Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

Brutuses - I will post easy valance directions later

My3dogs ME zone 5A
15 years ago

I have LOTS of work - my real job - to do today, so will not be able to post them til later, But it's just a piece of decorator fabric 54" wide, lined, with trim glued on the bottom. I make matching or coordinating ties to hold them up, and depending on your choice of fabric, you can get MANY different looks. Here are a few more that you haven't seen in other posts.

I typically don't show bedroom pics, as I just throw an old sheet over the bed, due to sharing it with the dogs!

These are hung inside the trim in my office/sewing room.

You've seen these in another post, but fall/winter in upstairs bath

Currently in dining room. I used inexpensive cord curtain tie backs to hold these silk ones up.

Comments (20)

• jynxed23
    15 years ago

I'm eagerly awaiting your directions as well. I'm getting addicted to your posts and pictures! I love your valance so much that I think it is going to be my first fabric project.

• tinam61
    15 years ago

The ribbon on that first pic looks great! I am SO doing one of these valances. Was looking for a new window treatment for our master bedroom and I think these will go just great! I need to look for fabric now.

Thanks for sharing!

tina

• livvyandbella
    15 years ago

WOW!! Everything you do is just so lovely. Do you make house calls?????????
    Really, you are so talented.

• parma42
    15 years ago

How long does it take to learn how to sew a straight line?

I'm only half-kidding.

Parma...who flunked stay-stitching in high school home ec.

• texashottie
    15 years ago

My3Dogs, love your wt's. I've tried making London/Austrian shades using the shade tape on the backside and have never been thrilled with the results and the way they gather. I love yours---they hang beautifully and your outer cord is simple enough... (I had pretty much given up on having that look because I wasted so much fabric.)

I look forward to you posting your pattern too. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Before I dive back into my data for work, These are JUST a rectangular piece of fabric that is lined, and with a rod pocket. I simply make the ties from long strips of fabric, and drape them over the rod, once the 'rectangle' is on it. Then, you just gather up the fabric on each side and tie them up. I don't let mine down at all, but that could be done, although they'd be a bit wrinkled...

Honestly, the hardest part of this, (at least one my sister always asks me to do for her) is the 'finger fluffing' of them once you get them tied up, to make both sides look equal.

Also, the fabric has a lot to do with how nicely they'll drape. The red in my upstairs bath is perfect. The pink and green toile-ish in the half bath that you see above is very 'limp' and hangs a bit lower.

You can also place your tie knots so they don't appear in the front, simply by sliding the knot to the back; or tie them in a bow that you either place at the bottom or top of the treatment, or tie them in a nice knot, and put it at the bottom or top of the treatment.

Since the ties are just draped over the rod, the tie knot or bow can end up placed however and where ever on the rod you like. It's up to your imagination.

These don't take talent, just very basic sewing - they look nice because of the fabric and trim choices which for me, are ALWAYS sale fabrics, remnants or from eBay. It's a great way to get a custom look for very little.

Now, the crafts I make in the fall for Christmas - they take a BIT of talent. I use antique quilt scraps, vintage fur pieces, clay, paint, you name it, and come up with a variety of things, but that's for much later. :-) Here's a peek at a few. I made a star shape out of antique quilt scraps for the Santa's body, and stuffed it. I made his face from Sculpy that I baked and painted. His beard and hair are roving (raw wool) from a Cottswold sheep, and the brown fur around his face is from an old mink collar. My friends and family don't throw anything away until they show it to me first to see if I can make use of it.

I designed this bunny for a friend who has one as a pet, for a little surprise Christmas gift.

Loved this mouse from a pattern I got om eBay.

Another eBay pattern for the basic chickadee, made from muslin and painted. I added the scarf. They are our Maine state bird.

Talk about going OT - I'll be back later for the valance instructions! (But you can see that I really enjoy sewing!)

• estreya
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh, the creativity here never ceases to amaze.

• livestrong
    15 years ago

My3dogs,

Can't thank you enough for sharing your lovely home, your fabulous valances, and your darling creations. I am looking forward to your valance directions and checking out my fabric stash so I can get started! Thanks again!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Oh, those Christmas decorations are precious too.

• laurensmom21
    15 years ago

wow! You are sooo talented and generous to be sharing these with us! Thanks so much, and I look forward to the directions as well :)

your doggies are precious too!

• tinam61
    15 years ago

I want that rabbit!!!!!

I thought that was ribbon! I can sew and have done window treatments before. I look forward to seeing how long the rectangle is before you gather it up. Once I get one up and *fluffed* I won't be letting it down LOL! (I have blinds, so no need).

I think I have looked at these pics at least 10 times!

tina

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

I think your work and creativity are wonderful, and very professional... Lovely valances and crafts. Keep up all that creative living!
    Joann

• livvyandbella
    15 years ago

Oh my, I just LOVE your Santa. He looks like Santa. His face looks so real. I can just imagine how lovely your home looks for the holidays.
    Barb

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I don't know if I am the only one but I have spent almost half the day on ebay looking at fabrics... LOL. And I have never sewed anything in my life. My3dogs has got me going, I am determined to buy some fabric and make a valance. There are so many fabrics that I am a little overwhelmed. But it is fun.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

My3dogs, I love your pics. I know how to make that window treatment (have one in this room) but just wanted to say your taste is exquisite. Can I talk you into adding some pictures of your rooms to my gallery threads?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, oceanna...Thanks!

I'm so new that I haven't checked into the galleries yet. Is it just like adding photos here? I'd be honored once I see what I need to do, and where I need to place them.

I have posted the valance directions at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here they are!

• anele_gw
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the pictures and directions. I'm printing them out! You are really an inspiration . . .I've been staring at my living room, thinking about how I can get that same cozy, "thank goodness I'm home!" feeling that I get when I look at your house.

Oh, and recently I posted a question about what to do about an ugly window I have . . .and your WT is EXACTLY what I need to make it look great instead of an eyesore.

OT: Oceanna . . .I doubt you remember me, but I am glad you are back! I have been SO grateful for all of your gallery work!

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

my3dogs,
    thank you so much for the instructions. I too am printing them out.
    I have never sewed anything before , but I am going to start with a small bathroom window that is 22 inch. wide. Would I use the whole width,about 54 inches for that size window and then just decide on how long I want it to determine how much I need.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

My3dogs, if you close this thread and look at the top of the list of threads, you'll see a link to the Gallery, and also a link to "Conversations" (which is us talking about non-decor things). Click on Gallery. Please don't start a new thread in there, as every new thread kicks a really great one back to page 2. We have to keep rescuing the great threads which are the room threads and the color threads. After 150 posts they will die and drift away forever.

Anyhoo, go to the bedroom thread to post your bedroom, the bathroom thread to post your bath, and so on, if you're willing to put them in there. Hopefully those threads will be around for a long time, serving as an inspiration to everyone. :) You all are also welcome to post any of your favorite saved inspiration pictures in those threads. In fact if you wanted to, your whole house could go into the Cottage Decor thread. (That thread wasn't started by me but I added a few hundred pics to it). Your house is lovely!

Anele, I do remember you and thank you! I haven't really been gone from GW -- I've just been posting politics on their "Hot Topics" board. :)