Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennybog_gw

Impulse Buy.HELP!

jennybog
9 years ago

Hello i was shopping for a New sofa ,Love seat or settee and two chairs for my small(13x13) Living room.I have always had slip covered furniture and recently sold my 15 year old set.I purchased a $2800 linen sofa.I loved it in the store but once i got home with it ,I realized that slip covered furniture was the way to go.I have been advertising it on craigslist list for only 1400.I am heart broken for i have found the PERFECT English rolled arm slip covered furniture.Any ideas??The used furniture store will take 50 % and will only list it for $1800

Comments (25)

• dedtired
    9 years ago

It looks like a perfectly nice sofa, although rather modern if it is to be replaced by an English roll arm sofa.

Are you on Facebook? In my community there are a number of FB pages where people sell items. One in particular is for high-end items only. Look to see if you have one and list it there. If you can offer delivery, you'll get a lot more interest. Most people don't have a way (transportation and muscle) to move a big item, and don't want the additional cost of hiring movers.

Perhaps you could have a slipcover made for this, although it makes no sense to sink more money into it if you're not happy with it. I really like the high back -- nice for resting your head. It's so pretty! Are you sure it won't work?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you're willing to take a $1400 loss by selling the sofa, why not just have slipcovers made for it instead?

Also, don't panic too much. The covers on the cushions, seat and back, are removable, so you can wash them.

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

I think that's a beautiful sofa, but the light color would deter me. If I couldn't sell it myself and get good money for it, I would get slipcovers made. That style would work well in a small space - rolled arms take up a lot of room.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I think that is a really unique and beautiful sofa.

Just get the slipcovers made and enjoy it.

• roarah
    9 years ago

I love your sofa. I always have buyer's remorse when I make a big purchase and I suggest you not do anything yet and see if when the room is finished you might actually really like the sofa after all. I hated my slip covered PB sofa it was always messy looking so I prefer the tighter look of your new piece so I am definitely biased.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Get slipcovers made. It's a very good looking sofa. Classic and unique.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

Since you love the other sofa, I wouldn't put more money into this one by having slipcovers made. Do you have any alternatives to the used furniture store, like a different used furniture store or a consignment shop? It seems like you are willing to take a loss and it is just a question of how much of a loss. Is it a matter of accepting the loss or do you need the money from this sofa to pay for the new one? Are there other things that you can sell on Craigslist to offset the cost of the new sofa? Or perhaps sacrificing something to justify the cost of a new sofa, like working some overtime hours or not buying something else you planned on buying, or skipping a vacation.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Jenny, for a small living room, I agree with Katrina, rolled arms take up allot of space. I found that out when we moved from our last home to this one. Though both rooms were about the same size, this one has two wide doorways on either side, making much of the room pretty much a no upholstered furniture zone because of the walkway. Our rolled arm sofa and chair overwhelmed the room.

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

I had a rolled arm slip covered sofa. The arms get kind of lost under the slipcover.

You picked a really nice piece. I would live with it a while and see if it grows on you. I also like the custom slipcover route. It would work well on this piece.

• jennybog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the advice.I am just going to keep trying to sell it.The one is want has a english rolled arm so I think it will work.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I think we all got stuck on the "rolled arms" and missed the "English".

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I don't know why you just don't call the furniture store and tell them it's not working in your room. Even if they charge a restocking fee, it sure wouldn't be 50%.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Yep, buy or have custom slipcovers made. Can't you exchange for a store credit?

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Will the store with the sofa you prefer take it as a trade-in? I don't think that happens often, but you could ask.

• jennybog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We Did call.I was unable to fit it in the door and had to take a window out to get it in.They said Sorry we dont do restocking fees.I will not buy from this store again.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

What a shame. It's so easy to forget about checking return policies when shopping. I'm sorry this happened to you. I'd make sure I'd publicized this as much as possible. If you're on fb, tell all your friends.

• roarah
    9 years ago

Are you near Connecticut by chance if so lets make a deal :)! I really love your wingback sofa and its unique lines.

• jennybog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roarah, I am in Maine.I would be willing to drive it half way.Here is the listing.

http://maine.craigslist.org/atq/4559992997.html

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Hope you get a taker who loves it. Looks like a very nice sofa.

• Kitch4me
    9 years ago

I too am wanting a English arm sofa. Could you tell me where you found it?

Thanks!

• jennybog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kitch4me this is from club furniture.com

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I checked the stores website and they seem to have been in business for a long time. Are they telling you that there are no returns and all sales are final? I really can't believe that.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I checked the stores website and they seem to have been in business for a long time. Are they telling you that there are no returns and all sales are final? I really can't believe that.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

For a $1400 loss, I would get a slip cover made, some pillows like the one you like and some small custom arm protectors that are padded and made to look like your English Rolled Arms.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

That's a beautiful sofa but I'm sorry you're having buyer's remorse. I understand how that goes.

If you can't sell it I would definitely have a slipcover made for it. I want to get a slipcovered armless sofa for my eat in kitchen and plan on buying a fully upholstered piece with a slipcover added on. That way, it will still be usable when the slipover is being cleaned.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County