Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottonpenny_gw

new thread - vote on dining rm chandelier

cottonpenny
11 years ago

Sorry to be so long winded! I'm obviously all over the place here.

Out of these three choices. Walls are chelsea gray with simply white wainscotting and natural cherry floors. Upholstery on furniture will likely change. Room is 15'x15' My foyer light is (likely!) this one:

Choice #1: Pottery Barn Parson light, 32"wx27"h. I like how this picks up the dentil touches on the furniture but isn't too traditional. I like how the finish matches the foyer light.

Choice #2: Ballard Alessandra light. 24"wx34"h. This is the right shape chandelier for the French inspired furniture according to Palimpset, but with a modern touch.

Choice #3: Artcraft pendant. I like how this picks up the geometric shapes of the furniture. It may be a little small at 24" square? Not sure that a square light is a great idea with an oval table either.

Comments (94)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I realize I was being snarky.

But it's not a matter of being right or wrong just for the sake of being right.

Whatever kind of fixture goes in the room is going to be based upon a matter of opinion, since the OP doesn't want a French inspired fixture, and opinions are not right or wrong. So the fixture can be chosen that reflects a shape of the furniture or fits the house or rejects any convention.

But even if you are breaking or ignoring the rules. such as they are, you should know what you are breaking. And there are only two real "givens" in this situation, the Furniture and the House and its other fixtures. Since the furniture is one of the few givens, it's better to identify it.

Sometimes I think that when someone is going for "eclectic", that they think it means that each object can be chosen independently just because you like it. But it's not going to exist in a vacuum, so it can't really be chosen completely independent of the "facts" or givens, anyway.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

OK, ignore this if you prefer, but these are a couple of budget busters. I am posting because I know you could probably find something with similar style if there is a look you like.

French Country Inn from Circa -- takes the French more rustic instead of more formal

Circa Piedmont -- something in between the others

Circa Ralph Lauren Broomfield -- contemporary but I like the added metal. It is less stark and has a better feel for me in that room.

I do like the lines of the one Pal suggested that is #2 in the OP, but am not sure what the details of it are. It seems too fussy in that picture, whatever it is, but that may be just the photo. The Circa Paris Flea Market is still a bit fussy, but I know you can find lots of things with that general shape. The shape can be expected but still have a different take and be fresh.

BTW, I LOVE the PB fixture, but not for your DR. I see where you are headed with the other two, but they aren't clicking for me either. If you don't find something that you are sure is perfect, I'd go pick a $50-$100 fixture from HD or Lowe's or a recycled fixture at ReStore or something and wait until you find "The One."

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do like the French Country inn, but you're right, above my budget. Even the smaller size is $1470. And I kind of wish it wasn't "antique rust" colored.

I never denied the French inspirations of my grammie's pieces, but she bought them (new) in 1969, which is a little late for MCM, right?

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I realize you saw their french influence. Up to about 1970 is considered Midcentury Modern but since these names are given after the fact and modern periods don't have strict beginnings and ends--they blend together and styles emerge as others fade, it's within the time frame.

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your help, palimpset. Still not sure which direction I'll go.

BTW, I think we have similar, if not VERY similar day jobs.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    11 years ago

do you like something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: chandelier

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Then let's look for something similar in a better price range (or find you something really cheap or free to use while you save up for the splurge ;-) ).

This Murray Feiss is more like the Piedmont, but try to imagine it with fewer or no crystals.

This Kichler is only $152

This Kichler makes a nod to the more modern look, but I'm throwing it in too.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

and another one

This one was showing when I previewed the page above - not sure why it isn't now. This was the first of those three

• User
    11 years ago

Thomasville has a line called "Palais" that is a well priced belle epoch style. I have linked to a webpage but there are many more pictures at places like universal lighting. I think the six light would be about right for your room, bit the 9light is a Statement if your ceilings are high enough. A restaurant near us has 10 of the nine-light Palais chandeliers and they are very nice looking. It looks MUCH better without the shades, which are a travesty on this style, IMO!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thomasville Palais chandelier

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Cottonpenny, so you look in people's mouths all day? Tell us more! There's a trend here...dental professionals also make skilled decorators. Who knew?

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I'm just throwing this out there...it's traditional but with a twist.

• User
    11 years ago

This is the 9-light Thomasville Palais chandelier. There are places on the internet where it is available for around $850.

{{!gwi}}

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I know this may not go over well because it's bronze but I like that the shades are a bit contemporary looking while the light has a bit of vintage and french flare.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

The one bee posted is one of my favorites. I am thinking of getting the mini version for my bathroom. I haven't seen it in person yet. The mini is about $800, so it may be a budget buster too.

The Murray Feiss one is not showing up for me again. The photo shows up in previews, but not when I post and come back. Never had that happen before. Anyway, I saw those last night at Lighting Universe. The have a sort selection for Paris Fleas Market, so I chose that and the Murray Feiss was on the first page when I was looking. It was around $500.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I like that one jterrilynn, where did you find it?

• blubird
    11 years ago

My daughter just put up this light - it's polished chrome, classic but modern and sophisticated, I think . Although you preferred darker metal, I've always broken the rules. My kitchen fixture is ORB; my dining room is a 30+ year old bright brass Fredrick Raymond.

Helene

Here is a link that might be useful: Quoizel sutton place 6 light chandelier

• lascatx
    11 years ago

The drum shade in that same Quoizel collection could be a possibility in the more modern direction. The chrome is covered by glass balls, where it is less distracting, and the drum shade. I'm not all matchy either. I have an antique brass rimmed glass barrel in my foyer (with mocha walls) and an aged silver frame on my dining room chandelier (lots of crystal against blue walls). Reversing them or trying to match would make one looks awkward. Not always best to match, especially if there is a reason not to.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Hi Marti8a, here you go ...

Here is a link that might be useful: nice light

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I like the style and finish of jterrilynn's pic. I'm really not seeing shiny chrome with that furniture.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

I don't want to be a party pooper, but the one jterrilynn posted from 1st Dibs is $1800.

I like the one that kswl posted. It's $894.78 on most sites. The one I linked below has free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Littman Bros.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Hey I said I like the light...not that I could afford it lol. It's really meant as an inspiration. About six months ago I saw lots chandeliers close to that in the resale for rehab store for $35 to $75. I bought my son a cheap version of a Hollywood Regency chandelier for there $20 but the nice ones were a bit more.

• amykath
    11 years ago

Gosh this is tough.... I tend to like the light that lascats posted. I think you need to go golden or ORB. Not sure the chrome or polished nickel will be as complimentary to your style and furniture.

• segbrown
    11 years ago

I feel your pain. Lighting is the hardest, especially dining room, because I don't like fussy either. Do any of these appeal?

• User
    11 years ago

I like the third one inthe series above. It has the classic updated belle epoch shape but in a minimalist interpretation.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Segbrown where did you find the last one (5th) I love that.
    Who knew brass could look so sexy.

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

When in doubt, I usually go vintage:

Here is a link that might be useful: Regency French Swan chandelier on eBay, $420

• segbrown
    11 years ago

All those are from circa lighting. I coveted that last one when we did our house a few years back, but the proportions weren't right. It's Eric Cohler for Visual Comfort, right at about $1000.

I love the third one, too; that's the one that blows the budget, though. But maybe for inspiration....

• musicteacher
    11 years ago

I love this site, and get a lot of ideas. But do real people actually pay @1000 or more for a light fixture? If I could drive it to work maybe....

• kimiko232
    11 years ago

Here is the chandelier I bought. I think it would work in your space too. It is similar to the very expensive ones above. It was disc. and is only 350. It was originally, when I started stalking it two years ago (!), 1200.00. I think it's beautiful and the shape is lovely. No, it's not hanging yet. I like clean lines and nothing too fussy. It's based on some 40's design. I hope it might work for you too. I meant to post it yesterday, but I forgot! Oh, the color is a true brushed gold. My husband hates the color he has now told me. I'm considering having it painted nickel or chrome as the rest of the house is that tone. But, I do very much like the color as it's warm and sophisticated.
    :)
    Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Quoizel chandy.

• kimiko232
    11 years ago

BTW, we painted our lower cabinets in chelsea gray and it looks really lovely next to the dark gray. Our walls are in revere pewter. I think the dark gray sets it off perfectly. If you need me to I can drag that bad boy back in and take a picture of it next to our cabinets.
    Good luck!
    Kim

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I do think plenty of people pay $1000 or more for a light fixture, especially for an important position like over a table. They wouldn't sell them if people didn't buy them.

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Segbrown - you have great taste! I love your kitchen, too. I like #1 (without shades), #3 and #5.

Kimiko - Your light looks like a knock off of Segbrown's #1 above - and I mean that in a nice way! Does that Quoizel light have candles underneath those shades? How does it look without the shades? I wonder if it might work, and it is probably cheap enough to get it now and then if I hate it later I won't have invested too much. It's sort of similar to the shape Palimpset posted, and it's the right scale and price. I'm not sure about the color but guess, for that price, I could spray paint if I don't like it. Or I could get the pewter.

Will this one work?
    (please please please say yes! ;-) )

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Lighting is likely jewelry for a room. It's not hard to spend several thousand on a light, and I don't mean something huge or dripping with crystals. Like jewelry, I think you can really tell the good stuff, especially in person. I did find some relative bargains with vintage stuff and some quirky French pieces. But I think the look you are going for is more traditional.

I like your choice! I also like all the circa lighhting pieces Segbrown posted .. I think I recommended Circa too. To me, Circa is good quality but not terrible pricing. I don't think you can go wrong with your last choice or any of those Circa ones. They are simple yet with a sort of nod to the French!

• segbrown
    11 years ago

I really like Circa because it is very well edited. Lighting stores and websites are completely overwhelming to me, and I really *dislike* 98% of what they are selling.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I like all of Segbrown's and #3 really gets to the correct shape, I think. I agree Seg, I feel like I am really weeding through and awful lot of bad stuff to find something I like.

I think the last one you posted, Cottonpenny, works. I am not in love with that heavy ball on the bottom, but it has a nice essential form.

• segbrown
    11 years ago

I am sorry if I missed it ... has ceiling height been posted? I don't even know how tall any of these are.

(Thanks for the compliments on the kitchen, too, I forgot to acknowledge! It's still going strong, I don't want to tear anything out yet. ;-)

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seg - it's a 9 ft ceiling.

Well, it's done. I ordered the Quiozel one. It came to $340 with free shipping and a $20 coupon code and I think it'll look nice enough. I agree that I don't love the ball at the bottom but the others I liked were a lot more. And in the context of a new build that $700 or $1000 does make a difference. For this price, I can afford to replace in a few years when I have the room and the furniture together and can really tell what's going to work well.

The hardware on the furniture is brass so I got the gold one. I think it may stand out better against the grey walls, too.

I'm excited for this to be done and move on to other decisions!

For stinky, gratuitous hutch photo ;-)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I think the Quoizel will fit the bill better than anything that has been posted. (other than the completely traditional French ones). My cylindrical shade would have been in the placeholder category.

The Quoizel has a nice shape on it's own and its referential to the shape that I feel like the furniture asks for as well.

If it is a little big, Dorothy Draper used oversized fixtures of this sort with a relatively shorter chain length if necessary, and that's okay too.

• segbrown
    11 years ago

I like it, too, and I do like the brass, of course. I ended up with this one for our dining room, which is mahogany and cherry furniture. Brass just looks good with that color. Not the best photo, but

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Ooh, I like your final choice! I also liked all of the lights that segbrown posted. I was afraid that you would end up with something too glitzy and trendy. I don't even mind the little ball at the bottom.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I do like that shape. I didn't post one because of one of your comments about something you didn't like that ade me feel you wouldn't like that shape either. I was wrong. Don't tell my kids! LOL

And, for the record, I like all the Circa fixtures as well as the one cottonpenny ordered better than the cheaper ones I posted.

• kimiko232
    11 years ago

Oh yay!
    I'm so glad that it worked for you! I thought that it might. I also do not love the ball at the bottom, but for the price you really can't beat it! It's very light, but comes in a huge box. The shades are paper (I believe) and there are candles underneath. Since it's still pretty much boxed up, I can't tell you how it would look without the shades (I didn't open up the shade boxes). I was thinking about the same thing.

My husband said he could live with the brass as I was going to get the nickel one (really for him). By the time we decided on the nickel, they were all sold out everywhere. I mean everywhere! So, I got the same one you got in the same finish for less on ebay. I thought for the price, I could spray it too. FYI: I called maaco and they quoted me 125 to spray it chrome without a clearcoat 185 with. Just in case you didn't want the hassle of painting.
    Glad it worked!
    :)
    Kim

• homeagain
    11 years ago

I'm late to the party. It seems you already ordered. Just in case you don't love your new light when it arrives, Ethan Allen has the a version of the french country one posted above that you liked and it's not rust.

They also have several more that I think would work in your space.

I'm currently in love with #3.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen Scarlet

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

segbrown, where did you get that chandelier? I just showed it to dh and he likes it, he likes it!

• segbrown
    11 years ago

It's from Visual Comfort (as much as I dislike lighting, I like pretty much everything from VC) -- Studio Sandy Chapman Ring Chandelier. I bought it from a local lighting store, but it's in the online stores. Seems the local price was cheaper ... but that was a few years ago, and i know metal is more $$.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Thank you, I'll look it up and see what else dh & I can agree on.

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update:

Got this light in the mail (the one above from Quiozel). The gold color is "different". It's not brass but gold. It would look really stunning with blue walls, I think. But I already have grey...

So we'll see how it works out. I'm going to need some gold accessories to tie it together, I think. It's going to force sort of a grey and yellow (gold) look I think.

If anyone is wondering, I don't think it can be used without the shades, cause there are no real "candle" looking things underneath.

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a dining room from Houzz with sort of similar furniture, same wall color, and "french" chandelier though more traditional than mine.

[Traditional Dining Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Other Metros Interior Designer Shari Misturak

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here's another chelsea gray room...the light is antique bronze or somesuch, but the shades are goldish. Don't like the plaid but do like the linen tones with it.

Should I get some gold-framed paintings/pictures/whatnot?

[Traditional Dining Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Atlanta Architect Bradley E Heppner Architecture, LLC

• segbrown
    11 years ago

That's pretty. If you want, tou can buy the candle covers separately ... http://www.chandelierparts.com/chandeliercandlecovers.aspx

Also, for anyone else looking, I forgot to mention the Ballard catalog .. they have some nice (and nicely priced) chandeliers