Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storm door clearance won't allow for a doormat

Posted by jakabedy (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 7:56

Does anyone else have this situation? We've recently moved into our new home and quickly realized the sweep of the storm doors doesn't allow any clearance for a doormat in front of either front door (main front door, and door to DH's office, at the right end of the porch). There's no step up from the porch into the house. I have a rug inside the door that catches most "stuff", and we're going to find something similar for inside DH's office this weekend, but it still seems odd to me NOT to have a door mat.

If you've faced something similar, did you just do without? Or did you put a mat off to the side somewhere?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storm door clearance won't allow for a doormat

I don't have a door mat outside my front door, and you step UP to go in through the door, so there is plenty of room for a mat. But I don't have one because the porch floor is wood, and you don't want a mat on wood. I just have the inside mat.

o

Tibbrix -

Our porch/portal has a concrete floor -- no special considerations needed. And I'm still toying with the overall plan for how to decorate the space. The mat conundrum just adds to the fun.

o

You don't mention whether or not your front door is under an overhang but Home Depot carries some very flat mats that are more for indoor but could be used for outdoor.

It sounds like there isn't even a doorsill - interesting.

o

I have the same problem. Some sweeps are adjustable, you might want to check that. Ours is adjusted to all the way up, for the most clearance, which isn't much. I am able to find mats for it but they have to be super thin. I have found them at Walmart and Dollar General. I found a real pretty one at Dollar General that just says Welcome and has a basket of Geraniums on it.

o

I have my door mat off to the side even though there is room for the door to open. The reason I have it off to the side, is if you wipe your feet on it, and it is in front of the door, you have to step back off the mat to open the door. Mine is off to the side, wipe your feet, open the door and enter the house. Doen't look funny at all. My back door to the wooden deck has the mat off to the side for the same reason.

o

I do the same as grandmaof3. It kind of bugs me that the doormat is off to the side, but couldn't think of anything better. This is our back door and we often have dirty feet coming in from the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here