Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryleb_gw

Is this the dreaded "Dusty Rose"??

cheryleb
10 years ago

I posted a long winded message on my DR plan. A few friends have commented that the colors I selected make them think bad 80s dusty rose. I don't see it but suspect it may be there anyway.

I am adding a pic of the colors. The one I wanted to use is the Rose Stone which is the darkest of the middle colors. The fabric would be used on the DR chair seats. The backs are all wood. The room faces east so the colors are cooled a bit by the light.

I am also adding a link to the original thread. This has me really questioning my decision on color.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0719513820184.html

Comments (25)

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

It doesn't look like dusty rose to me. These look more taupe.

My friend's entire downstairs was done in mauve/dusty rose, including carpets and linoleum in the kitchen. Unfortunately, it was in nearly new condition, so it took her some time to figure out what she wanted. It all looks great now.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I can see how some might think of "dusty rose" but not in a bad way. I like your color choices.

Even if you wanted dusty rose, its not a bad color. It just got over used in my opinion.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

On my monitor it looks more like a muted/gray dark lavendar...I think it's pretty and a bit different for a DR.

• User
    10 years ago

Looks like your dinning room could turn out quite glamorous with those colors. Are you going to add sparkly bits?

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

No dusty rose is much more pink, your colors are taupe. Do you trust your friends' opinions though?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dusty rose first image

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Are you decorating for your friends or for yourself?

To me, color is very personal. I think there are more "rules" when it comes to scale, balance, etc. But color? Nope. Color is more emotional and even ambiguous. Do we "see" color the same, anyway? Think, too, how a small change in lighting makes all the difference.

• happy2b…gw
    10 years ago

Your color choices are beautiful. They are definitely NOT the dusty rose from the 80's. I say this with the conviction of someone who at the moment is typing this with her feet on the dusty rose carpet. My office is begging for a redo. Proceed with your choices. They are very elegant.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

No way... the dusty rose from the 80s was way pinker!

• lizzie_nh
    10 years ago

It really all depends on what you like. I have to admit that to me, on my monitor, those colors and that fabric does remind me of the 80s, even if it's not exactly "dusty rose." But so what? I have some newly-painted walls that are almost the exact same color as the avocado washer and dryer that were in my house growing up (maybe slightly muted.) If my house weren't for sale, I'd probably push colors far more into the '70s range. There's nothing wrong with it if you like it, and if you're not seeing it, and you're the one who best knows how the light looks throughout the day, then I'd guess it's not a "bad" '80s look.

• lizzie_nh
    10 years ago

Also please note that I am someone who simply doesn't like any remotely pink-toned color... it all reminds me of the '80s. So that affects my opinion.

• mic111
    10 years ago

Yes I think it is the dreaded '80s dusty rose. It is a nice color but it hasn't come back yet as the retro colors are still in the '70s. If you put it in it might be really popular again in 10 yrs. On my monitor the right middle color might be less 80s. The left green could be very nice. Best way to pick is buy a sample of each and paint multiple swatches on the walls. Try some on each wall so you see it in different lights.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

THIS is "dusty rose":

Now if you are asking our opinions on the color choices - they are not colors I would choose since I avoid pink undertones as much as possible... but I don't see anything wrong with them if YOU like them!

This post was edited by tinan on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 12:20

• cheryleb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all very much for the advice and comments. I am quite sure I have some leftover Wexford Fog and will pick up some of the Rose Stone and possibly the Elephant Grey (one on the right) and splotch a few walls before I decide. I had intended to add a clear glaze with a slight sheen over the "wallpaper" wall to add depth too and that will impact how it appears.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I have spent years ridding two houses of dusty rose and mauve. While I do see bit of pink undertone, your choice is neither of my dreaded colors. I don't care if it comes back as the color of the year for 10 years straight, I don't think I could ever paint a room dusty rose, but the Rose Stone doesn't evoke a gag response from me or even my my skin crawl. LOL

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The "dusty rose" from the 1980s was more of a dirty pale pink than the colors you show. Yours is greyer, almost the 1930s "Ashes of Roses" color. With that fabric, its sophisticated and subtle.

My cringing at the thought of 1980s dusty rose is provoked more by the memory of overwhelming cutesy country calico prints and ceramic geese with dusty rose bonnet ribbons

Here is a link that might be useful: Cringe-worthy goos with bonnet of dusty rose

• cheryleb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG Lazygardens, that is one of the ugliest ornaments I have seen.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Lazygardens, there is no chance that this Mama Goose will ever compete with Towel Pig!

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Dusty rose is pink, right? with a shade of gray. So it's grayish pink/ This could work for you, but not for me.

We here on garden web, all have our own ideas, so disregard all the ones that do not agree with what you want.

JMHO

Suzi

• mrsmortarmixer
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure I just painted my kitchen close to "dusty rose". I really like it in there with the pinkish brick. I have over a gallon left, so another room is going to get painted that color as well.

• cheryleb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I totally agree that I am decorating for me and not my friends. Having said that, I designed my home for entertaining and want it to be a place that my friends feel comfortable in and doesn't cause an instinctive "icky" reaction.

I had a friend over last night whose taste I trust and had her look at the samples. She thought the color looked very nice with the natural light.

I have pretty much decided to go with what I chose and to heck with it. :) Now to find a painter.

Thank you all so much for the input. You have helped immensely.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

This is "Dusty Rose", 1980's version:

YOURS is almost a lilac, dusty lilac in fact, very similar to the very classy 1930's "Ashes of Roses", gorgeous with other muted, grayed colors:

{{!gwi}}

• mic111
    10 years ago

"I have pretty much decided to go with what I chose and to heck with it. :) Now to find a painter. "

Always the right approach. Do what you love and what looks good with your house. Kudos to you!

• rosie
    10 years ago

Exactly. Even if you paired it with the 80s wishy-washy cheap-dye blue it was typically paired with. :) But, really, that's a lovely scheme, subtle, sophisticated, and won't remind anyone of duck-on-stick decor. (I have trouble remembering my own phone number these days, yet I remember that term...)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

If blue eyes see colors differently than other color eyes, than I' seeing a grayed grape color, no pink-mauve-rose whatsoever.

What color are the DR walls? The ivory design in the fabric would/could lead you to go in that direction. Personally, I think it would look fantastic.

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

I love your color palette. :)