Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seating on raised hearth?

Posted by deee (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 8:17

We have a large raised hearth. When we have a big group at our house, people often sit on it.

Would it look odd to put a decorative love seat cushion on the hearth? I Googled for images but most of the hits were for child proofing products or extended hearths that double as benches.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seating on raised hearth?

I wouldn't do it, just for the heat alone. How about getting a cushioned bench that you can pull out and put in front of the hearth for those occasions?

o

Is it gas or wood? If gas and behind glass, and not used frequently you could put cushions there so long as it doesn't obstruct the venting in any way.

If wood, then no. Too much risk of fire with any escaping ash or ember.

What you could do is get a large basket to stick in the corner with "sit upon" type loose cushions which a guest can use when visiting and then put back when not. More than likely, when the fire is going, it'll be too hot to sit there anyway so something temporary would be best.

We have a sitting wall around our terrace, and I hope to eventually provide loose cushions for company there as well...

o

From Houzz

Here is a link that might be useful: Hearth Cushions Examples

o

Those are handsome cushions in the link louislinus provides, but flammable material that close to a source of heat just doesn't seem *right* to me. I know there's no actual danger, but it just looks... odd. Especially as a permanent fixture that isn't needed on a daily basis.

I like Annie's idea of storing cushions nearby--I have a basket of blankets in our FR that guests will occasionally use.

o

I would only use a cushion when it's being used as a seat - but having sat on my parents' hearth a thousand times, I know a cushion will be greatly appreciated!

o

I also saw the houzz photos. The cushions in the picture are much more formal and constructed than I was imagining. In typical houzz fashion, the search showed thousands of results and only 1 or 2 that actually related to the search

We live in a warm climate and only have fires a couple of times a year. I just planned on moving the cushion when needed.

photo ceee4e67-ad11-40b3-afa1-256b3ae86257.jpg

I actually saw these cushions in an ad this morning and they made think of the idea. I like the shape and the casual style but think a solid would work better with the brick pattern.

photo 86a842b7420723df6a58f0a64c4f6bcb.jpg

Still a no?

I like AD's basket idea but I really don't have much room around the fireplace.

o

Pretty cushions! Your fireplace is even more lovely.

Still, I would only get cushions for entertaining, not as a permanent fixture on the hearth. When not in use, I'd store them away.

Love your creamy walls... can I ask what color?

o

yours is a wood fireplace. I wouldn't put any fabric anywhere near it.

Get a nice bench you can put in front of the heart for parties, or two small once you can put in front of the windows on either side of the FP when not in use.

o

As you can see by the enclosed photos, a cushion is used on our raised hearth for additional seating, and it works very well. I remove it during the winter if we burn a fire, but otherwise have it there all the time. I could have made it longer, but this one fits between the legs of our screen perfectly. I made this in my Etsy shop.

I make these for other people on Etsy, in fabrics selected to coordinate with their living area decor, and they are quite popular. I think it would work great for your situation.

photo IMG_2472_zps81d81f1e.jpg photo IMG_2432_zpsc16f0d0e.jpg

o

Nanny, I love your owl andirons :) Are they vintage?

o

As you can see by the enclosed photos, a cushion is used on our raised hearth for additional seating, and it works very well. I remove it during the winter if we burn a fire, but otherwise have it there all the time. I could have made it longer, but this one fits between the legs of our screen perfectly. I made this in my Etsy shop.

I make these for other people on Etsy, in fabrics selected to coordinate with their living area decor, and they are quite popular. I think it would work great for your situation.

photo IMG_2472_zps81d81f1e.jpg photo IMG_2432_zpsc16f0d0e.jpg

o

Nanny - thanks for the photo of your hearth cushion. It is exactly what I had in mind. Now I just have to decide on a fabric! I remember that you have an Etsy shop. Would you mind sharing a search term to use so I can find it?

Peony - the color is BM monterey white. It is definitely a chameleon color. I like how it looks in my big bright room. But, I also used it in a smaller room on the other side of the house and i was just thinking today that I would like to change it. Unfortunately, the color is affected by the green lawn and trees outside the windows and the walls look pale chartreuse during the day.

o

I don't care for the long coordinating cushion in front of the fireplace opening. Perhaps you could find smaller cushions for each side of the opening? And, I would look for a solid cushion fabric that would blend in with the brick. In this case, I would keep it simple.

o

I've been searching for a cushion to fit my rock bench next to the hearth, but haven't had any luck because of the dimensions. But I think they're great! With the right color and fabric print, it adds so much to the room. My FP is so big I need something colorful there.

We also use it as extra seating and I know a cushion would be comfy.

In the past I've used a folded quilt and that also works.

o

Errant, no my owl andirons aren’t vintage. I had two vintage owl andirons originally, that were stolen during a move. These are a modern replacement.

I go by the name of 4Heidesign in my shop, since my real name is Heidi. If you look for a shop by that name, you’ll find mine.

o

I have a couple of extra throw cushions from the couch placed on the hearth. We entertain more than we use the wood FP, so when we use the fire, we move the cushions to the couch.

o

I think I would like the idea of two cushions on your fireplace...one on each side of the firebox. That way you wouldn't have to move them when you have a fire and people could use them to sit on with or without the fire.

o

We kept extra throw cushions from our couch on each side of the fire box for a long time. When we gave away that furniture we included the throws, and I miss having them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here