Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonfly_

Valance opinions please

dragonfly_
15 years ago

Looking for thoughts on this valance. I have 6 almost finished for this room. I hung this one more than a month ago to see if I wanted to make any changes before I finish them. I think it needs something, but I can't figure out what it needs. Cuff larger? Bottom trim wider? Length? Possibly it is fine it is just me being critical. I need opinions please. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Comments (28)

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Looks good to me! And I love the use of the pegs to hang it!

• diydevon
    15 years ago

i really like it, and like graywings said i love the use of the pegs! that window is just really tall and thin so maybe thats just whats throwing you off a bit - perhaps try hanging it on the other window & see what you think.

• kimberlyrkb
    15 years ago

Fringe or trim on the bottom?? I dunno, I like it as is. Can you hang the other 6 that are almost done to see how they all look together before making any decisions? I think that might help, if they're done enough.

Very pretty room and what a nice view out the windows!

• msrose
    15 years ago

It looks great to me and I love the fabric you used.

Laure

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

Is that darker color at the very top-a trim? Very pretty choice! Also, is that just a hem on the bottom edge of the valance? If so? Maybe add a thin braided trim to the bottom edge that's the color of the top edge of the valance. When I made mine-I had the same issue-then once I added the darker 1/2" braided trim to the bottom..it was perfect! You could also add a small tassle in the center as well or maybe sew a faceted bead droplet in the center..it would catch the light from those gorgeous windows!

• dragonfly_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I appreciate your help.
    Sharon, The darker color at the top (cuff) is a plaid fabric that I attached. I used the same fabric for the trim on the bottom edge.
    This started with a photo of a valance I found. I did not want to spend $30.00 for the pattern. The cuff was the most challenging to figure out. I measured the width of the valance and divided evenly for each scallop then attached along with loops to hang..
    The pegs were part of the inspiration photo also. They were $5.00 each (peg) to purchase. Each peg would screw into the wall. I decided on this option instead. My husband made these for me. Two screws to hold the rack instead of the many separate pegs.
    I think some type of trim at the bottom might be the missing touch.
    Thank you all for your help. If anyone has more to offer feel free.

• karoloke
    15 years ago

I think it is beautiful as is! Lovely job.

• Sujafr
    15 years ago

Very pretty! I think I'd line the valance, at least partially (along the back edges), with that pretty plaid-- where we currently see your white lining. Your colors are so rich.

I've admired that style valance myself. In the pictures of that style I've saved, the valance is a little fuller in width, and the cuff a little bigger---but I don't know that I'd re-do what you have for those things necessarily. They also lined them with the same material as the cuff--at least what is seen from the front. You're very talented to come up with that without a pattern!

• parma42
    15 years ago

Very nice.

Is that a Robert Allen fabric? It looks just like the one I used for the living room drapes in my last house. I always loved those window treatments.

• dragonfly_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sujafr, I thought of lining the back of the valance with the plaid, but I prefer the look (outside view) of white or off white. My eye views it is a cleaner look. I am going to pin a narrow section of plaid along sides on the back of the valance .
    One of the advantages making your own pattern allows the ability to add or subtract any detail to your liking. Thanks for your help.

• robynpa
    15 years ago

I think it's great as is. I wish I could make something like that - it's very pretty!

• imsmilng
    15 years ago

I like it!

• karoloke
    15 years ago

I have fabric to make a valance for my kitchen window but haven't decided exactly what I'll do yet. I like the style of yours, but am trying to figure it out at the top. Is it cut straight across with the cuff just flipped over, or is it scalloped across the top? Also, do you mind sharing how long it is at the sides and the middle?

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I think it's very pretty, but are you using just the valance with no curtains or sheers or blinds? It looks very dark with the white trim and nothing to mediate between the two.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

You've done a great job!!!! When you get all of them put up it will look like you hired a pricey professional to do them. Kudos to you!!!!!!

• dragonfly_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ideefxe- At the moment I have not decided on panels. I have no close neighbors so privacy is not an issue. The morning sun in this room is wonderful. Our previous home was always dark. I am enjoying all the light.
    Karoloke- The sides of the valance are 26" long and the center is 16"
    I cut the panels with the length along the selvedge edge. I believe in the photo I saw the valance was cut on the bias. I did not have enough material to cut this way. Cutting on the bias gives valance a better drape.
    The cuff is double faced. I cut two pieces of the same and stitched around the bottom edge leaving the top open. The top of the valance is cut with the same scallop to match the cuff. I attached the cuff with the back of the valance facing adding the loops while stitching. I clipped and turned cuff to the front leaving the seam hidden. I will finish the inside edges so they will not ravel. Hope this helps. I am a visual person and find photos often help. Here are a few photos to view.
    Front Cuff

Back View

Seam Under Cuff

Bottom Edge

• les917
    15 years ago

Maybe a bit wider trim on the sides and bottom, but honestly, I think the problem is the color of the pegs. The valances have so much color and read pretty dark against the wall and trim colors. Because the pegs are the same color as the trim, they visually almost disappear, and the valances look like they are 'floating' on that window, not anchored.

Try taking a piece of masking tape or something, and coloring it with a marker in the rusty red or deep green from the plaid, and covering the end of the peg. I think you might see a difference that will help.

• georgiagal
    15 years ago

I really love them & you've done a great job with the sewing & all, but I'd love to see them move UP towards the crown molding, so that the top of the window doesn't show. I think it would show them off so much more to have the pegs shown on the wall and it would let a little more of your window show. That's how I'm used to seeing these type of valances hung. It's beautiful though!

• playfish
    15 years ago

I really like your valance. May I ask where you purchased your fabric? I just love those colors!

• marys1000
    15 years ago

I think it looks great as is. It ties in with the wall color great. It has a fair amount going on now with the print, plaid, scallops, pegs, trim.

Less is more.

• dragonfly_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

playfish- I purchased the fabric at Calico Corners.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

I love the fabrics, both of them. I love the style you chose and think it's all going to look great. But if you are seeing something not just quite right, then, I will tell you what I think it may be for me....

There is not enough visual weight at the bottoms to offset the weight at the top. Maybe that is not expressed very well, but either a deeper hem (like 1 1/2") or some ball fringe or tassel trim at the bottom? You might try Hancocks or JoAnns and just buy enough for one valance, pin it on and see if it looks better to you. (Or, if you were Red, you could just open a drawer and yards of unused trim would pop out at you!!)

It's not that it NEEDS trim, I think it's just that the bottom reads not heavy enough.

Red

• dragonfly_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

redbazel, I now believe that is it! A wider binding or maybe some added trim will balance top and bottom.
    I have a bag full of trim. I purchased yards of different colors when Hancock closed in our area about 2 years ago. The price was irresistible. Unfortunately, none of the trims are the color I need. I miss that store!!
    I will check to see what JoAnns has. I know Calico Corners has lovely trim however, I am sure the cost would be more than the fabric for 6 valances.

• karoloke
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting the pictures showing the details and telling how you made them. That is very helpful. I hope you'll post again when you get them all done and up.

• User
    15 years ago

I like the style of your valances and the workmanship is very nice! I agree that the bottom needs a wider band, possibly twill tape? A wider strip of the plaid? and/or fringe or tassels?

From the photo it looks as though the valances do not hang with enough weight. Your desire for a white lining is understandable, as you probably want the windows to present a uniform appearance from the outside. Therefore I would put a heavier material on the reverse side (in white) to make each valance look more substantial and hang convincingly.

Very nice job!

• texashottie
    15 years ago

Wow, you got some great advice here and I agree with most of it. So I won't reiterate. But I wanted to say that you're creating a beautiful space and I just love seeing you and DH's work---very inspiring! Please post us pics when you have them all up too. :)

• kitchen_girl
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I like the pegs you used, did you make that yourself or did you purchase it? By the way, I used the exact same fabric for my kitchen valances and did a contrast in stripes (I purchased from Calico as well). Yours look so pretty.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    15 years ago

I agree with Les on the pegs. Can you paint just the peg itself a darker color? I think Red is right on about the bottom weight as well. The valances are beautiful.