Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photos of your Style

Posted by aktillery (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 7:55

I always wonder the style of the poster when I get opinions on my various decorating questions.

I think it would be fun for anyone who wants to "show" their style. It doesn't need to be a picture of your home, it can be an inspiration pic or a photo of a room you really love.

I will go first. I would say my style is traditional but in a more contemporary way. I like straight lines for the most part. I love antique piece! I am also a huge fan of lamps, the more the merrier. It is hard to describe. Guess that is why posting a photo always helps.

I am posting photos from For the love of a house blog.

photo BarnRoom080_zps8c9ad4cc.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photos of your Style

Her style would be my style, too, if I had the money. So, to see my style, all you have to do is take away everything that cost more than $100.00. There you have it!

I love her place, and gaze at her blog over and over.......still can't afford it.

Nancy

o

Boy that's a hard one to answer, unless I can say eclectic. It's funny, there are many individual things I like from many different eras, but often I don't like a single room from a particular era. I know many are fans of MCM, me not so much, but I do love the starburst clocks that were so popular.

I like some minimalist farmhouse design so long as it doesn't go too cold.

A lot of art deco designs I like individually, but I wouldn't want an art deco room or house.

I like some of the ornateness of Italian or Victorian design, but wouldn't want to live in one of those houses.

But at my core, traditional is probably mostly my style.

At my age and stage of life, I'm all about de-stressing and seeking calm. I like my decor style to reflect that too, so when I see some of the old Phoebe Howard rooms (have to say her new stuff, not so much) I just go aahhh serenity!

Reminds me of when we first started with our architect and he asked me what kind of house I wanted and I said adorable. He said but what style and I replied, "I'd like a contemporary traditional tudor-style cape with a touch of Frank Lloyd Wright!" Surprised he didn't throw me out of his office right then and there!

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 9:57

o

I think this is a great thread. I've always wondered how the homes of those who are giving me advice are decorated or what their decorating style is. I can appreciate every style and consider my style somewhat traditional/eclectic.

If money was not an issue I'm sure my house would look COMPLETLY different.

These are my rooms and what I seem to gravitate to when I'm decorating on my budget.

http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/dinobambino/sgallery.esi

This post was edited by dinobambino on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 11:12

o

o

Hmmm....I wanted to say my style is yours. But I call it mixed rustic because of a love for old iron and natural elements, with good wood furniture and tailored slipcovers.. My son told me I had such a wonderful home to come to, that it was always well decorated and welcoming. He always felt comfortable and warm surrounded by all. I found this to be a high compliment. Although he never noticed I kept changing furniture, etc. around through the year or newly painting rooms.

o

I always call my style traditional eclectic because I mix periods and styles, but mostly from traditional eras. This photo borrowed from a source on Houzz.com is somewhat representative of my style.

o

Great idea!

I love humble contemporary, vintage, art and kitsch. I try to feel a bit urban-european (mix contemporary/vintage with a very utilitarian small space feel, geared towards entertaining) but am not minimalist enough to pull it off.

Inspiration:

Reality:

IMG_0781

Some more photos from my style file (sorry they're unattributed :( )

dining room 2

coral nook

Love this colorway
Guest bedroom

Reality:
IMG_0765

IMG_0766

I feel like I need a little more discipline and more boldness with wall color to get where I want to be.

o

I forgot to say what a great idea for a thread this is.

o

this house could be my house if I were the owner and I would be very proud to own it.

http://www.vignettedesign.net/2013/07/summer-showcase-of-homes-vignette-design.html

The lady with "For the Love of a House" has done a beautiful job with her home. I would love to visit it.

So many of you here have gorgeous homes that I would like to own a part of. I would like to have some of everything I see here, but not all of it, but this house on vignettedesign feels as though I have lived in it. I think I would love the view, because, for me, it feels like an incarnation.

o
A few More

What beautiful spaces! Thanks for sharing and I am so glad you guys think this is a good idea!

I thought I would add a few more photos since one doesn't always encompass everything that you l like. Even then there are always items in a room you selected from a photo that you may not like, but you like the big picture.

photo Kitchen1_zpsfa756aac.png

photo kitchen2_zpsb18837c7.png

photo 7c1ef4d1-cb25-42c9-9cf2-538f4ca35e6f_zps864ef37b.png

o

I like a lot of styles - this time around, we're decorating a new condo in modern/contemporary. In my last house, fairly traditional.

(I could happily live in kswl's family room).

o

Go to roomandboard.com. Click on almost any photo. That's my style. Love contemporary, clean lines with little clutter. We have lots of Room & Board furniture throughout our house.

o

Interesting thread as I am fairly new to following this forum and and gradually coming to understand the different styles of the regular contributors.

If I had a style, I guess it would be eclectic casual. As I've gotten older I do have more appreciation for different styles and have even grown quite fond of modern/contemporary, which I hated for years.

Anyway, I live in FL, and this little beach cottage that I stayed in last year is definitely the style I love for beachy florida living. Although small, it was casual, bright and cheerful, and seating was arranged so we could have other family over while staying there. Even had guests on the cute sleeping porch for a few nights.

Here is a link that might be useful: small beach cottage

o

ak, the kitchen in the second photo you posted at 12:38 is a favorite of mine. I want to live in that kitchen.

This is a great thread. But you know what I thought it was about? A real-life photo that illustrates our *actual* style. Not necessarily the whole place, because many of us aren't there yet, haven't completed our vision, if that's even possible. But maybe a room or even a small corner or wall of a room where we can say, "Here. This is my style." Perhaps a thought for another thread.

o

Rustic, cozy, quaint, not gigantic, like this, on a lake.

o

o

How interesting, pal, since I think of you with mcm, given your current project...

o

Lin, great idea! You can always do that on this thread too.

Pal, I too am surprised. Would've never guessed!

o

I am a purist, first. So I think you have to play the hand you are dealt.

I could never afford to own a restored/intact early 19th c. house, and I couldn't afford to restore one either: restoration of a single historic ceiling in my apartment, one that was relatively simple, was $10K. I don't have $100,000 to spend on ceilings just to make them look original. I will never have $1M to spend restoring a historic house and that's probably what I would have to spend.

So I bought what I could afford, and it's a modernist/brutalist house with a very clear point of view and a strong layout. And that's fine, I will make sure that everything I do to the structure looks modernist. (But it's probably going to end up filled with a lot of traditional furniture)

o

Great thread. Love the ideas.

I love rough materials - wood, stone. Dark stain with contrasting walls.

Not so much the tub and open shower. Need tub in next photo.

This is half of our front veranda. Love this bench, stone garage wall and flagstone floor.

o

I think I have a style, but I fear I am just a sucker for whatever they market to me. At least I know my weaknesses.

I would say my first house I ignored what was in style and really tried to take all of my cues from the formal Georgian colonial architecture.

But when I look at ATK's first photos, they remind me a lot of the choices I have made here in my CT farmhouse..

IN the first photo ATK posted alone, I can check off the following in my home:
Barn doors
Urn
Metal console table
sisal
hardwood wideplank flooring
white duck slipcovered sofas
oriental runner
off white panelling

I guess if I still like it when it is utterly, hopelessly "out", then I will know if it really was my style.

o

Alison, I almost posted a couple of those photos! Lovely!!

Mtn, I love of those things too!

Pea, what a fun beach house.

o

I think I would want two houses. But If I had to pick one, and I was suddenly single, had money and no kids - :) I think it would be this.... Kirstie's Maine house....

OK maybe three houses. A boho house (which I think I would like in a victorian) and an MCM house and the house above. :)

Fun thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: the maine house

o

I love the layered look best of all (appreciate minimalism as well-- maybe when the kids move out). Some elements are usually just a little too formal for my taste (and budget), but the overall feel is right . . .

This one is my absolute favorite. Busy without being overwhelming. Colorful but not jarring, interesting, cozy, welcoming, elegant.

I could do with fewer pillows, but I bet it would be really relaxing . . .

I like red . . .

I could go on and on . . .

o

Boop, I bet you are the most fun at the party.
Anele, I love that first picture. I imagine Dorothy Parker sitting on that bench, replacing the lady in the picture, with her garter broken.

o

Tribbix, I want that lake house!!

It's so interesting how different we all are - there are some houses here I love and would love to live in, some that I love but wouldn't want to live in, and some that I absolutely hate!

o

I am what I would call "pared down" traditional. I adore old southern Georgian homes with very high ceilings and ornate trim work. I love fine antiques, but not too many and not too fussy...nothing Victorian. I would rather see one fine piece of art on a wall that looks bare, than walls filled with nothing special. I just received as a gift " The Welcoming House" an amazing coffee table book by two southern designers Jane Schwab and Cindy Smith. That look is what I strive toward as I slowly try to complete my home decor (but completing it would remove the fun, right?) ;)

o

NSM, when I get that house, you may come and visit me in it! ;-)

o

I kept this photo for many years as an example of a pretty kitchen:

My real kitchen--- same colors (although light in these is strangely electric looking)

Sjhockeyfan, what a lovely and unexpected compliment, thank you!

o

I love your spaces KSL

o

NSM, when I get that house, you may come and visit me in it! ;-)

I'm hoping you mean SJHF :-)

o

Lovin' this thread...so enjoying seeing what everyone else enjoys!

o

SJHF, it'll be a gathering, with SJHF, NSM, TBRX…anyone else? Bring your BSes (bathing suits) and your DHs. DDs welcome (Dear Dogs, folks). We can watch a movie on the DVD in HD, before getting in the SUV and driving to TGIFs...

o

with indoor plumbing of course:

o

Love this...

o

And this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz room

o

My apologies for those of you who are sick of seeing my same old pics, but I thought my library inspiration is apt.

Here is the inspiration for the room.

Here's the actual room.

o

Sue, I have always LOVED that room on Houzz. I posted the kitchen in that house. Its so well done. Bright but cozy at the same time.

o

Annie, what color paint did you use for that room? I am about to paint a room with similar trim and built ins and looking for the perfect neutral golden tan to highlight it. Thanks.

o

The walls are BM dark beige and the ceiling is BM pearl harbor. I reversed the colors in the foyer, and the ceiling color in the library went on the walls in the dining room. Even though they are the same color, they look completely different due to the light exposure in the room. So much so that our trim carpenter didn't believe me and I gave him the swatch to check...it was the same.

This is pearl harbor on the walls.

o

Well I can see I have a lot of pinning to do!

o

Sueb20, that living room reminds me of yours--- I thought it WAS until I remembered that your sofa is green! Or have I lost my marbles and am thinking about somebody else's sofa, lol? Yours has your DH's photography above it, doesn't it?

This post was edited by kswl on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 8:38

o

kswl, then I guess my style is consistent! Yes, mine is the one with the DH photo over the sofa. My sofa color is "mink", which is a taupe-brown color, but I think it sometimes looks green in photos (or purplish, which is weird).

akt, I have that Houzz pic saved as inspiration for my retirement/downsizing next home. I would be very happy to just walk right into that room and call it my own!

o

I was trying to recall the name, and now I do - I love Windsor Smith. I love how she slips just a bit of light blue, light pink and gold into rooms.

Some will recall this one, which I used extensively for my stone house project:

o

I think this best represents my style. Thought I would be able to go minimialist, but I like too much stuff.

o

finallyhome, I like your style - minimal, but not TOO minimal :-)

o

I like rustic materials - wood & stone - in their most natural state. My rooms seem to always have a touch of masculinity with dark woods and rich colors.

I live in the TX Hill Country and the area strongly influences me as well.

However, of late, My style is undergoing a bit of an evolution. Still like natural/rustic materials but I'm gravitating towards cleaner, more refined lines and lighter tones.

Rustic contemporary perhaps?

photo Picture3_zpse547b228.png
 photo Picture5_zps00cb86bb.png
 photo Picture1_zps2cab392e.png
 photo Picture4_zps8b2bd245.png
 photo Picture7_zpsf463b2c5.png
 photo Picture9_zpsaa9781fa.png
 photo Picture6_zps81f8cbd9.png
 photo Picture8_zpsaed49af7.png
 photo Picture2_zps9a8ebe5d.png

o

That's a great inspiration house, magda!

o

I love this house, but I could just as easily pick completely different ones from this site. escorialdesigns.com It's a bit slow (at least on my old computer) but definitely worth a scroll through.

I don't think I've ever lived in a house that was a real reflection of my 'style', but I love MCM, farmhouse, ultra-modern and many others, too. Maybe my style is schizophrenic!

Here is a link that might be useful: farmhouse

o

Here are two homes that reflect a style I love. While our home doesn't look like either of these, I have adopted some of the same things such as a neutral base with color added in accessories, fabrics, rugs, etc., antiques, wood floors, live plants, etc., etc., etc.

My Sweet Savannah:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Sdk9E4jSP7c/UJU8-LvFBOI/AAAAAAAAYK8/gOt6-L5iB64/s640/home+tour+living+room+sofa.jpg

For the love of a house:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jI7daCl1Qho/TX0zBkTMFnI/AAAAAAAADH4/6ZInfztUcVc/s640/IMG_3231.JPG

tina

o

tinam, your pics
My Sweet Savannah

For the love of a house

o

I mentioned before that I told the architect that I wanted a "contemporary traditional tudor-style cape with a touch of Frank Lloyd Wright" and I think we actually came pretty close.

The inspiration from a Clopay ad

The reality:

o

Thank you Annie. It has been so long since I've posted any kind of picture - I could not remember how!!

o

Annie, I would say you nailed it with your inspiration, but I think the reality is actually much more beautiful than the inspiration. BTW, I am in love with your outdoor shower that you posted on another thread.

o

Mag, those rooms are stunning!

Annie, I would move into the house in the blog for the love of a house without hesitation!. Those were the first two photos I chose and posted. Both of the photos of are their barn room. Such an incredible place with so many nuances and pieces she has collected her entire life from all over the world!

o

Thanks, peacamp!

o

akt, I was confused by your comment at first...but now I get it...it was tinam who selected the pics, I just posted them for her....though I have to admit that NH place is pretty nice.

o

Oh! haha I guess tinam and me love the same house!

o

So many houses, beautiful houses, all living rent free in my head. I don't see one that I would not love. Thank you all for posting. It's a fun thread.

o

Great thread! I also wonder about the various styles on GW. Me, I love Miles Redd, Carlton Varney & Dorothy Draper. Love bright colors, cheery spaces, with sophistication and a little playfulness. In my house, sometimes function wins out, but I like to think form wins out more!

Some pics I love:

Varney -

photo 1-Varney-0209-xlg_zps26a69c0a.jpg

photo 2-Varney-0209-xlg-15444652_zpsba76b0af.jpg

Redd -

photo beach-media-game-room-miles-redd-lyford-cay-bahamas-201308-2_1000-watermarked_zps8be92af0.jpg

photo miles-redd1_zps0f937b59.png

photo P1130076_zps94e51742.jpg

photo miles-redd-interior-design-ed1110-07-lgn_zpse00572df.jpg

o

I really think these sum it up for me:

photo 289323b6aa452beb1ed92aef642b0d58_zps6c7c39f0.jpg
 photo bcdb606befeb8f7afc5cad9f506d9ccb_zpsf467a0f1.jpg
 photo 20f3403f59ebae508f3997cdf1b6d064_zps004abde4.jpg
 photo 5b4ed3ae69aeeaa417436e112ab2020b_zps6165fc76.jpg
 photo a44a7e22b611db86b40d5deec930bdb0_zpsfbdc2ddb.jpg
 photo a75d08c83eea9d8985e4b4ab47d5a58c_zps3f0c7f9d.jpg
 photo c9e6a375bb449dd452705a62020e258b_zps88b390ab.jpg
 photo caa1de5e631fd4fcb15985af24f51675_zps3935bc4f.jpg
 photo 217387de09f02645b85b4d838e5afa3d_zps2e7d83cd.jpg
 photo 365b42e85b6fa5f7b834d80a59efce06_zpsc189add1.jpg

o

PeaCamp, LOVED that beach house. Definately my style. Beachy/Coastal without being too cutesy. Just comfy and relaxing.

o

OH!!!! I love to share inspiration pictures! Many of these are the inspiration for the rooms in my home.

Living room inspiration (Im planning of stenciling our TV stand with a Chinoiserie pattern)

photo LivingRoom_zpsbc975fd2.jpg

These two are the inspiration for the master bedroom.

photo Library_zps130306f7.jpg

photo MasterBedroom_zps9df9d5e7.jpg

This is the (already posted before) inspiration for the guest bedroom.

photo GuestBedroom_zps08e5e9b9.jpg

And these are just all rooms I absolutely love but am out of room for!

photo Office_zps76d45ee7.jpg

photo LivingRoom2_zps76840d44.jpg

photo GirlsBedroom_zpsb3879e24.jpg

o

What a great thread,Aktillery. Will be back to shard mine when on computer. Tablet is great for looking, but not much else.

o

Magda,

I live in the Texas Hill Country too!!! Where exactly do you live? I am in Canyon Lake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here