Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

Per request, a few pics of My3dogs home interior

My3dogs ME zone 5A
15 years ago

Let me start by saying that I'm a newbie, and that my home is in southern Maine, near the coast. It is an old cape built in 1937, and a modest home of about 1700 sq. ft. I have owned it almost 22 years, and have added to it and updated it so it's perfect for me and 'my 3 dogs'! For those who haven't seen the exterior, here it is. I added the garage in the 90's.

I live on a small river which forms my irregular property line. I have many perennial beds...here are a few. This photo was taken in the spring, so not much is in bloom.

You enter through this 6' x 6' porch. 99% of furnishings, wall paper , chandy in here are from eBay.

I added this half bath years ago. The only bathrooms in the house when I bought it were upstairs and a 'rustic' one in the cellar!

I made the vanity from an old bureau that I bought for $100. Top is a remnant of Delicatus granite. Again, most accessories are from eBay.

Again, it's a modest home, and I remodeled the kitchen in the early 90's! It had a large wood stove in the kitchen when I bought it, 24" of counter space, and dark plywood cabinets. This remodel still works well for me today.

As you see from the above pic, some of the rooms still have their original, and beautiful (IMO) radiators. The house is primary heated with oil, but it also has electric heat, a gas fireplace in the LR that I put in, and the old kitchen wood stove is in the cellar now. I can use whatever is least expensive at the time, and won't freeze.

The back of the LR isn't that 'country, any more, and now looks more like this. The vintage secretary is the largest item I have ever bought on eBay. Hunting toile on the re-covered (but not by me) love seat is also from eBay.

I make all my own window treatments, and this is what is in the kitchen for the summer. A Pierre Deux 'Geraine' bargain from eBay.

Whatever fabric I use for the kitchen WTs, I also shirr on dowels that I mounted inside the glass doors, and use them to cover cook books etc, on the pantry wall in the kitchen.

Whew, I'll take a break and post a few more, if you want to see any....

Comments (206)

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

Wow, this is absolutely wonderful! (Even if it was posted initially in 2008!) I enjoyed looking at every photo, and thank you for sharing.

• amck2
    8 years ago

One of my favorite homes! The furnishings and decor are just perfect for the house, region and setting.

I'm glad you added the pics of the kitchen remodel. Love that island, ceiling light & sconces.

So nice to revisit the photos of the dogs...

Kept an eye open for your Marsh Master print (the heron). That must have been in another thread. And your painted sink.... So many distinctive touches in that Cape!

• Kippy
    8 years ago

I am so glad this thread was revived. I love your home. I enjoy the warmth of the colors you used, I usually stay in those but for moms place her collections would clash so I am learning to love a new color.

Have you changed much other than the kitchen ? Funny I was just thinking that I should see if I can do an Ikea back on a cabinet to add glass and back it with fabric. I need narrower than they offer with glass

I must have a dozen glass lamps from eBay. Guess they are out of style now but I love them

• mitchdesj
    8 years ago

Wow, so charming is an understatement, thanks for sharing the pictures and details ! you are so talented !

• gramarows
    8 years ago

So enjoyed seeing all the pics of your lovely home including the new ones of the kitchen. Like Kippy, I, too, wonder about other changes. I share your interest in loving to decorate with items with a history.

• LynnNM
    8 years ago

It was a trip back in time to see your beautiful home again, M3Ds, and such a nice one. I've loved and admired your home since I first saw it in these pics back in 2008. I've always thought of it as a jewel box, because wherever you look, there is some wonderful treasure of a piece. Don't stop posting updates, please.

• laughablemoments
    8 years ago

Ohhh, my...you have a lovely home! It's so nice to see someone enjoying their God-given talent in this way. I'm curious to know how you've blended in your pine pieces with the cooler, more neutral colors. They looked so nice with the warm reds and yellows, but I don't blame you a bit for wanting to change things up. : ) I have a number of pine pieces I've considered painting, but I really like the pine look, too! We have the same computer armoire, btw. : ) (Must stop gawking and get on task...)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You all have made me feel so wonderful this morning! It's a modest house, but I still love it and can't imagine being anywhere else - 7 miles from the house I grew up in.

Since I see it's not in this post, although many of you saw it in others, I'll add pics of the bathroom that my carpenter buddy helped me with in cellar in early 2011. The OLD toilet that came with the house, was dated in the early 40's, and it finally started to leak. It was just on the concrete floor, with a fiberglass shower enclosure next to it. I didn't use it, but the guys working on the house did. Jimmy (carpenter buddy) was spending more time here, so I bought a $600+ Toto toilet from a house flipping friend for $75, and when they dropped it off, I just couldn't put that shiny toilet on the cement floor. Here is the before, with the late Sammy checking out the 'water closet', after we took out the old toilet. See the rippled fiberglass that was the shower enclosure?

Everything that went into the new powder room came from Craigslist, eBay, remnant fabric bin (checked silk for valance) or was bought with coupons from Home Depot. What you'll see is now ALL GONE, due to a frozen ("frost free") outside sillcock for my hose in the back of the house, which was on the outside wall of the bathroom, and had been forever. I have new drywall, etc, but Jimmy's been so busy, that only the new floor is done, and the sink and toilet put back in so he can use it til we both get time to re-do the room. The fixtures are all OK, but the tile floor had to be ripped up and the walls were taken down up to about 3 feet from the floor. Here's what it did look like -

The Toto toilet that started it all, rotated 90 degrees from the way the original was, on our very first tile job.

Old oak hall tree mirror from my wonderful late ex-in-laws home in NY. They were going to leave it when they moved to Maine, and it was blackened with age, but when I decided to do the bathroom, it was perfect, so I cleaned it up.

From eBay, a hand painted Brittany oil from 1872. 3 of my 4 dogs are Brittanys.

Prints of antique lithographs of dogs and a wild turkey, as turkeys are plentiful in the yard in the winter.

Remnant silk that I'd had for years became a valance, and the would-you-believe perfect sized stained glass from CL that fit the window we added, as a bit of privacy screen.

Detail of some items on the shelf above the toilet. Jimmy and I both had very strong ideas of what to do in the bathroom, and there were times I wished I'd had some chloroform to quiet him down. :-) The leather stud box was an eBay find, and I just stumbled across it. I HAD to get it, as there were 4 self-professed 'studs' who worked on the bathroom in all, and this is a tribute to them. The ubiquitous Keep Calm...was a reminder to me.
    The shelf came from CL, and was taken from an old mansion in the Prout's Neck section of Scarborough , ME, the town I grew up in, miles away from the wealthy Prouts Neck. That is my late Dad's fishing creel, flies that he tied, antlers from a very small deer he got one year. We grew up on venison, pheasant, fish he caught, and fruits and veggies from Dad's huge garden and trees. That's his old shaving brush, a 1880's tole tray, the BOYS sign is an antique metal one that my late FIL gave me, a tiny antique book named Bad Dogs(!), framed repro scrimshaw, and an old Bombay Co clock from eBay.

The re-do is planned and this wallpaper from England has been purchased. I'd seen years ago on eBay and it was very expensive, but last year, I was researching it again, and got it on sale, shipped FREE from England at a fantastic price! I have faux wainscot in mind for the lower walls, but we'll see if that flies. He uses it as a 'reading room' so I want it to have an old library look.

I will also frame this print from Etsy for the room. I originally saw it on a post here, and found it very inexpensively on Etsy.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, and the 6 x 6' entry porch which had the Hitchcock bench (CL) in
    it shown above, now has this antique German piece (CL) that I got for
    $150!!!! It cost the sellers over $3,000 from an expensive shop in
    Kennebunkport, but they changed the decor in their summer place in
    Ogunquit and just wanted to get rid of it! LOVE it.

Have to show you the little metal sign also from FIL in there - see the green one? PLEASE REMOVE SPURS, and it's very old and something he got on a trip west. The little shed is one I had made by a man on eBay who would replicate a building and make a bird house.

My shed in the back yard, like the house, built in 1937, and the original owner built furniture in there. It used to be right next to the house, but I had it hauled down to the lower back yard when I added the garage.

• prettybluehouse
    8 years ago

It's all so pretty! What a beautiful home, My3dogs!

• schoolhouse_gw
    8 years ago

Well this is a great post, brought back to be enjoyed all over again with something(s) new too. Geeze, it's all lovely. You certainly have a natural talent. And I adore the shed.

Christine

• User
    8 years ago

I just love your house, and it's because of the way you've made it your home. Just beautiful, so welcoming and comfortable. Geez, you find good bargains!
    The coat rack mirror used in the cellar powder room - I have four metal hooks like those, but without the two small hooks on the bottom. They were my maternal great grandmothers. Used them years ago in our bathroom, but haven't here. Maybe next house. Are those original to the mirror? I always wondered how mine were used originally. The back has a bolt-like shape extension (not removable) so we had to make the hole large enough (last house) to sink them into the walls,

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

PrettyBlue, Schoolhouse, and Allison - HI! Schoolhouse and I have a lot of tastes in common, and I enjoy seeing pics of her old home, too.

Allison, yes, those hooks are original to the hall tree, the base of which stayed in their home in NY. The mirror was in their garage and I couldn't let it just stay there unused. If I recall correctly, there are square bolts holding the hooks to the mirror, but I'll see if I can get Jimmy to take it down briefly when he gets home today and I'll check. I know I was able to take them off when I re-finished it.

A few other recent CL finds that haven't found homes here yet, other than piling up in my dining room! I got this beautiful walnut antique mirror for $20, and cleaned it up. First pic is from the CL ad.

I took the mirror out to clean the wood. It was held in with old square nails.

Just propped on the mantel for now. Maybe it will be part of my fall mantel decor.

The tea caddy lamp next to it is one of a pair from eBay many years ago. Below is what the original design was after I had darkened up the bright colors on it. I saw a pricey tea caddy lamp, spray painted one navy blue earlier this year and made a faux antique. You can still see a bit of bright yellow under the gold I put on.

While picking up the mirror, I saw this great teak piece and for $75, had to have it. He'd just picked it up at an estate. It had a receipt in the top drawer showing that the owner had paid $310 for it in 2006. It's 58" tall, 24" wide at the base and a bit over 6" wide at the top. I took the pic as soon as I got it into the kitchen from the car. :-) I need to find the perfect spot for it, but something else will have to go.

I really like the heavy patina brass hardware.

• User
    8 years ago

Oh, no need to take it down! Sounds like what I have. Now I know how they were originally used. Thank you!

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

I've spent no less than 30 minutes looking at all the wonderfully photographed pictures of your home and property...AND of course the puppies! LOVE that breed :) This is so far from my style (nor would I be talented enough to decorate like you if it was my style) but I really like everything you've done. What a comfortable and inviting home. Can't imagine how "at home" I'd feel if I were a real guest vs a "cyber" guest :) The showstopper for me, however, is the location! OMGoodness! That river is beautiful! And that corded wall phone in the kitchen <lol> Is that old enough now to be called "vintage"? :) As a teenager, I remember stretching those cords as far as I could to get away from "prying" ears <g>

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ha, Monica - the phone in the kitchen was finally retired in the re-do this past winter. I bought the house in 1986, so it was pretty standard back then. Just got back from doing some errands and am about to go out and prune and weed in the yard. It's a lovely 72 degrees with low humidity, but by Sunday it will be in the 90s and sticky. I took today off, so have a 4 day stretch to do things around the house.

Riley, the oldest at 6-ish of my rescue dogs now, loves to share my CL Hancock Moore office chair with me. He usually only does it in cold weather, but for some odd reason, he' s been up here with me this week, just after I took an annual required online 'ergonomics' class for work. I laughed when he joined me as he and I in the same chair are just the opposite of ergonomic! I held my camera over my shoulder and got this.

• sunfeather
    8 years ago

I love your home - thank you for inviting us in for a visit :-)

• LynnNM
    8 years ago

More wonderful eye candy to drool over, M3D. Thank you!!

• User
    8 years ago

my3dogs,

I've seen photos of your home and projects in the past and really enjoyed seeing it all together. Thank you! May I ask about your computer armoire?I also spend a lot of time at the computer and love the idea of being able to hide away the clutter in a similar armoire. Is it a certain brand or model?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi, Evenshade, It's a Hooker brand armoire, but I've had it for many years, so I'm sure that it's discontinued. But it's worked out beautifully for me, as a person who works from home and is in front of it for as many as 14 hours a day.

This isn't Hooker, and it's fancier style-wise than mine, but the interior of mine is just like the one at this link as far as layout. http://www.officefurniture2go.com/product/IHA306/Computer-Armoire-by-DMI-Office-Furniture.aspx?cat=101A02A02-IHA306&gdftrk=gdfV23206_a_7c1034_a_7c3216_a_7cIHA306#.VexCdZerHfc

• jaybirdtx
    6 years ago

Hi there,

I have been watching your home since 1999 or thereabouts, but this is wonderful having everything in one post!! You know that I love the pupsters, and your deco style! I have been nosing around a bit on THS and just found this post. Thank you for a wonderful morning's visit!

Blessings,

J

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked jaybirdtx
  • IdaClaire
    6 years ago

Jaybird! I remember you! (I used to be "Aunt Jen.") So lovely to "see" you here again!

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked IdaClaire
  • jaybirdtx
    6 years ago

Great to see you too...I have often wondered where you were and thought about your wonderfully colorful home!!

email me when you have a moment:

likestoreadblogs @ gmail

Blessings,

J

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

Oh what a great thread!! Was hard to see all the pics because not all the links in the initial post worked for me, but what I saw I loved loved loved

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful home

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked aprilneverends
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, Ladies! I'm so glad that you got together over this old nugget.

Jaybird, a lot has changed since this post, but I still love my little piece of Maine, and my three current doggie kids, who are all rescues.

Riley on the floor, Ginger on the left of the sofa and Rooney on the right. Sadly, Jenny, Sam and Joey way up thread are gone, but the kids are just as loving and sweet.

• User
    6 years ago

Your capabilities always astound me, in addition to the obvious love you have for your home! It really goes without saying, but here goes: THE DOGS ARE THE BEST DECOR!

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked User
  • IdaClaire
    6 years ago

Jaybird, I emailed you. :-)

• Tara
    6 years ago

What a warm cozy home you've created! I truly admire your eye for decorating and your bargain hunting skills! Is your kitchen chandelier vintage too? I've been searching for something like it for the last year and haven't found the perfect one so far.

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked Tara
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank-you, Tara! This is an old post and some things have changed. Which chandelier did you mean? The iron one with the pear center when the kitchen was red, or the current brass one?

The one with the pear center was bought locally in Maine several years ago, and I haven't seen it available since then.

The brass one is made by Hudson Valley, and I bought it in 2015. I can look back through paperwork on the kitchen 'face-lift' and see if I can find the name and model number, if that is the one you meant.

• Tara
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I meant the new brass one. Thank you so much for letting me know it's Hudson Valley! I better get down to googling!! No hurry, but of course I'd love to have the name and model number if you can find it.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

All my favorite books are set in houses that look like yours in my imagination. Thank you for sharing such lovely and inspiring images.

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • purrus
    6 years ago

Wonderful house! Great work!!

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked purrus
  • User
    6 years ago

Wow, what a great home! And a great thread. Thank you!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Tara, I was mistaken. Most of the lights I have used recently are Hudson Valley. The kitchen ceiling fixture is Minka Lavery 4175 Harbour Point 21 Inch Wide 5 Light Chandelier

Sadly, I have looked at several sites online and have not been able to find it available now, but keep looking! Some sites say to contact them for something similar, which may be worth a try.

I did find this one, which is similar at Lamps Plus, in bronze - Minka Harvard Court Collection 6-Light Chandelier - Style # N7187

and there are more HERE, of that brand.

• cattyles
    6 years ago

I can't believe I had never seen this post! Love, love, love everything about your house and doggies! Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked cattyles
  • rubyclaire
    6 years ago

What a treat to see your home! You have an idyllic setting and have created a beautiful, comfortable space. I love your style - thanks for sharing over the years!

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked rubyclaire
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, THANKS! I bought this place in late 1986, and have made lots of changes to the original house that looked like a little red school house, but I know it will be my forever house, as I still love and appreciate it every day.

Who wouldn't like to look out at this from their bed every morning, with my garden shed on the left? :-)

• Susan Ezell
    6 years ago

Just beautiful!

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked Susan Ezell
  • nutsaboutplants
    6 years ago

My favorite home. Ever. Wish I had your vision, talent and loving attention to details!

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked nutsaboutplants
  • 3katz4me
    6 years ago

Old as this thread is I hadn't seen it before. I love your home and its beautiful setting. Just my cup of tea - a warm, cozy, inviting collection of unique, personalized things. It's perfect!

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked 3katz4me
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You folks are almost making me cry! I just brought up my office spring/summer window treatments to press and put up, and these sweet comments will get me through the task of ironing the 10 panels! Of course, Riley, Rooney and Ginger are right here to help me. :-)

• Tara
    6 years ago

Thank you for researching the brass chandelier for me! That was very kind! Love love your home, the grounds and the dogs!

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked Tara
  • Bunny
    6 years ago

I've never seen this thread before either. What a happy find for me this morning.

3dogs, I love your house, your style, your spirit and your pups. I wish I could visit you.

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked Bunny
  • magnaverde
    6 years ago

I agree with everybody else. Your house is a knockout, and it only seems to get better as time goes on.

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked magnaverde
  • User
    6 years ago

❤️

• Sugar Plum
    6 years ago

I love, love, love your home! Timeless, classic beauty, and obviously furnished with things that you cherish and have collected over time. Thank you for sharing with us!

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked Sugar Plum
  • Laurie Gordon
    6 years ago

What a treat this morning revisiting this thread. it truly is one of the loveliest homes on the internet. My3dogs, you have a wonderful eye and each room reflects your exquisite style and taste.

My3dogs ME zone 5A thanked Laurie Gordon
  • Cyndi Charney
    2 years ago

Hi! I remember when you were Brittany_Dog_Mom on the HGTV General Decorating forum. You shared instructions for your bathroom valance that I used to make valances for my own house. Do you have a public Instagram account?

• jaybirdtx
    2 years ago

I too have looked for you on Instagram, with no success. Are you posting pictures of your beautiful home anywhere?

Thanks, and blessings to you!