Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best temporary window coverings?

Posted by aeason (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 9:25

We will be moving soon and none of the windows will have any coverings. We'll have to supply it all.

What's the best way to temporarily cover up windows? I have no idea if I want to do shutters, curtains, etc...So I don't want any drill holes or tack marks until I decide.

My husband wants to just tape up newspaper or hang sheets. Um, no. LOL. I'd like something a little better looking.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best temporary window coverings?

Home depot and walmart etc etc. sell nice pleated heavy paper shades.
http://www.redishade.com/

o

The redishades are wonderful. We moved into our house 1 1/2 years ago and still have them up. You can get a paper version or a version that looks more like fabric. If you have children, you can even let them decorate the ones for their rooms with stickers, stamps, etc.

o

That is why I love this website...this post could not have come at a better time. We move in on Wednesday and I was freaking out over what to use as temporary window treatments. I have never heard of these things before but I am off to Home Depot to buy some!!!

Thanks!!!

o

I have never heard of these before. They're perfect, thanks so much!

o

Beware, I still have them hanging in my master bath after 8 months, lol.

They sure give you the time to decide what you really want instead of rushing to a decision.

o

I still have some of my paper shades up now and it's a 1 1/2. Just getting ready to get rid of the one in my LR. I find it so funny that I receive compliments on them since people don't realize their paper.

I take them down as I decide on what to do with the windows.

o

My windows are 36" wide and too long for redishades to work well. I bought inexpensive, single-bed, flat sheets. For each window, I folded a sheet over at the top and used 3 thumbtacks along the fold to attach the sheet to the top side of the molding. The sheet hangs down to the floor. The thumbtacks are hidden by the fold, and the foldover makes a valance. I use a shoelace, which I attached to the side of the molding with another thumbtack, as a tieback during the day. At night I untie the shoelace, and we have privacy. The sheet is wider than my windows, and the extra material drapes (pun?) gracefully to the side. If I had had any idea that my temporary curtains would still be in use 11 months later, I would have done a neater job with the thumbtacks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instant curtains

o

I think I win the readishade award - 5 yrs and counting on my arch window over the sink in the kitchen (we're about to start the kit reno)! My then new neighbors across the street gave them to us, LOL!

Very clever iread06.

o

I use cheap flat sheets also, but I hang them from tension rods. That way I can open and close them.

o

When he moved, my dad bought some white plastic table cloths from a party store and I thought they looked just like white roller shades the way he had them hung. They hang very smoothly. I love the Redi-shade idea, but if they don't fit on your windows the table cloth idea might work. I suppose you could even buy different colors if you were feeling daring.

o

I was looking for a temporary covering that didn't look temporary. I found Quik Curtains - they look & feel like cotton, they are even washable. You can cut them to size without hemming. They have a rod pocket & I hung them on tension rods. My kids tie dyed theirs and they are still hanging! They have been a perfect solution. I also took a few panels and strung them on a clothes line in my unfinished basement. They are a great way to cover up the cinder block walls and give my kids the feel of a music "studio" with four "walls" instead of the cold open space they didn't want to be in. They are thrilled and we can hear again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Quik Curtains

o

I also LOVE Quik Curtains!!! I am a Production Designer in Los Angeles (as well as an Architect) and I have used Quik Curtains on numerous film sets! They are totally easy to use- you can cut them- put them on a rod in two seconds- color them- change their look- anything! Also- they 'billow' divinely! You're probably looking for mere window treatments- but let me assure you- they not only function beautifully- they're cinematic!

Here is a link that might be useful: Quik Curtains

o

I have never heard of quick curtains before,I knew tempo shade because after my new house finished I use that paper blinds for a while.Impressive I still remember the visual effects from out side when they were fixed on my new large windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: tempo shade

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here