Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aeason_gw

Best temporary window coverings?

aeason
15 years ago

We will be moving soon and none of the windows will have any coverings. We'll have to supply it all.

What's the best way to temporarily cover up windows? I have no idea if I want to do shutters, curtains, etc...So I don't want any drill holes or tack marks until I decide.

My husband wants to just tape up newspaper or hang sheets. Um, no. LOL. I'd like something a little better looking.

Thanks

Comments (14)

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    15 years ago

The redishades are wonderful. We moved into our house 1 1/2 years ago and still have them up. You can get a paper version or a version that looks more like fabric. If you have children, you can even let them decorate the ones for their rooms with stickers, stamps, etc.

• vegas_t
    15 years ago

That is why I love this website...this post could not have come at a better time. We move in on Wednesday and I was freaking out over what to use as temporary window treatments. I have never heard of these things before but I am off to Home Depot to buy some!!!

Thanks!!!

• aeason
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have never heard of these before. They're perfect, thanks so much!

• parma42
    15 years ago

Beware, I still have them hanging in my master bath after 8 months, lol.

They sure give you the time to decide what you really want instead of rushing to a decision.

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

I still have some of my paper shades up now and it's a 1 1/2. Just getting ready to get rid of the one in my LR. I find it so funny that I receive compliments on them since people don't realize their paper.

I take them down as I decide on what to do with the windows.

• iread06
    15 years ago

My windows are 36" wide and too long for redishades to work well. I bought inexpensive, single-bed, flat sheets. For each window, I folded a sheet over at the top and used 3 thumbtacks along the fold to attach the sheet to the top side of the molding. The sheet hangs down to the floor. The thumbtacks are hidden by the fold, and the foldover makes a valance. I use a shoelace, which I attached to the side of the molding with another thumbtack, as a tieback during the day. At night I untie the shoelace, and we have privacy. The sheet is wider than my windows, and the extra material drapes (pun?) gracefully to the side. If I had had any idea that my temporary curtains would still be in use 11 months later, I would have done a neater job with the thumbtacks.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

I think I win the readishade award - 5 yrs and counting on my arch window over the sink in the kitchen (we're about to start the kit reno)! My then new neighbors across the street gave them to us, LOL!

Very clever iread06.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

I use cheap flat sheets also, but I hang them from tension rods. That way I can open and close them.

• trinityklm
    15 years ago

When he moved, my dad bought some white plastic table cloths from a party store and I thought they looked just like white roller shades the way he had them hung. They hang very smoothly. I love the Redi-shade idea, but if they don't fit on your windows the table cloth idea might work. I suppose you could even buy different colors if you were feeling daring.

• karinct
    13 years ago

I was looking for a temporary covering that didn't look temporary. I found Quik Curtains - they look & feel like cotton, they are even washable. You can cut them to size without hemming. They have a rod pocket & I hung them on tension rods. My kids tie dyed theirs and they are still hanging! They have been a perfect solution. I also took a few panels and strung them on a clothes line in my unfinished basement. They are a great way to cover up the cinder block walls and give my kids the feel of a music "studio" with four "walls" instead of the cold open space they didn't want to be in. They are thrilled and we can hear again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Quik Curtains

• amy_architect
    13 years ago

I also LOVE Quik Curtains!!! I am a Production Designer in Los Angeles (as well as an Architect) and I have used Quik Curtains on numerous film sets! They are totally easy to use- you can cut them- put them on a rod in two seconds- color them- change their look- anything! Also- they 'billow' divinely! You're probably looking for mere window treatments- but let me assure you- they not only function beautifully- they're cinematic!

Here is a link that might be useful: Quik Curtains

• david312
    11 years ago

I have never heard of quick curtains before,I knew tempo shade because after my new house finished I use that paper blinds for a while.Impressive I still remember the visual effects from out side when they were fixed on my new large windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: tempo shade

• Bella Bella
    4 years ago

I think this is what you want--> https://amzn.to/2DONCNw