuge. It's 30x35 in dimension. I mean, I have never seen a bedroom as big as this thing. The flooring has been removed and is just concrete at this point. There are a large row of cabinets on one end of the room - about 30 of them plus a large counter space going the width of the room underneath the cabinets and a sink/vanity area along that counter space as well. All of that does nothing to "fill" up this room. We are starting from scratch and yes, there is a budget. She owns 36 acres of property and this house, amazingly she only owes 50k on the whole property so a big plus there in not having a lot of debt hanging over her/eventually our heads but we don't really want to go into debt to decorate. I'm thinking some version of a king size bed and "somewhere" i that expanse, possibly in the middle of the room? A couch/sitting area? Flooring? Wood panel, tile or carpeting? What about acid etched flooring with the stain and coating? Maybe a mix of different kinds of flooring for different spaces?

What do you think? Separate the room into different living areas? I mean, this bedroom is the size of some people's houses in terms of square footage. I am at a complete loss what to do with this room. I am at a loss about all the first floor rooms. The living room is 1,200 square feet and the dining room is something like 700 square feet! Anyway, my attention right now is focused on the bedroom, the rest of it will have to wait (excepting some paint and minor upgrades to try to lighten up a pretty dark house).

Oh and paint! They were going to turn this room into a teen (over 18) party room which was nixed when mom found out exactly what they had planned. They painted the walls an ugly, dark blue. I would like to think someone here could give me some ideas on perhaps painting walls in different shades, maybe 3 walls in one color and another in a different? What would you do to "fill" this room up and not have that empty feeling?

This post was edited by benb1 on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 19:50

Comments (9)

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Yes, you can have different living areas in a bedroom space. If you would post photos of the space you'll get lots of suggestions. Photos and the floor plan that shows windows, doors, closets, fireplace, etc. will really help.

ML

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Welcome to Texas Benb1.

I think you might leave the floor alone for awhile and invest in some nice, large rugs which visually deliniate the spaces you are trying to achieve. The bed area with night tables has an area for example. Two loveseats for lounging opposite each other while having coffee- small table in the center. Rug underneath to accomodate bare feet in the scale of the arrangement.
    A freestanding full length mirror. A low piece of exercise equipment in one obscure corner, like a Pilates bench or rowing machine. Large scaled, bright pops of color against light backgrounds. Change paint first to a hue in a light shade... something in the top two choices of your color card.

This space needs light colored, airy furniture, so as not to drag the eye to any one dark area. The temptation is to overfill it, making it look cluttered instead of unified. I would suggest using a resale shop for filler pieces. Habitat for Humanity Restore or many consignment shops offer good prices on gently used items.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Without seeing it, sounds like the cabinet area could be used as a breakfast/beverage area. Is it possible to erect a wall between the bedroom and the cabinet area? Is there room to put a small undercounter fridge for milk and juice?

Is there an adjacent room or closet that needs to be bigger? If so, could you move a wall?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Topping to send legitimate threads back up the line.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

sending this to the top again

• benb1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

apparently I can only add one photo to the original message so here's another.

• benb1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And adding another. I don't think the sheer size of this room is coming through any of these photos.

• benb1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And yet another.

• benb1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

final image