Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tesmith_gw

Bedroom help please

tesmith
10 years ago

Looking at redoing bedroom for my 15 year old daughter. I need your creative ideas and suggestions!

She loves the looks of these two of these comforter sets
but she wants more pizzaz for her wall color(s) than their examples show.

Choice 1 she thinks this looks so clean and likes the way the yellow color pops

She wants a little more color for the walls Even if we go 2 or 3 walls one color and then the remaining walls a color.
Pastels or bolds are acceptable to her
I was thinking at first a sage green on all walls but that is not exciting, it is a color she thinks is calming and peaceful though. ! Then I was thinking maybe a pale blue on a couple walls and maybe a deeper blue on the opposite walls, then with the gray and yellow on the comforter maybe lavender and a purple.......What do you think of any of these or do you have any suggestions?

Choice 2
She likes But in my mind I am thinking there are not as many possibilities of color schemes with this one

Of corse I am thinking a lavender on all walls or a darker purple on one and lavender on 3 of course the gray but she wants more color. I do not have other ideas I am striking out!

So of these two, which do you think for a 15 year old girl, she is a twin and she is more conservative on the whole likes clean and not gaudy Her description was a bright clean happy room with a little bit of color!

While we are at it she has chestnut colored wooden floors so I could use rug color suggestions as well. I will do one rug a little larger or maybe two smaller ones

I am also wondering if I should play with some led rope lights or such in there for her to give her a little something extra?

Finally would adding a wall graphic such as
the vinyl tree limb graphic be a plus or tacky?

Any help and suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated. I have been beating myself up with this for two weeks and am stuck. Our deal was she would pick a comforter set, I would pick and do the rest

Of note we were walking through walmart and she saw the Disney paint display and Loved the colored chalkboard paints but the colors are limited.
Paint lines I have available are anything HD sells (Behr, Glidden, etc) and BM

Comments (15)

• MiMi
    10 years ago

Those are at Kohl's aren't they? Both are very pretty... I saw them on their web site. If you decide to order one I have an additional 30% off coupon code I would be glad to share with you.. I think it expires in a day or two, then I have a 20% off.

• birdgardner
    10 years ago

Grey would work well with the both sets. The yellow would look great with a turquoise accent wall - not too deep; and the lavender with a paler yellow-green.

If those are at Kohl's take in some paint chips, and compare. And put the comforters in the cart and tote them round the store to see how they play with other colors.

• tesmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually in my case they are from overstock. Overstock has a lower published price than Kohls and I have a email loyalty coupon from them that takes it lower than Kohls even with the 30% off, But I thank you for the kind offer.

Since I am ordering on line I will wait til they are in hand to actually go get paints so I can work with shades.
    for better matching the colors

Yes the grays would work well with both but again Daughter is wanting to clear away from the grays. I maybe could do a gray as an accent wall if it was the right looks.

I have to decide yellow or the purple set by Saturday as my extra discount is going to expire Sunday!
    So keep any suggestions coming! Trying to come up with the paint scheme and the best idea will help me decide which set to order!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I'd get the yellow bedding because I just happen to love gray/yellow together, then I'd match ONE wall color -- probably the headboard wall -- to the bright yellow that's in the bedding, then do the other three walls maybe 1/2 strength (or even lighter, depending on the color) of the accent wall color. So, three light yellow walls and one bold yellow wall.

I think a tree branch decal would be cute but I wouldn't do black, I'd do dark gray. I have a tree branch next to a window in my DD's room, with a bird on it (part of the decal), and I've been meaning to buy a small white birdhouse to hang on the wall among the branches. That might be a cute idea for you, too. Make it more "3-D."

Then I'd bring a third "accent" color into the room, maybe turquoise/aqua, or pink/coral?

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Very pretty bedding. I think both could work with yellow, green, blue, aqua, purple, gray. I think if you keep the wall color lighter than the color in the bedding, the bedding will still pop.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    10 years ago

I like the yellow the best. I was thinking either coral, aqua, or turquoise walls based on the bedding in the link I attached. Depending on whether you did a muted or brighter tone, you could always try the BM pearl finish paint for a little extra pizzaz. Rope lights might work, as could cute lamps and other accessories based on which you choose.

I do like the wall medallion, but in a complimentary color. You could also make wall art with trendy fabrics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedding with colors

• teacats
    10 years ago

Do ONE wall in the chosen accent color:

1)Bold Yellow BM 336

OR

2)Exotic Purple BM 2071-10

Do the wall in stripes of the SAME color (yellow or purple) BUT paint the stripes in high-gloss and lo-sheen of that color.

And then do the other walls in silvery gray!

Add silver lamps (table and standing) and a silver-framed bulletin board (easy changes for "stuff")

Add a full-length silver mirror on the back of the door.

Add a silver ceiling fan.

THEN -- after the room is finished -- see if the décor needs even more colors .....

Add vibrant artworks -- and a accent chair.

• Cathy Lund
    8 years ago

I would like to find this

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

I like the idea of a muted yellow. It would be colorful but not as jarring as bright yellow in a bedroom. A muted turquoise or bright turquoise would work. I'm of an age where I don't want a bright color in my bedroom, but when I was younger that was not the case. My bedroom had bright pink huge zinnia wallpaper with purple carpet. My "accent colors" were orange, bright turquoise blue, and lime green. Let me tell you, it was GROOVY! So I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest perhaps WALLPAPER in a grey and yellow or yellow and some other color print that matches the bedding in some way. Maybe for one wall? Or all of them, but one wall might be a safer way to add some color but not be committed to having to take down four walls of wallpaper if you ever want to redo the room. Sorry, don't have time to search for an example look.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

I prefer the purple and white bedding and a complementary wall color could be sage green. The yellow and gray comforter featured further down is also very nice, but I don't care for the initial choice.

• PRO
    Building Center No.3
    8 years ago

Hi tesmith,

Those comforter sets are beautiful and look fresh, modern and cozy. As an interior designer I would suggest some color paint for each of options. I personally I preferred the first option because it has more neutral colors and the yellow accent is not too bright. Also, I think that the combination of these colors would be appealing to your 15 year old daughter as she is growing up and pink and purple is typically associated with younger kids. For this comforter I would choose a teal paint for 1 or 2 accent walls such as the Behr - Calipso Blue (HDC-CL-27), the Behr - Heirloom Rose (S130-5) or the Behr - Solitaire (N560-5). Those 3 color paints work very well with the grey and yellow of the comforter. The rest of the walls I would choose the Behr - Fadding Fog (PR-W7) or Behr - Pale Cashemere (PPU2-04) that are neutral colors and look good with most of the color palette.

If she prefers the grey and purple comforter, I would select a Behr - Voyage (PPU13-07) or Behr - Cameo Rose (ppu17-15). The second color paint option is very similar to the one in the picture you showed. To make this environment more colorful I would opt for a vibrant accent pillow (yellow, green orange) and adornments/accessories around the bedroom of the same color as the accent pillow you choose.

In addition, you may want to consider a neutral color carpet with some accent colors similar to the ones chosen for the accent pillows or comforter. As far as the vinyl decals, I think that is an effective way to make the bedroom more dynamic, and when she outgrows it in the future, they are easy to remove.

Bellow I attached some pictures of the Behr webpage (http://www.behr.com/) where you can play with the different color paints and have an idea of how it would look. I recommend having the pictures of the comforters next to you if you decided to do it. Also I attached some ideas of vinyl decals according to the comforters and desires of your 15 year old daughter for her " bright clean happy room with a little bit of color" bedroom.

Whichever direction you decided to go, please post pictures so we can see the final result. Good luck!

AS

Interior Designer

Comforter grey-yellow

Comforter grey-purple

Vinyl Decals

• User
    8 years ago

Personally, if it was my house, I'd do whatever wall the bed is on a charcoal gray. That silver and yellow would pop out beautifully. Then do the other three walls in a pale yellow or pale aqua/coral/something.

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

AS, that was very nice of you to take time out to post your professional opinions! There are so many fun options and varieties out there for decorating. That's what I would hope to get from a professional decorator, access to lots of ideas and resources, not someone trying to sell me a pre-fabricated set of answers to the same-old, same-old questions!

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

This is a 3-year old thread. OP's daughter is probably in college by now.