Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scpalmetto

Question about painters

scpalmetto
9 years ago

I live in an area where most houses have a good bit of outdoor space. When we have painters here they always want to clean their buckets and brushes outside in a brushy area. Yesterday I noticed a neighbor's painter pouring out a paint bucket into a swale that goes directly to a waterway. I was furious. I always insist any painters we use clean their stuff in my laundry sink room and they hate it. They always say it will clog up the sink and they don't want to be responsible.

What do painters do in the rest of the world, especially where there isn't as much outdoor space to dump paint water and/or toxic paint thinner?

Comments (6)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Paint thinner should be absorbed by paper towels, tied up in plastic bags, and taken to the dump on toxic waste days.

Water-based latex paint can be cleaned in sinks; I've heard it's both okay and not okay if the house is on a septic system.

Oil based paints have to be cleaned up with toxic materials and should never ,ever go into a sink or any other water system; cleaned with rags and, again, disposed of at dumps on hazardous waste days.
    No one should be dumping anything toxic anywhere other than the dump on hazardous waste days.

People do the wrong thing all the time, then they get pissed when the government steps in with regulations, say, to keep people from getting poisoned by the bad actions of others.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 9:06

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I don't want to risk clogging up my sink and I'm on septic, so I rinse my water-based paints out on the lawn with lots of water...the lawn likes the water and any color dissipates quickly. I then bring it into the house for the final washing with soap and water, once most of the paint is gone.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

What Annie said.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

funny... we have had septic too last few yrs and it seems that painters have always wanted to wash their brushes in our sink--- a couple of times i have had to direct outside!! i had read that latex paint should never be washed into a septic system and i called the septic co to confirm and they said never! ... will clog holes to leach field. (strawberry seeds apparantly can also wreak havoc for those who have garbage disposals...)

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I also wash outside where the lawn can absorb it. Done properly, there isn't that much water to run off. I can't imagine any brush or roller I've ever washed using more than 10 gallons of water.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If you haven't used it, get a 5 in one tool for painting. In addition to things like a paint can opener and a scraper and a point all built into one, it has a u shaped carve out which is actually a roller scraper. It is amazing how much paint you can save out of a roller before cleaning it...you keep the paint and you get a roller that's a lot easier to clean.

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County