Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diydevon

type of paint for formal Dining room?

diydevon
15 years ago

what type of paint would you suggest for a formal dining room? I was thinking eggshell but am not sure. I have small children so i need it to be durable and easily cleaned. :) thank you!

Comments (10)

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

We used SW Durations Matte. Same paint in LR, Foyer and stairway. No children here but lots of visitors. So far no problems.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Do your kids have food fights? LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist! I can't think of a reason to have eggshell in the dining room unless your kids really spill down the side of the wall alot.

I like flat paint everywhere I can get away with it. The only rooms in our house with eggshell are the bathrooms. We even did the kitchen in flat because we have the backsplash to protect it.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

We have BM Regal Matte (throughout the house) and it's pretty amazing at being wiped / scrubbed. Of course, the deeper the color the harder the scrubbing is on the paint finish.

Oh, you know what else is terrific for washability? That Aura paint! Again, I have it in matte.

• sallen2008
    15 years ago

I have not heard anyone mention Behr Paint from HD. They advertise #1 ratings. What do you think?

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

Just keep in mind if you're painting a dark color~a flat paint will 'burnish'. A burnish is like a scuff and sometimes seem to come out of no where. Just a gentle rub can make one appear. Like I said, deeper colors are where you need to watch out.

Personally I would recommend a satin or eggshell finish. Sherwin Williams is my favorite brand.

• wearybuilder
    15 years ago

We have dark colors in eggshell finish in our Dining Room. We had flat paint at one point, and it seemed if you even breathed too hard it would burnish. I won't have it again....jmho. :)

• randita
    15 years ago

The SW Low Luster Cashmere is luscious. Have it in the bedroom in a medium blue/gray shade and I love the way it reflects light. It's VERY smooth feeling and almost as durable as the SW Duration. I'd think the Cashmere would look really rich in a dining room, esp. when candlelit.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Wow flat paint in a formal room? yuck :oP I prefer some sheen. I have semigloss with a gold glaze on it. The room is made for candle light :) And it washes up like a charm (I have a 2 year old who does occasionally throw his wine glass).

I'd at least get a light sheen. Flat paint is really informal. But then I don't use flat/matte anywhere :) So that could just be me. I like to make my plaster guys work hard enough that I could paint it in varnish and the walls would be perfect (the higher the gloss the higher chance that flaws show).

On the Behr paints..I am an equal opportunity paint buyer. I like their highest solid brand (don't know the specific name) and am using it in our house in a couple of rooms. It's a good quality paint.

Is it the same as the twice as much expenisve SW paint? No, there's a significant difference in the quality, which I can see and feel while painting. When it's all finished? You can't tell the difference :o) But as it goes on...the SW paint is quite a bit better.

• cantmakeadecision
    15 years ago

Not all eggshells are created equal! Always get a sample quart and try it on your wall - in the finish you are thinking about. Some eggshells are shiny-er than others. I would personally do flat.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    15 years ago

I have not heard anyone mention Behr Paint from HD. They advertise #1 ratings. What do you think?

Most professional painters will not use it,that should tell you something.