Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arc2v

Plantation shutter advice on windows

Anthony
9 years ago

Hi all,
I would have posted this in the Windows sections, but it appears to have be overrun by phishing/spam (completely overrun).

My 3 year old decided to pull down the old fake brass draw rod and its 30 year old curtains and sheer drape in the LR this weekend. Not a huge deal as we were eventually going to replace, but it got the conversation accelerated.

House is a cottage/farmhouse/colonial. Brick, mostly colonial look, but not a big rectangle.

The windows in questions are about 60" tall and 40" wide. The rest of the windows on the front of the house are also 40" wide (trim to trim, 36" on the actual sash), but shorter.

Questions:
Is 40" wide enough to do 3 panels? I imagine 4 panels would be too narrow/busy. Sadly 2 panels won't work because the windows are so close that they'd overlap when open.

From a design standpoint: do the entire house or just front of house? Wife is worried that the dining room (rear of house) would look out of place with curtains on the 2 windows while the LR had shutters.

Thanks. Pictures when I get home.

Comments (6)

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Definitely post a picture of the two side by side 40" windows. If they're close enough together, I bet you could do two panels with an opening in the middle.

I have the shutters in two rooms, and valances, tiers in the other rooms. I like mixing it up as long as I don't have both in one room.

• Anthony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are about 30" apart. I've been looking into different mounting options, and I'll have to re-measure for an inside mount. It may indeed barely fit with only two panels, mounted that way.

• etex
    9 years ago

Do you need to be able to open the shutters? I have 4 1\2 inch shutters and when I just open the slats it lets plenty of light through. I never actually open the shutter itself. I will try to attach a picture......

• Anthony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love the table! Thanks for the pic. We would like to open the shutters sometimes. Won't leave any open, though.

Here's a pic of the smaller window:
    Best I can tell the mounting spot would have to be removing the 3/4 x 1/2 ogee molding and installing a mounting strip there. Only other option would be a full replacement of the casing with a trim (that could direct mount the hinges).

there are so many windows, I don't want to replace the entire sill and all the trim, if I can avoid it.

• Anthony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the two taller windows together. Pardon the curtain mess, we were trying to see if we liked curtains that only came down to the sill (instead of all the way to the floor).

We would remove the bookcase (eventually), so being able to open without collision would be important.

There's a slim chance a 2 panel would fit if inside mounted. I'll have to confirm the measurements.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Hope this help give you an idea of what yours might look like....here's ours. We have three of the same size windows in our living room.