Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finallyhome_gw

What to to today?

finallyhome
9 years ago

I've got so many things I need to buy for the home and am just overwhelmed. It includes everything from new mattress/box spring (now have full size on new queen bed), window coverings ("temporary" paper shades in living room, and brown paper in bedroom. Now over 1 year.), new TV (current picture is darker on the bottom 2/3 than the top - been that way 2+ years), new computer (current one is 5+ years old and the "d" and "r" top is missing), to decorative items such as guest bathroom rugs.

I'm not a big time shopper and i've let things get backed up and the list got worse after I brought the new-to-me house.

BUT, bills haven't been paid this month, filing hasn't been done, fridge need to be cleaned out and I brought work home from office.

What would you do on a pretty Saturday? I'm on overload!

Comments (7)

• peegee
    9 years ago

Easy! Make a cup of tea, coffee, or smoothie, etc. and sit back and pay the bills. That will be a big load off your shoulders. When done, take a break and and try to decide which to you is the next most important thing to do. Probably fridge then filing. Then go out and get fresh air. Maybe a nice stroll around. Most of the rest sounds not so important on the priority rating scale that they can't wait till next week or month! Take deep slow breaths and listen to soothing music if it helps too! good luck!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

GEt the icky out of the way first, i.e.: paying bills, and then you can enjoy the rest more!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Pay your bills, buy the mattress and box spring, then go outside and enjoy your yard. Do the filing at night when you can't do anything else.

Congratulations on your new home!

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

Don't make big purchases under duress. It usually doesn't turn out well. Take Peegee's great advice.

Then...

Make a list of what you need and what it costs. Prioritize the list and then make your purchases in order of the priority. If budget isn't an issue, then still make that list and go out only when you're ready for shopping. When there, if you aren't sure, then buy it on your next trip out.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Great advice! Pretty much what I'd do. When you get around to the shopping, with the exception of your mattress and box spring, look for used bargains. The TV would top my list for a used buy. Many people don't want to transport them when they move so they post them (and a bunch of other furniture) on craigslist. If you're looking for drapes/curtains, look no further than Goodwill for amazing prices. I detest shopping, but bargain-hunting can make it a little more fun.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Iôm the ride and chaperone for a bunch of kids at an indoor gym place. In an industrial complex so nothing to do nearby, luckily they have wifi and barely functional AC! One hour down, one more to go! See, it could be worse!!!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I'm a list maker, so I agree with posters who recommended making a list and prioritizing it. I feel much more in control with my list in hand. It keeps me on track and eases the decision making about what to do next. I also take a great deal of pleasure in crossing things off the list once they are completed.

Honestly, it sounds like you have a lot of stress in your life right now. Pay the bills, then go do something you love to do and let everything else wait.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz