Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tole tray hung

Posted by holly-kay (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 9:12

DH was on a road trip (car show) last week and he found this for me at a flea market. They were given out as awards to top Studebaker dealerships.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tole tray hung

Love it! I love tole.

o

Beautiful, Holly-Kay, the colors are perfect!

o

Thank you foxes, I do also. The tray is actually much larger than it appears in the photo. I think adding another tray may overwhelm the wall so I will probably keep it the way it is.

o

Very pretty!
Some of the best gifts are the unexpected ones!

o

I too love tole. Have a few, and one like yours. I actually use one behind stovetop, ane it's held up well. Did someone say yours looks a wee bit lonesome? Seems like the wall could hold another....uh oh! You'll get hooked!
Marti

o

I love it, holly-kay. I have a tole tray waiting to be hung, so, if you don't mind, I'd like to know how you hung the tray. Mine is approximately 17" X 21". Yours appears to be larger than that.

o

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Martinca, I have a tole tray behind my cooktop also. Great minds think alike.

Bac I used a Disc Adhesive plate hanger in the 5.5 inch size. They work great in that size but the 4 inch ones that I bought for some of my china plates won't adhere. My tray is 27" X 20".

o

Holly-kay, what a thoughtful husband! :-)

I know little about tole, and have a question--is the term in reference only to the painted products? I seem to recall a needlepoint chair cushion very similar in design that my grandmother had. When I saw your photo here, it reminded me of that chair.

(And, on your table, are those dried hydrangeas from your garden?)

o

Peony, I love when DH brings me something special. He is so good to me.

Yes tole refers to hand painted items. Lampshades, trays, and desk sets are some of the items that were often painted. Probably your DG's needlepoint is a floral tapestry. I love needlepoint also!

The dried hydrangeas are indeed from my yard. They are among my favorites!

o

Good grief! I have that one too !! Ahhh, excellent taste we share. ; D

o

Thank you for the information, Holly-kay. Enjoy your tray--and those lovely hydrangeas!

o

Holly-Kay, very nice tray! I agree with martinca--- tole trays look nice as a collection. And, yes, collecting tole can become addictive ;-)

I have a few trays of various sizes in my kitchen. They come in other colors, but I like the ones with a black background best.

o

Pink, I love your collection! I purchased my first tole tray about 5 years ago for less than $20. I fell in love and have been haunting antique and consignment shops since. I have never found one as nice so haven't purchased additional until I found a blue and white one several weeks ago that I hung in my bedroom. Then DH brought this one for me. I don't care for the blue and white. I purchased two on e-bay last night. One is cream and the other is black. I want to replace the blue one with the cream and I will probably hang the black one with the one DH gifted me with. I am vowing to stay off ebay for awhile.

o

Local estate sales and auctions are good places to find tole, too. You have an opportunity to carefully examine the pieces for rust or for unskilled painting on top of the original paint.

I know what you mean about staying off EBAY. LOL.

o

Very nice, Holly-kay. And your collection is great, Pink.

o

Here is a nice site about collecting tole trays.

http://www.vignettedesign.net/2012/04/timeless-tole-trays.html

Enjoy!!

o

PP, Thank you for that post. I never even considered them grandmotherly but if they are I still love them. To me they are just utterly charming. I love the huge display with all the different colored ones but the black ones are the most beautiful.

o

Very nice! It does seem a bit lonely, or maybe a little high on the wall? Could just be the angle of the photo, though :)

o

I also love tole, lamps, trays, whatever ! I have several trays IN A BOX in the garage which I completely forgot about until I saw yours, which by the way is beautiful.

How sweet of DH to start a new collection for you. ;)

o

Errant, I think it looks to be the right height in person but I am so not good at determining how high to hang items so you may be right.

Pattycakes get those boxes out and hang those trays! :)

o

On dear, here comes a gw expression I've forgotten, but the gist of it is how one innocent little thing can bring on an avalanche of to-dos. Seeing pinkpaula's gorgeous grays, makes wonder if you might think about a shelf to hold your beginning collection. Make it two, to wrap the corner.
Yes, country and cottage can merge into granny, but granny can be chic as well. ( see photo)

o

Here 's my fifty year old green tole lamp. Probably " granny ", but so am I , and I still like it. :)

o

Holly and all: Those black trays are just lovely and I have just the spot in my DR for a couple. I may have to start hunting. Thanks for the inspiration!

martinca: If you Give a Mouse a Cookie...........

o

Mart, I love your tole lamp! I would love to find a black one for my LR, and I love the trays hanging over the chairs. Thanks for posting it!

o

So pretty!

Of course, I had no idea what tole was.

o

Thanks, holly. Years ago I considered painting it . So glad I didn't.
Justretired: LOL
Here's another in my cottagey' guest room.

o

Be still my heart! I think that is the prettiest one I have ever seen! Thanks for sharing Marti.

o

Well. I have to have that tray!!! Gorgeous.

o

Thank you both! It is pretty, but I never appreciated it as much as the others because the lavender colors limit it's use to me. I remember reading this advice: "If you absolutely love something , buy it. It will find a place."
And, sometimes, I've found, it will be the catalyst to a whole new look.

o

Martinca, I love your lamp!

For the sake of educating myself, can I ask what makes it a "tole" lamp? And what would make any painted lamp *not* a tole lamp? I'm trying to understand the distinction.

o

Peony, this is from Wiki pedia.

Here is a link that might be useful: tole painting history

o

I think "decorator creep" may have been the phrase you were looking for, martinca.

BTW, I think I have a very similar "granny" lamp! I think the shade is identical. I have had it for as long as I can remember. I've always loved it, but have never been sure about it's origins/age/style/etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here