Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacyf121_gw

Living room HELP!

Stacyf121
11 years ago

I'm new here and I posted yesterday but I don't see my post so I will try again!

I need some help with my living room. I want to purchase new furniture soon but I need to know if I need a sectional or not.

My living room is long and narrow. 12w X 37L. I have a front door on a long wall as well as three windows. On the opposite long wall I have two "doorways" one leads to the kitchen the other to the hall.

Any suggestions would help greatly!

Comments (25)

• mclarke
    11 years ago

If you can post a floorplan, that would help us visualize your space ....

• Stacyf121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok. What is the best way to do the floor plan? Can you see why I need help LOL.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

How about a photograph or two?

• roarah
    11 years ago

Can you take a pic of the room and then download it to your computer then on the "post a follow up" link on the top is a "image file to upload" box push browse and find your pic, double click on the image and it will be attatched at the bottom of your post.

I have a long,well not as long as yours, and narrow, but a bit wider than yours, living room. I am, I think, 14feet wide so I do not know if this would work for you, but we floated all the seating away from walls because one wall has two windows and a fireplace and all the other walls have double doorways. We went with a non deep sofa, two chairs and an ottoman instead of a sectional to help the walk flow threw this room since it is between three well used areas. Also sectionals are good for family but a bit awkward when entertaining and this is not only my tv room but also our main living room for company too.

Here is my long narrow room without a sectional.

• Stacyf121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, here is the "drawing" I will post photos tonight.

• Stacyf121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the sectional I have found. We are going to look at it Thursday!

• Stacyf121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this is one angle

• Stacyf121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this is one angle

• Stacyf121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another

• Stacyf121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

long wall

• Stacyf121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wall with two entry ways.

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

I think that the sectional that you are looking at that you posted is very big and bulky.
    Also being dark I think it will look overpowering.
    Just my opinion.

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

I think that the sectional that you are looking at that you posted is very big and bulky.
    Also being dark I think it will look overpowering.
    Just my opinion.

• Stacyf121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok ty.. do you have any suggestions on what to put in there?

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Yes it's too bulky and dark, you need something cleaner and lighter like the one below. Look carefully at the lines of it and try to find something similar. Where in the room do you plan to put it? Sometimes two full sized sofas are a better idea in a long room.

Here is a link that might be useful: sectional

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Does it *have* to be a sectional? How about a sofa and two chairs instead? There was a post some time ago and most people who had one, posted that re:seating when people are vising, it wasn't the best as they would spread out too far. People want their own space~I usually head for a chair if one is available.

Be realistic as to how many people it will *really* hold, just my 2 cents. ;o)

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

I agree with yayagal. I've have 2 sofas in my family room as my husband and I both like to lie down while watching tv.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Right K9arlene and, if you have kids you put the trouble makers on one and the good kids on the other lol.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I agree with the others...something has happened to furniture sizes since the onset of the Mc mansion...furniture has grown by leaps and bounds, whereas, for many of us, the spaces have not. While that stuff is great for filling enormous great rooms or basement-sized media rooms, it isn't for those of us with smaller spaces. (I so miss bombay furniture as their stuff was small....nice and small.)

I ran into that when I replaced my library sofa....the one from 25 yrs ago was smaller and lower and it took a lot of effort to get the new one (even though we measured like crazy) to look proportional in the space.

If you're really wedded to the sectional look, try a sofa with a chaise on one side...we used that in our family room which is fairly small....Ottomans in front make it comfortable to put one's feet up for those not on the chaise.

• Locrian
    11 years ago

Have you heard of "mobile home scaled" furniture? It is scaled differently to fit long/narrow living rooms, especially. Depth of seat, arm width, etc. is slightly narrower and proportional to height/length.

No, don't think cheap trailer trash LOL There is an art to designing & building this furniture. Patterns & finishings are scaled too, so it looks "right".

Hotel furniture resellers also are a good place to start. A lot of hotel furniture is scaled differently, too, if is was used in rooms rather than lobbies. It's NOT built delicately...imagine a burly guy sitting on something flimsy in a hotel room.

Do you have zones/areas set up in the LR? I noticed a "television" area at one end and a lovely rocker at the door. Maybe you could rearrange existing furniture into "viewing" and "visiting" vignettes to get the creative juices flowing.

We lived in Navy quarters built in 1945 and had interesting furnishing experiences. The living room was 10x27 with a straight flight of stairs taking up 3.5-feet of that 10-foot width. Imagine: two adults, two kids, two dogs, two cats...now add in furniture O_o

• Locrian
    11 years ago

This is a company in Arizona with a selection of smaller scaled furniture. I did a quick look-up on the web and figured it might give you some ideas :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Furniture for Smaller Houses

• Stacyf121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, I will look into the furniture! at one time where the fireplace is was a loveseat.. tv. was where the glidder and ottoman is now and then a recliner at the opening next to the kitchen.. and where the tv is now was actually used briefly for my oldest daughters bedroom lol..

I could go back to the old way and place the fire place where the tv is now and two chairs and a small table where the recliner is now.

I was thinking of the sectional for the seating.. I have a mother that lives with me and a father in law that has a place next to us but is in and out most of the time.. as well as two daughters and a ton of nieces and nephews that visit pretty regular.. So I am trying to get the most seating that I can in the space??

We also want it to recline???

• Locrian
    11 years ago

Hi StacyFl, here are a few ideas and a link to a manufacturer who makes smaller scaled pieces.

Yes, I'm giving it to you in the "old fashioned" way:
    Graph paper, 10-squares to the inch is good.
    Mechanical pencil, 5mm lead which is like a #2 pencil.
    Glue.
    Scissors.

Draw floor plan.
    Divide floor plan lengthways into thirds.
    Allocate 2/3 floor plan to "reception & visiting" area
    from the front door.
    Allocate 1/3 floor plan to "television viewing" area (12-ft is plenty!)
    from the back wall/kitchen passage.

Measure & draw on floor plan the swing for the front door
    the entry closet
    the passageways
    the window sets.

Measure & draw the FP. It's a very inviting touch, by the way.
    Measure & draw the TV Entertainment center.

Cut the FP & TVEC templates out and place them on the floor plan.

Do the same thing with all of the existing furnishings.

For me, it's easier to work in "tactile" media. Moving bits of paper around is like playing jig-saw puzzles ;-) And, it helps unclutter the mind, especially when it's harder to unclutter the room.

Is the FP decorative or working (electric)? Have an idea percolating for placement...

Where does the passageway across from the front door lead? Another idea is on the back burner bubbling.

Let me see if I can find a link to something for DDs & NNN. When the League of Little Nations was at our quarters I had to be creative for seating. (That's what I called the kids' friends.)

You can have a multi-gen party playing with the floor plan & furnishings, too. I had a lot of fun when it was GrandMother, Mother, Daughter, & me brainstorming on several occasions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big selection. Small scale.

• Locrian
    11 years ago

Hi StacyFl. I found something similar to what I'd used. The kids would "help themselves" to the seating when they arrived. It was fun, as they would bunch, sprawl, squish, and lounge all around. They learned very quickly to put everything away before leaving!

We kept the seating behind a shoji screen. When there was a house full, the shoji screen got folded and leaned against a wall...as out of the way as possible. It also made a nice "privacy" screen, especially when the girls wanted a special girly only time. The boys thought it made a great fort wall, too. Loved their imaginations!

We also had a Parson's bench with flip-up lid. Games, records, cassettes, etc. were stored inside. I cut & notched "gator board" to fit, making different sized cubbies. Found a cushion to fit the top. Seating & storage all in one WooHoo :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Optional seating for DDs & NNNs

• Stacyf121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The fireplace is propane. But it is moveable.