Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peegee_gw

How to report SPAM?

peegee
9 years ago

I've seen so many references to posters having reported crap like today's plethora of postings, but how does one actually go about the process???

Comments (15)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I sent a note in on the "contact us" link at the bottom of the forum home page. It seems to have hit a bunch of the other forums too, so I'm sure they'll get on it..but it is a holiday weekend, so give 'em time.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

I sent one too. Never seen so much of it.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Somebody has WAY too much time on their hands! They had to register for all the different screen names, pick the different forums to post in......

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

They areb't real people, it's a computer program that generates it.

When you report spam, use the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page, and "Abuse" from the drop-down menu, "spam" in the subject line. Then add the URL of the thread and the URL of the spammer.

In this case, it'll take The Powers That Be some time to clean it up. I'm sure that the criminal attack was planned for the weekend. Don't bother reporting it now.

How'd you like to come back from a 3 day weekend and find THIS on your desk? Sigh.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I was on late last night and started reporting, then so many showed up I gave up and just reported that there was a slew of it here. But it would be great if some other people would help post in the ones that don't have replies which shows they haven't been reported so that they at least move down the page....just write SPAM and it will move down until the admins can get to it.

Thanks!

• lucillle
    9 years ago

I think the perps are no-account neutered cowards, to attack a nice place like GW, and to do so on a holiday weekend.

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

They are crooks, probably in Eastern Europe, generating all this by computer and just aiming to get people to go to a website and get their computers infected.

Please DO NOT reply to the posts. That only drops them down. It will be easier for the Admin team to find them if the spam posts are all clustered to the top of the page.

I'd like to see some spam prevention measures on GW. Seems like anyone can registered and post.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

I would think that by now GW would at least use Captcha.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I reported it just now. Hope they start removing it soon.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

What they need to do is put a temporary hold on ALL new members signing-up. It's not going to stop by merely deleting post. The computer doesn't know it's being deleted-only that there is an open door .

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

This weekend is the worst I have ever seen on GW. It is important to report each thread. Then go back to the thread to leave a post so others know it was reported. Just bumping it down does not remove it.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

You don't want to leave a post on one of the spam threads IF:

the thread has a "a copy of this will be emailed to the original poster"--what ever the wording is on that...

AND

you allow your email address to be viewed when communicating with members.

BECAUSE:

a spammer now has your email address to bombard as well.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I'm not worried about the spam staying clustered. With all the reports, it's pretty likely they will delete any members who joined at the time the attacks started, as well as their posts.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Have you seen the remodeling forum today? It is completely filled with spam. Only 2 legitimate threads on page 1.

Interesting about the spammer having your email. I rarely get spam email and I post "reported" on spam threads all the time. I do see how it could be a concern.

Since there appears to be no moderator this weekend I wonder if we would all get away with using the f word?

I block all the ads but if I did see them I would be tempted to contact those advertisers and tell them how the boards are now in chaos with no supervision.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

debrak2008 - I got a kick out of your post. I'll go first.......

FUDGE and I really, really mean it.

Felt good to get that out :)