Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teapot100_gw

Privacy nook/corner in tween room

teapot100
9 years ago

Another tween bedroom redo question!

Anyone have any ideas for a privacy nook/corner in a small bedroom that doesn't involve a tent or teepee? Room is about 12x14.

Not just a reading nook with beanbag chair or cushions, but a small space that can be closed off somehow to shield prying eyes from someone who loves to play with her toys (at 10 years old) in private.

Comments (15)

• rhomy
    9 years ago

How about a bookcase or chest of drawers set a distance from the corner. Either could be used to store playthings and give her a feeling of privacy.

• lemonlime
    9 years ago

Teapot, here's an idea that seems like it would be pretty easy to make. If you're near an Ikea, the rolling clothes racks are cheap, and I'm sure you could find them at Target, etc too. It looks like you could use a shower curtain, sheet, curtain panels, you name it, and some iron-on fusing tape if you don't sew. I clipped this for an inspiration pic when my niece gets a bit older.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You can hang a curtain from the ceiling...

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

A folding screen?
    The bookcase as room divider?

Put a bookcase where it blocks the view of the room from the door and she'll feel more private.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

Is her room big enough so that you could "float" her bed and have the space behind the headboard for her private space? In the play room I put up a rod (brackets in the ceiling) and hung a shower curtain on it. Grands used it for privacy or a stage curtain to put on plays and the curtain could be pulled back to open up the play area.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I would invest in a privacy screen, or make one, with wood framing and pretty fabric covered inserts. Or buy something like this. They also come in handy when the child gets older, to dress behind, or use in a dorm room for additional privacy.

Here is a link that might be useful: privacy screen

• violetwest
    9 years ago

Ikea kvartal curtains on tracks?

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

When I was ten, I angled my bed in a corner and climbled over the headboard to played with my Barbies or read books behind there for hours on end.

• camlan
    9 years ago

Put a bookcase perpendicular to a wall, near a corner. Then you can run a curtain rod from the wall to the bookcase and create a hiding space. You can have the shelves facing out into the room, or into the hiding space. If the latter, then you could cover the back of the bookcase with fabric or a roll of thin cork and make a cork board.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

A hanging papasan chair and a curtain, or a privacy screen. All easily removed when the tween can get a lock on her door ;)

• teapot100
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions!

We ended up bringing in a couple of 3x3 cube organizers that we've used over the years in our girls' rooms, stacked them and attached a curtain rod across from the wall to the back of the top stack. I added a couple of diy curtain panels, cushions, and a carpet remnant and voila! Perfect little hideaway. She also has more storage/organization now too.

We've never been able to get these cube organizers to work for our girls, but maybe now that everyone is a little older, it just might work for my youngest!

• rhomy
    9 years ago

well done.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Nice!

• teapot100
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@lemonlime - I love that room you posted showing the room divider! Now that the big reveal has happened, we can work on putting some soul into the room. :)

• bpath
    9 years ago

Very nice! And while it is very private, the cubes provide little "windows" so it isn't isolated. Your daughter can easily see out, but it's harder to see in! If you turn one of the cube-cases around, she'll have open-to-her,closed-to-the-world storage on the inside.

We all love our little nooks!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia