Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren0319

Dining room- more transitional, less traditional??

lauren0319
10 years ago

I'm dying to do a mini-makeover on my dining room. Nothing too extensive as there is a good possibility that we will knock down the wall between the dining room and kitchen (to the right) when we eventually remodel. But that's a good 3-5 years away.
Our dining room is the first thing you see when you enter our home. Because of the steps up (not totally sure what the builder was thinking...) it's nearly on a pedestal.

Things that need to stay- furniture. I know it's super traditional. It was my parents' first dining room set, bought 35 years ago when Thomasville was top of the line. We don't want to replace so I need to work with it.
The painting- was a gift from a close friend and has personal significance.

Things to replace- rug. I want to brighten this room and get a more transitional rug, maybe in creams.
We could easily repaint. The current shade of the room is one shade darker than the rest of the house. I don't remember the paint name exactly, but it's super common, SW "wheat" or something.
I plan on recovering the chairs.
I've thought about putting a tablecloth on the table and an interesting centerpiece...
Windows- I can't do drapes as we have a sweet 100 lb shedding dog who loves to lay under the window and drapes would quickly be covered in fur. ew. Not sure what my options are.

What would YOU do to this room?

Thank you SO much! I appreciate your thoughts.

Comments (73)

• amykath
    10 years ago

Speaking of wallpaper, I am a huge fan of grasscloth wallpaper and it would add depth and texture to your beautiful room. You could do a lower innexpensive wainscotting look with the wallpaper on the top half.

Not to say this is the exact color you would want but its an idea....

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Redondo Beach General Contractors LuAnn Development, Inc.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I adore the chandeliers beekeeperswife posted. Swoooon! However, I'm unsure how to do a chandy w our existing lighting.
    Here's a pic showing the 6 recessed lights.

and a 2nd pic showing the table with the lights, NOT centered over the table. How would we work around this?

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I think it would be worth having an electrician run wires to the center. You can look at taking out hte two cans and repairing the drywall -- especially if you are going to repaint the ceiling anyway.

This is the fixture I have

It comes in a rectangle too.

I enjoy the sparkle in an unexpected form

While I was looking, I saw an oval drum shade with crystal candles in the center. Similar candles to this but with a sheer drum shade.

Yes, I like crystal and glass......

This post was edited by lascatx on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 23:57

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Call me crazy, but if it's in the budget, I would consider drywalling over the can lights and using only a chandelier.

Amy, that wallpaper is lovely.Very sophisticated and makes a statement without being overpowering.

• christina87
    10 years ago

I think your paint color helps keep the space fresh and not stuffy/too formal. The dining room looks classical.
    You can find this furniture for Discount Sale Now at http://homebestfurniture.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Discount Sale Furniture

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

Adding a place for the chandy is a DIY--not a big deal with the cans so close. You cannot just "drywall over" them, however. They need to be totally removed--fire code. That is $$$$ to redo the entire ceiling.With the time line laid out initially I would say this would wait for when the wall comes down. They come under the "what were they thinking?", category for me. They are not cheap and there seems to be a lot of them awfully close together. I cannot imagine a formal dining room with out the main event--the chandelier!! I would have to remove the horizontal blinds IMMEDIATELY. They scream dust collectors, to me!!

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Arcy, I didn't mean to literally just drywall over them. :)

I think if you find the right person, it does not have to be so $.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I'd remove the center two, keep the outer ones, and have separate dimmers for both. But, I'm not paying for it :)

I don't think you'll use the can lights that often but sometimes it nice to have a brightly lit room, if only for cleaning.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I would probably hold off on wiring changes until you are ready to take down the wall. Dry walling is a lot of dust, etc so I would want it done all at once.

In the mean time if you want a chandelier, how about one that uses real candles? No need to wire then. (I know nothing about the shop I am linking--it just popped up on google.)

Similarly, I wouldn't invest the time or money in wallpaper in a room that is to be remodeled in the next three to five years. I would choose a rug and then a paint color for the walls.

I most likely would not paint the furniture either since it is family stuff. I love the idea of slip covering the chairs. I would try that. And then a fresh centerpiece could really change up the look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Real candle chandeliers

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys rock my world! :) crl_- you have made some excellent points, esp since we are planning on a major remodel down the road. I think I *really* want a working chandy. However, my husband is totally opposed to redoing the entire ceiling... which I get. So the candle chandy is an option.
    Also- I may have another workaround... please tell me your honest opinion if this would look ok or not. What about hanging the chandy from the "center" recessed light... then swagging (is that the right word) the chain over with a hook so the chandy is centered over the table. Would that look okay for a few years?

Finally- where in the world do I begin? First with a rug? Or new fabric for the chairs? Or pick a chandelier and go from there?

• crl_
    10 years ago

I have swagged a chandelier before and thought it looked just fine. In my case I had moved the dining room table off center to improve the traffic pattern and so we swagged the chandelier from the center of the room to over the center of the table. In your case though it would leave an oddball recessed light. That would bug me. Your mileage may vary.

I would choose a rug first. Easier to coordinate paint to a rug than the other way around. And I would probably slip cover the chairs in a light solid (white, cream, etc) so again, easier to match the fabric to the rug than the other way around.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Yes, you could swag. It will add more visual clutter. You can do a mock-up, like Beekeeperswife does, and make a paper chain for a ballon(s) that resembles the size of the fixture you want and see if it bugs you. Use the can closest to the back doors.

Are you sure you want to knock down that wall? If you do, the view when you enter the house will be two eating areas, the dining table and the breakfast table, unless you put kitchen cabinetry where the breakfast table is now. That means new windows and new siding on that wall, which increases costs a good bit.

An expansive view is nice, but think about what you will be looking at before you do it. Do you want to see cabinets or another table? Or, will it be a wall of windows looking into your pretty yard?

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I have been typing in circles and having a hard time getting to just what it is I am trying to say. Bottom line, think twice about opening that wall. The more I think about it and look at your photos, the more I would not do it for three main reasons,

First, if the dining room is the first thing you see when you walk in the house, that means you would be looking through to the kitchen, Some folks are fine with that, but I prefer not to be seeing the kitchen (even the FR) or worrying about whether it is messy and that is the first thing seen when my guests arrive.

Second, you have a very casual breakfast area just beyond and apparently the family room beyond that. Right now, you have a formal dining room on a pedestal that probably needs a little more oomph to be the dramatic focal point it deserves to be. If you open that up to your casual areas, you will loose that drama. Everything will be on a more similar plane and need to flow together. The causal spaces probably need to be less casual and the dramatic formal DR less formal and dramatic.

Third, I think it would make the architecture of the house awkward. You would walk into a sunken living room with everything else above with no definition or break. I think the LR would feel like an afterthought and unimportant and the DR would no longer be on a pedestal, but just part of everything else.

I think you are on the right track with updating the LR and trying to marry the furniture and the architecture into a transitional space. You've been getting a lot of comments about the pedestal, the drama, the entry focal point, the WOW factor. I would keep that, and I would hope that when you make the DR feel more special, you will want to keep it too.

I would do the chandelier when you find one that speaks to you, change the paint color and play with the things you have, then see what else you need. And don't take this the wrong way, but those plans for 3-5 years may be more like 8-10 years or turn into another house before you do anything. I've done both. It could be a long time of wanting that DR to be more special -- and I do think that if you make it more special, it may shape your thinking about how you want to reno.

• User
    10 years ago

Upon first seeing the pic, my gut reaction was it needs crown molding and amped up base molding.

• peegee
    10 years ago

I'm a bit amused when so many people always seem to rush to remove functional furniture, or paint it to disguise it, etc., because it's "matchy", since that perspective itself is just another trend. When this starts getting old and tired, the latest will likely be something like "Cohesion is the IN thing; Too many disparate elements look Cluttery", "Symmetry is Soothing"...and then people will find there will be few unaltered sets left, and due to decreased supply, it will be really expensive to change the look....!! : )
    I really like the idea of updating through paint, rug, additional art/mirror, and re-slipcovering the seats. I'll bet that update alone will make you quite pleased! Penny G.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

My comments about painting were not so much to the point of being matchy -- that can be helped by using a single piece in another room, but to the busy patterns in the wood plus the engraved details. That's a style that is not more updated and the OP asked about how to make the room more updated or transitional.

Normally I would not consider painting good quality wood in good condition, but that particular set is one I would never be really happy with -- especially having so much of it. Because I have seen some incredible makeovers with painted furniture here, and because this was a family item where the goal is to make it something that grows with a younger part of the family, I would consider painting. The fact that the value is sentimental and not future resale, I think that's a reasonable alternative and a reasonable way to counter some of the excess. If your goal is to have something that is worth more in coming decades, then how it looks now or how comfortable you are with it is less important and updating the look would not seem to be the goal. That's not where we started though.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts. Before I do anything too drastic, I think I'd like to see a new rug, a chandelier, and recover the chairs. I am not a fan of slipcovers. Paint would be fine too.
    I also like the PP's idea of moving the painting to the wall that faces the windows and put a neat mirror in its place.
    I agree that the sconces need to be moved and replaced with something that coordinates with the new chandy :)

My main goal is to brighten and update this room.
    Do I begin with a rug search? There are quite a few on Overstock that are appealing to me.
    Any fav chandelier sites? I'm drawn to rectangular chandeliers. Do you think that would work or should I lean towards something oval since the room (and really, my entire house) has so many angles? I really do love the capiz chandy posted above.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Lauren,

I definitely think a new rug that you love would be a great starting point.

As far as chandelier sites go.... lightinguniverse.com and lampsplus.com have a great selection. Sometimes, just going to Lowes or Home Depot can give you some great choices at a very reasonable price.

Which rugs are you considering from Overstock?

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I've gotten some great deals from Bellacor's open box clearance. You have to keep checking availability, though.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I think a rug is probably a good place to start. It can really set the tone for everything else and if you start with other things, you really limit the selection on rugs.

Lightinguniverse and lampsplus are sites I look at for lighting ideas. Also various manufacturers once you get an idea of what you like. West Elm has this rectangular capiz one in white or grey. I like the idea of a rectangle or long oval in that room.

ETA: To be honest, I've never slipcovered a dining chair or even considered doing mine, but I have seen some that look good. It's an option if the chair backs get in the way of the look you want. I like your chairs. If your china cabinet and server had ether the engraved pieces or the inlaid doors, they would transition easier. Even so, I think I said from the start that I'd paint the walls, hang a chandelier first, look at whether you needed to change the rug and then consider other options. Once everything isn't reading layers of brown, the inlay may take on a softer look.

Do the things you know you want to change and see how they impact the rest of the room. Take it from there.

Here is a link that might be useful: West Elm fixture

This post was edited by lascatx on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 16:51

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I'm not a fan of the beige damask pattern because it looks like it's cut off the roll, no reason for where the pattern ends.

The colors in the second one are really pretty and the pattern ends in a way that makes sense.

If you like tone on tone, the Contemporary Retro Chic further down the page, is really pretty. I have a thing for interlocking circles, though!

Here is a link that might be useful: Different Beige rug

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I'm not a fan of the damask if you want an updated, less traditional feel. The Nourison goes more in the updated direction, but you've already expressed some concern about a rectangular fixture with all the angles. What about adding some softer shapes and an organic element?
    {{!gwi}}

• lascatx
    10 years ago

LOL We seem to be working in similar directions.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I really like the second selection you posted. I agree about the damask looking like it was cut off of a roll.

• mjlb
    10 years ago

I don't have much useful to add -- just chiming in agreement with several posters:

I agree with the chijim's comment about beefing up the trim; and also with the people who thought opening up the wall to the kitchen would be a bad idea; and with the many people who think the room is lovely (although you can always make it MORE lovely!)

• amykath
    10 years ago

Is his at all he kind of chandy you would like or is it seem too traditional?

• amykath
    10 years ago

We had 8 ft ceilings in another home in which I lived. This was the dining area with the chandelier

Wow that is a terrible pic quality. Hope you can still see the details

• peegee
    10 years ago

Lascatz -sorry - I wasn't directly referring to you; I really like a lot of your ideas! In general, it's just something that I notice a lot here, even when OP's may be expecting comments about paint and accessories, there will often be lots of suggestions about ditching/altering furniture, especially sets. I felt it important to point out given that Lauren had noted: "Things that need to stay- furniture... It was my parents' first dining room set... We don't want to replace so I need to work with it." What I should do is paste my comment into a new thread, because basically I was prompted by this posting to make a more general point. BTW love the organic effect of the rug you suggested! And oooh, love Aktillery's chandy suggestion with the large shade! (edited for clarity)

This post was edited by peegee on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 21:43

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aktillery- that chandy is beautiful!!! But I feel like that West Elm fixture is bada$$.. ykwim?
    :)

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Lascatx, you and I?
    I've noticed a certain similarity :)

OK Lauren, if the capiz shell chandeliers are speaking to you then put that on your "board". I've always liked them, too.

Now for the rug and wall color! You stated that you want it to be bright and light. Have you seen any inspiration photos with the feeling or look you'd like to see?

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I can't add anything except to say your DR is gorgeous with the stairs, and I definitely wouldn't knock the wall down. No amount of decorating will give the room the same charm with it being open to the kitchen.

Crown molding would look nice!

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I just realized the first chandy beekeeper posted was the same one from West Elm. I didn't look back and had it in mind as more square. Well look at her post if you want to see the larger picture. I like the chandy aktillery posted too, but unless it is larger than it appears, I would feel it was too dainty -- and a little too expected for that room. A dining room on a pedestal is different, so I would embrace different and less expected.

Crown would dress up the room, but make sure you can figure out how and where to end it. That could be a challenge.

The comments about displaying books and such in the china cabinet reminded me of last summer when I was looking at a china cabinet or parts of a wall unit (curved ends with beautiful wavy glass, but it turned out they had the center piece) to use in my bathroom instead of cabinets on one wall. I pictured towels and bath goodies on display and at easy reach. I think it is brownysmom who has one used for books and such in a living room. If you want to consider using one of the pieces in a different room, your options are probably as great as your imagination. To be fair, I wasn't looking to repurpose mine -- I was thinking of getting an additional one. If I could only throw out ideas I've actually used, this would get rather boring. LOL

peegee -- I understand.

• lizzie_grow
    10 years ago

We actually have that West Elm Capiz rectangular chandelier & absolutely love it! Would it be possible to remove the glass doors on the china cabinet and furnish it with other things rather than china? Maybe a collection of vases, books, a few family photos in black & white in cohesive frames...just have fun messing around with it & see what you come up with. I was thinking it would look less formal that way. Or stack dishes, colorful serving platters or dishes, put some silverware upright in a cool container...things you would use in there, and have easily accessible. Let us all see what you come up with...ok?

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lizzie grow- tell me more about the chandy. I think it is just stunning!! Do you think it would be possible to swag it from one of our recessed lights?

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Lauren, you will pay more in the long run unless you and DH can DIY on taking out a can and swagging the chandy, but if you wanted to do that for the short term, an electrician can come in later and shorten the wiring and center it properly. I wouldn't swag so much as run the wire taught across the short span of ceiling and paint it to match the ceiling. Run it from the back one so it is behind the chandy when seen from the entry. It will look less than perfect,and I think you will want to then do it right, but if you can't convince DH it is worth it in the first place, you may have to do a two step. Just be nice about the toldyaso.

I think that once you find a rug, hang the chandy and pick a wall color, you will start to see how much more you want to do. And by the way, I forgot to say this earlier, but I like the mirror idea too. That's the fun thing about posting early in a project -- you get lots of ideas to pick and chose from. Some may make your toes curl, but there will be lots of ideas. ;-)

This post was edited by lascatx on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 11:23

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but there can be more to hanging a chandy than just swagging it over or running a wire. Rarely is there a ceiling joist centered over the area where you want to hang the chandy, and since most chandeliers are heavy more wood bracing will need to be added in order to support the weight of the chandy.
    Closing up an existing fixture usually requires a junction box in the attic space.

If the recessed lights are beyond the edges of the table, I'd leave them for now and have an electrician run wiring and hang the chandy correctly. As long as the cans are not turned on you'll rarely notice them. You can also paint the trim on the cans the same color as the ceiling to make them blend in more.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Add me to the list of people asking you not to take down the wall. So many good reasons not to, and can't think of one positive reason to remove it.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Here is a transitional chandelier that is a bit different. I used the large 2-tier version in my vaulted dining room and I get lots of positive comments about it. The 5 or 6 light version would work in your space.

I would pay an electrician to come in and install a centered electrical box for the chandelier. Well worth the cost to do it right. Leave the recessed lights as they are.

Here is a link that might be useful: Feiss chandelier

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am really really in love w/ the capiz chandy. I just think it's awesome! ASSuming I can talk my husband into installing it, I'm about ready to pull the trigger. (he's quite handy so hopefully it won't be too hard of a task.)
    However, I'm worried about cleaning it. Are the capiz shells dust magnets? The chandy would be hanging right by our exterior door to the patio... and I have that sweet 100+ lb. shedding dog :(
    I also am eyeing this chandy, again from West Elm? wdyt?
    I really want something fabulous- something that really makes a statement. Maybe something mirrored and/or with crystals? But nothing too formal... and pref. under $500.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panorama Chandelier

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Lauren, your DR is raised, or on a platform. I had one in a home years ago, and loved this type of separation between the LR! The only reason you don't see them in today's housing market is probably because of the cost factor. Builders are leaving out more unique items, and options are very expensive.

I think your DR could be very dramatic with it's wide opening and double French doors! With that in mind, a rug with a black background would be phenonimal. Artillery's chandelier suggestion, but with a black shade(it's available in black)would also add more of the black. I would also recover the chairs with a fabric that has at least a little black, and add drapery panels or at least a valance to the windows. You already have the black candle sconces, so that's a start. ;o)

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Love your second choice, too! It's more minimalist and not as attention grabbing.

Honestly, the only parts of my chandelier that need regular cleaning are the things on the horizontal plane, like the bobeches and the metal areas. My dining room is where MY sweet 100 lb dog frequently naps and I don't have to clean it anymore than any other area of the house. I have a 75 lb German Shepherd, as well.

If you love it, get it!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Yes to the Panorama chandelier! Looks like it might be less of a dust catcher than the other one. Is there a way that you can see the two chandeliers in real life?

• Fluffeebiskits1
    10 years ago

I love the furniture!!! Its so my style. Can the hutch be removed from the buffet? You could remove it and accessorize with more transitional pieces, set the table with nice light china with clean lines, add one of those fancy chandeliers and paint a more contemporary color ( though i do like the color). A few accessories and a transitional rug would make a huge difference. i also agree with reupholstering the chairs, but i would stick to a more modern pattern in muted tones so it doesnt clash. i kind of like the idea of the juxtaposition of the styles.

Is there a Jo Ann Fabrics near you. They have great upholstery samples for you to check out.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Went back to look at pics and caught a glimpse of a black rug behind the one you chose~did you notice it? I think I like it better, sorry. I don't care for the background color, maybe if it were a warmer tan color. The 'putty' background color almost takes on a greenish tint, is it?

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I think black would be great in there, but a black rug and a big shedding dog means vacuuming that rug constantly. She also said she wants to lighten and brighten. I like moody colors for dining rooms, but I don't think that's Lauren's goal.

Lauren, is your pup black?

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol- who would have thought I'd be decorating around my dog!?! :) And no, he's a yellow/white lab or lab mix. So black would not be good. The cherry floors are tough enough with his fur! :)

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I like moody colors for dining rooms too, but I think this one can have that on the walls and go with the lighter chandelier ( I am faviring the capiz and you have said several times you love it). The capiz is not clear like crystal and you only need to do crystal once or twice a year -- and some folks say they do quick cleanings of those with a blast of compressed air (in a can, sold with office/computer supplies). I replaces a brass and porcelain chandelier that I thought needed rewiring (discovered some loose fittings when we went to take it down -- opps!) with a crystal chandelier. I get lab fur everywhere on the floors, but have never noticed a single hair at light fixture level -- even on the crystal. I think as long as the dog doesn't dance onthe table, you will be fine.

If you love something, come back to it a couple of times adn it is still singing your song, I think that is the one you should go with. That's how it works for me. Have you done a mock up -- paste the photo of the chandeliers into the photo of your dining room. I had to do that with my kitchen island fixture so DH could "see" it, and there is a help me pick a chandelier thread going now -- I think it really helps sometimes.

• lizzie_grow
    10 years ago

Lauren,

I'm not sure if you could swag that West Elm Capize fixture. I don't feel like ours is a dust magnet...if it has dust on it, I'm not seeing it. Hope that helps.