Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wncang

What about your outlet covers?

wncang
10 years ago

We recently finished painting our house's interior Edgecombe gray. The trim is Swiss Coffee. There are lots and lots of outlet covers.
I'm not sure what I should do regarding the outlet covers. The outlet covers I unscrewed before painting are the cheap almond colored plastic plates. The almond color definitely does not blend with the walls. Should I just use a roller and paint the plates Edgecombe gray? I've tried to find a a spray paint that matches the Edgecombe gray because I think the application would look smoother than using a roller or brush on the plates, with no success.
Would you just paint the plates Edgecombe gray with a roller? Thanks for your advice.

Comments (18)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

You can paint what you have but I'd prefer to use the metal ones that are meant to be painted because the paint sticks better. They have a very slight texture to them, like rolled drywall.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I paint the plastic covers with wall paint using a brush, two coats. I start by using a spray primer. They hold up well.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    10 years ago

I agree with dlm above, I find the paint adheres better to the textured metal ones. A foam roller will leave a very smooth coat; I like the 4 inch rollers for such purposes. I'm getting ready to paint some in my house and will be using this method.

• lizzie_nh
    10 years ago

Frankly I prefer to see white outlet covers in most rooms and don't like the look of wall color on outlet covers, but I may be a weirdo. Our house has a million outlets (and switches), too - 11 just in the kitchen.

I guess it depends on your trim color. I have white trim and white ceilings throughout and the contrast of white outlet covers to the wall colors looks good to me, even on the switches which are higher up the wall. And they're the cheap plastic kind - but NOT almond, which I always think looks dated or even like discolored white. There's nothing wrong with plastic outlet covers as long as they are in a non-offensive color and kept clean (and have totally clean lines... no embossed decoration around the edges, or anything. These are 10 years old and in perfect shape, still a crisp white.

I have metal ones to match all of the fixtures in the bathrooms.

Painted plates, to me, spells "possible upkeep," too.

• lizzie_nh
    10 years ago

Boy I wish we could edit our posts.

In the event that you paint plastic covers, this is what I would do. I feel like I have painted every possible surface under the sun:

1.) Clean them well and let them dry.

2.) Using a small high density foam roller, prime with Glidden Gripper, which is AMAZING and will make paint stick to just about anything. It's possible you'll find the roller sliding around because it has nothing to grab onto, so you may end up using a foam brush for the priming step, but in the end the high density foam roller is key to a perfectly smooth finish.

3.) Paint one or two coats of finish color using high density foam roller.

• wncang
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, I will paint the outlet covers the wall color after giving them a good cleaning. I'll purchase a foam roller and primer on my way home from work. Thanks for your excellent advice, it's much appreciated!

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

I always paint mine to match the walls.

And lizzie, you CAN edit your posts if you choose to do so!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

They also sell clear ones. I used RH dark bronze on mine and love the look.

• fivefootzero
    10 years ago

If you paint the covers, what do you do with the outlets and/or switches? Wouldn't they still stick out like a sore thumb? I think I'd much rather have the white outlet/white cover plates than just the outlets themselves staring at me.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

I prefer white outlet covers and switch plates to match trim. Winter surfaces get grungy from all the handling (especially light switches).

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I had the same thoughts as fivefootzero. Once you paint the covers, aren't you left with little sections of ivory switches and outlets staring at you?
    You can find gray colored covers online, and maybe in some stores, but you'll still be left with ivory unless you're willing to change out all the outlets and switches.

• User
    10 years ago

I spray prime mine followed by two coats of wall paint. I also paint the screw with a small brush.

They do make solid covers where the whole thing can be painted so you see no white (not for light switches though). I used these around our backsplash. You can order them online but they were more expensive. Home Depot carries them for $1.50 a piece.

I also pain all vents.

• wncang
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes, I wondered about the outlets also. Mine are almond color, and match the original almond plate covers. I think we will just have to live with the almond outlets for now, although white would look much better. Sheesharee, I thought about painting the little screws also. I will paint the outlet covers, remount them to the wall, then paint all the little screws with a little dab of wall paint. My husband will think I've completely lost it. He doesn't understand why we don't simply remount the almond outlet covers.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I've decided to change to white. I'm painting all the trim either white, or if a seperate room and I feel like using the lightest color on the card, I'll do that. Still blends with the white swiches and such. Much less stressful and it's consistent from room to room.

Changing out standard outlets and switches is very easy if you have even a speck of DIY or adventure or ability to read a tutorial. I'm changing all my flip switches to the rectangle rocker type.

Just make sure you have a tester handy and check each outlet before changing it to be sure it is off, even if the other outlet on the plate is off, even if you think the circuit breaker is off, even if you tested it 15 minutes ago.

Each outlet and switch will have printed on it what it's rated for, just match what's there.

• User
    10 years ago

I dislike the look of way painted outlet and switch covers. They wouldn't last a week in my house, anyway. In our kitchen we have stainless steel retro looking covers, as they looked much better on the white subway tile than anything else. All others are white, trim is white, it is not "look" but a function.

• Ashsmith1972
    10 years ago

Mine are not painted, and I prefer it that way. I have plain white outlet covers. They match my trim paint. I also have a child and a husband who sometimes come indoors with grungy fingers, and the plastic is very easy to wipe down with Windex.

I also like the look of painted covers, but they just aren't very practical for my needs. I also have terrible eyesight, and the contrasting white makes it easier for me to see to flip a switch if I haven't put on my contacts or eyeglasses yet. The white keeps me from feeling all over the walls looking for the switch.

In my kitchen, I do have bronze metal covers simply because they blend well with the slate backsplash and match the faucets. I can also see the light switch because it is darker than the wall color.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I never liked the look of painted outlet covers, so I've left mine plain. On my todo list is to replace them with the wall paper switch covers where you slip paper inside and it's clear plastic on the outside. You can paint paper to match your wall color and then slip it inside. The switches disappear and yet they are easy to clean being plastic.

Someone suggested...was it here?....that you take a photo of your backsplash, print it out and then use that paper to make your outlets in the backsplash disappear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clear wallpaper switch plates