Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Photos of your Style

amykath
9 years ago

I always wonder the style of the poster when I get opinions on my various decorating questions.

I think it would be fun for anyone who wants to "show" their style. It doesn't need to be a picture of your home, it can be an inspiration pic or a photo of a room you really love.

I will go first. I would say my style is traditional but in a more contemporary way. I like straight lines for the most part. I love antique piece! I am also a huge fan of lamps, the more the merrier. It is hard to describe. Guess that is why posting a photo always helps.

I am posting photos from For the love of a house blog.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (65)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

How interesting, pal, since I think of you with mcm, given your current project...

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lin, great idea! You can always do that on this thread too.

Pal, I too am surprised. Would've never guessed!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I am a purist, first. So I think you have to play the hand you are dealt.

I could never afford to own a restored/intact early 19th c. house, and I couldn't afford to restore one either: restoration of a single historic ceiling in my apartment, one that was relatively simple, was $10K. I don't have $100,000 to spend on ceilings just to make them look original. I will never have $1M to spend restoring a historic house and that's probably what I would have to spend.

So I bought what I could afford, and it's a modernist/brutalist house with a very clear point of view and a strong layout. And that's fine, I will make sure that everything I do to the structure looks modernist. (But it's probably going to end up filled with a lot of traditional furniture)

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Great thread. Love the ideas.

I love rough materials - wood, stone. Dark stain with contrasting walls.

Not so much the tub and open shower. Need tub in next photo.

This is half of our front veranda. Love this bench, stone garage wall and flagstone floor.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think I have a style, but I fear I am just a sucker for whatever they market to me. At least I know my weaknesses.

I would say my first house I ignored what was in style and really tried to take all of my cues from the formal Georgian colonial architecture.

But when I look at ATK's first photos, they remind me a lot of the choices I have made here in my CT farmhouse..

IN the first photo ATK posted alone, I can check off the following in my home:
    Barn doors
    Urn
    Metal console table
    sisal
    hardwood wideplank flooring
    white duck slipcovered sofas
    oriental runner
    off white panelling

I guess if I still like it when it is utterly, hopelessly "out", then I will know if it really was my style.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alison, I almost posted a couple of those photos! Lovely!!

Mtn, I love of those things too!

Pea, what a fun beach house.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I think I would want two houses. But If I had to pick one, and I was suddenly single, had money and no kids - :) I think it would be this.... Kirstie's Maine house....

OK maybe three houses. A boho house (which I think I would like in a victorian) and an MCM house and the house above. :)

Fun thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: the maine house

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

I love the layered look best of all (appreciate minimalism as well-- maybe when the kids move out). Some elements are usually just a little too formal for my taste (and budget), but the overall feel is right . . .

This one is my absolute favorite. Busy without being overwhelming. Colorful but not jarring, interesting, cozy, welcoming, elegant.

I could do with fewer pillows, but I bet it would be really relaxing . . .

I like red . . .

I could go on and on . . .

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Boop, I bet you are the most fun at the party.
    Anele, I love that first picture. I imagine Dorothy Parker sitting on that bench, replacing the lady in the picture, with her garter broken.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Tribbix, I want that lake house!!

It's so interesting how different we all are - there are some houses here I love and would love to live in, some that I love but wouldn't want to live in, and some that I absolutely hate!

• nini804
    9 years ago

I am what I would call "pared down" traditional. I adore old southern Georgian homes with very high ceilings and ornate trim work. I love fine antiques, but not too many and not too fussy...nothing Victorian. I would rather see one fine piece of art on a wall that looks bare, than walls filled with nothing special. I just received as a gift " The Welcoming House" an amazing coffee table book by two southern designers Jane Schwab and Cindy Smith. That look is what I strive toward as I slowly try to complete my home decor (but completing it would remove the fun, right?) ;)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

NSM, when I get that house, you may come and visit me in it! ;-)

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I kept this photo for many years as an example of a pretty kitchen:

My real kitchen--- same colors (although light in these is strangely electric looking)

Sjhockeyfan, what a lovely and unexpected compliment, thank you!

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love your spaces KSL

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

NSM, when I get that house, you may come and visit me in it! ;-)

I'm hoping you mean SJHF :-)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Lovin' this thread...so enjoying seeing what everyone else enjoys!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SJHF, it'll be a gathering, with SJHF, NSM, TBRXâ¦anyone else? Bring your BSes (bathing suits) and your DHs. DDs welcome (Dear Dogs, folks). We can watch a movie on the DVD in HD, before getting in the SUV and driving to TGIFs...

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

with indoor plumbing of course:

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Love this...

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

And this...

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/cozy-living-room-traditional-living-room-burlington-phvw-vp~382919)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

My apologies for those of you who are sick of seeing my same old pics, but I thought my library inspiration is apt.

Here is the inspiration for the room.

Here's the actual room.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sue, I have always LOVED that room on Houzz. I posted the kitchen in that house. Its so well done. Bright but cozy at the same time.

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

Annie, what color paint did you use for that room? I am about to paint a room with similar trim and built ins and looking for the perfect neutral golden tan to highlight it. Thanks.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The walls are BM dark beige and the ceiling is BM pearl harbor. I reversed the colors in the foyer, and the ceiling color in the library went on the walls in the dining room. Even though they are the same color, they look completely different due to the light exposure in the room. So much so that our trim carpenter didn't believe me and I gave him the swatch to check...it was the same.

This is pearl harbor on the walls.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Well I can see I have a lot of pinning to do!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Sueb20, that living room reminds me of yours--- I thought it WAS until I remembered that your sofa is green! Or have I lost my marbles and am thinking about somebody else's sofa, lol? Yours has your DH's photography above it, doesn't it?

This post was edited by kswl on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 8:38

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

kswl, then I guess my style is consistent! Yes, mine is the one with the DH photo over the sofa. My sofa color is "mink", which is a taupe-brown color, but I think it sometimes looks green in photos (or purplish, which is weird).

akt, I have that Houzz pic saved as inspiration for my retirement/downsizing next home. I would be very happy to just walk right into that room and call it my own!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I was trying to recall the name, and now I do - I love Windsor Smith. I love how she slips just a bit of light blue, light pink and gold into rooms.

Some will recall this one, which I used extensively for my stone house project:

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

I think this best represents my style. Thought I would be able to go minimialist, but I like too much stuff.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

finallyhome, I like your style - minimal, but not TOO minimal :-)

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I like rustic materials - wood & stone - in their most natural state. My rooms seem to always have a touch of masculinity with dark woods and rich colors.

I live in the TX Hill Country and the area strongly influences me as well.

However, of late, My style is undergoing a bit of an evolution. Still like natural/rustic materials but I'm gravitating towards cleaner, more refined lines and lighter tones.

Rustic contemporary perhaps?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

That's a great inspiration house, magda!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I love this house, but I could just as easily pick completely different ones from this site. escorialdesigns.com It's a bit slow (at least on my old computer) but definitely worth a scroll through.

I don't think I've ever lived in a house that was a real reflection of my 'style', but I love MCM, farmhouse, ultra-modern and many others, too. Maybe my style is schizophrenic!

Here is a link that might be useful: farmhouse

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Here are two homes that reflect a style I love. While our home doesn't look like either of these, I have adopted some of the same things such as a neutral base with color added in accessories, fabrics, rugs, etc., antiques, wood floors, live plants, etc., etc., etc.

My Sweet Savannah:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Sdk9E4jSP7c/UJU8-LvFBOI/AAAAAAAAYK8/gOt6-L5iB64/s640/home+tour+living+room+sofa.jpg

For the love of a house:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jI7daCl1Qho/TX0zBkTMFnI/AAAAAAAADH4/6ZInfztUcVc/s640/IMG_3231.JPG

tina

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

tinam, your pics
    My Sweet Savannah

For the love of a house

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I mentioned before that I told the architect that I wanted a "contemporary traditional tudor-style cape with a touch of Frank Lloyd Wright" and I think we actually came pretty close.

The inspiration from a Clopay ad

The reality:

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Thank you Annie. It has been so long since I've posted any kind of picture - I could not remember how!!

• Patty C
    9 years ago

Annie, I would say you nailed it with your inspiration, but I think the reality is actually much more beautiful than the inspiration. BTW, I am in love with your outdoor shower that you posted on another thread.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mag, those rooms are stunning!

Annie, I would move into the house in the blog for the love of a house without hesitation!. Those were the first two photos I chose and posted. Both of the photos of are their barn room. Such an incredible place with so many nuances and pieces she has collected her entire life from all over the world!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks, peacamp!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

akt, I was confused by your comment at first...but now I get it...it was tinam who selected the pics, I just posted them for her....though I have to admit that NH place is pretty nice.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh! haha I guess tinam and me love the same house!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

So many houses, beautiful houses, all living rent free in my head. I don't see one that I would not love. Thank you all for posting. It's a fun thread.

• theclose
    9 years ago

Great thread! I also wonder about the various styles on GW. Me, I love Miles Redd, Carlton Varney & Dorothy Draper. Love bright colors, cheery spaces, with sophistication and a little playfulness. In my house, sometimes function wins out, but I like to think form wins out more!

Some pics I love:

Varney -

Redd -

• ttodd
    9 years ago

I really think these sum it up for me:

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

PeaCamp, LOVED that beach house. Definately my style. Beachy/Coastal without being too cutesy. Just comfy and relaxing.

• selcier
    9 years ago

OH!!!! I love to share inspiration pictures! Many of these are the inspiration for the rooms in my home.

Living room inspiration (Im planning of stenciling our TV stand with a Chinoiserie pattern)

These two are the inspiration for the master bedroom.

This is the (already posted before) inspiration for the guest bedroom.

And these are just all rooms I absolutely love but am out of room for!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

What a great thread,Aktillery. Will be back to shard mine when on computer. Tablet is great for looking, but not much else.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Magda,

I live in the Texas Hill Country too!!! Where exactly do you live? I am in Canyon Lake.