Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Adding height to table

bbstx
9 years ago

The apron of our breakfast table is slightly too low for DH to get his legs under the table. It is an antique, so I do not want to modify the apron. That only leaves raising the table. It needs to go up about an inch for DH to be comfortable.

It is a barley twist pub table with 4 legs. I thought about adding sliders to each leg, but I don't think I can get an inch out of a slider.

Ideas?

Comments (22)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd shim it where the legs are attached underneath the table.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

So it seems to me that your only choices are to either trim the apron by an inch, or add 1" feet to the table.

But I'm confused. Don't the legs come off?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Casters?

Or maybe add stained half wood balls (is that too weird)

• User
    9 years ago

It would be easier to make the chairs shorter than to do questionable alterations to a potentially valuable antique table.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I would buy a dowel or something of that nature, of the same size and shape as the bottom of the leg. Cut it to fit and stain it to match the table.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Go to Pinterest and look at the ideas that others have used for bed risers. Maybe one of them will work for your table. For example, one person used PVC pipe to raise the legs on a folding table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed risers on Pinterest

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I second the casters idea. You can buy the kind that lock so your table doesn't scoot around. You may be lucky and already have the holes drilled in the bottom of the legs.

ML

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Can you post a photo of the table?

If it were me, I would follow nosoccermom's advice and add a bit of oak trim to the bottom of each leg. You can get all kinds of shapes -- if you Google -- look for oak turnings or mouldings or spindles -- all different sizes and shapes. I'm sure you can find something that can be fitted to the bottoms of the table legs, stained to match.

Here is one... they call this one an "oil drum", lol...

Here is a link that might be useful: California Dowel and Turnings Co.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are pictures of the table.

Table and chairs:
    {{!gwi}}

Close up of table leg:
    {{!gwi}}

Close up of underside of table showing how leg is attached:
    {{!gwi}}

As I was taking the pictures, I think I discovered a solution. The table has draw leaves on 2 sides. The leaves are apronless. Perhaps I'll just pull out a leaf and seat DH on that side of the table.

We have used this table for 25 years. Sometimes it has been a breakfast room table, sometimes it is used as an end table. This is the first time he's ever complained of the apron!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous table. I, too, have a tall DH, whose knees were an issue with the table I absolutely wanted. If you can't have him sit at the side with the leaf, is there a way you could make his seat cushion flatter?

Or look into casters

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 14:08

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Looking at the photo of your table, I'm wondering if you don't already have leg-extenders. Can you unscrew those feet at the bottom of the legs?

Anyhow. What you want are bun-feet. You can get them in oak, here...

Scroll down for all different sizes and shapes.

Here is a link that might be useful: bun feet

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nsm, I have never seen a barley twist table with casters before. When you first posted them, I couldn't envision it. But I really really like the picture of the table! Thanks for the detective work!

Do you think those casters would play nicely with a seagrass rug? Would they put too much weight in a too small footprint?

mc, the leg is all one piece. Or, if it isn't, the bottom element doesn't easily unscrew. Considering the construction of the table, I suspect if it isn't one piece, then it is doweled and glued.

I think I'm going to pull out one of the leaves when we use the table and if that doesn't work, then I'll look at the casters. Adding a one inch bun foot would come next, but getting a good color match will be a challenge.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That is a gorgeous table and looks like the real deal. I think nosoccermom's idea of casters is a good one. That table would look very nice on casters, IMO.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Such a pretty table! Hobby Lobby has quite a few wood pieces available to use as height adjusters.

• bestyears
    9 years ago

I have a barley twist table too, and I think casters would look great. I would think you would want locking ones -?-

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a nice selection....

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I have a barley twist drop-leaf table. Love barley twist! I would not mess with your table or chairs. I think if you have to do anything - if it were me - casters would be the only thing I'd try.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I have a table with casters (6, but only 4 are touching the floor when the table isn't extended) on a seagrass rug. No problem whatsover; it's been about 2 1/2 years now.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for the many compliments on the table. Mom bought a pair -- one for me and one for my sister. We have both enjoyed using them over the years.

I appreciate the info, nsm. If I have to go that route, it is good to know that casters probably won't hurt the rug.

This may all be "overcome by circumstances." I ordered bar stools today. Because it is just we two, we will probably eat at the bar more often than at the table.

• cat_ky
    9 years ago

My daughter has my grandmothers table, and had the same problem. She went to the home center and bought the bun type feet, and her hubby attached them to the legs, and now it is a perfect height for everyone. With matching stain, they look like they belong on the table.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

If you are handy enough to remove the apron, I would buy an ornate table leg with four identical rounds and use a cut off saw. Then drill the holes for screws to raise the table. Easier to find the height needed. But I really like the idea of rollers. They would need the inserts in table legs to fit.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, tech, but that my skills and tools were up to the level you suggest. It gives me the willies to just contemplate hanging a picture!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21