Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

Grr, just a minor vent

akl_vdb
9 years ago

We painted our fireplace mantle yesterday, first coat. I got BM to colour match our cabinets. The fireplace seems way whiter than the cabs (a bit creamy).

So now my options. Call the cab company, see if I can get some paint from them? Just try to colour match myself with an existing BM colour? It doesn't need to be exact, but we are going to carry the colour over to the baseboards, casings, doors, so I want it as close as possible. I also like the creaminess of the cab colour.

I'll try a pic, but I'm sure it won't turn out like I want! It is only one coat too. Maybe it'll darken? Turn more creamy?

Ugh, I don't know! I hate painting! We do have someone coming to paint that back wall behind the fireplace, I think he'll be able to help me.

What to do?

This post was edited by aklvdb on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 21:15

Comments (15)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wow. BM guy needs to have his eyesight checked.

I'd call the cab company first and try to find out what the color is.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

How did he do the matching? By eye or with their scanner or a bit of both? The best color match work is done when they start with the scan and adjust from there but it requires a good eye AND an experienced paint person who understands the way their tints work.

I'd paint a sample board with the match they made - 2 full coats, dry, and bring it and the cabinet door back to the store. And I'd also call the cabinet company but likelihood is they are not basing their colors off of anything standard with a paint company.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dim2000- I think he did it by both? It took him a day to do.

Tibbrix- I know what colour it is per the cab company, now to see if they'll sell me a quart! And I'll probably have to sand this? And repaint. Darn it.

This post was edited by aklvdb on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 21:15

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you know them, kind of, I'd be take the pic in, or even have him come over to your house to see that they don't' match at all..indeed, one looks cool and the other warm, and give him a chance to make good on it with no charge to you.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Did you stir the paint really well from the bottom?

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I shook the heck out of that can!

Anyways, I'll just find another colour. I have BM seashell sample, but it's too yellowy. I'm going to try Deep In Thought from BM next.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I shook the heck out of that can!

Anyways, I'll just find another colour. I have BM seashell sample, but it's too yellowy. I'm going to try Deep In Thought from BM next.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We liked the kitchen cabinet colors so much we got more of the stain from the makers and used it on our woodwork in the dr and lr...maybe they can provide you with the paint, or at least the color.

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

Sometimes if the materials are different ( different species of wood ) the color will not match once painted. DH built our bathroom vanity and used different wood for the doors. So we now have a white vanity with slightly yellow doors. Yikes! All from the same can of paint.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks AnnieDeighnaugh, I called the cab company, it's $120/gallon for the paint. or $37/litre. We're also going to use it on our woodwork.

Lotteryticket- how finicky! what a pain.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Lighting makes a difference. I threw a fit when the cabinetmaker brought my cabinets to be installed. The crown moulding color didn't match the cabinets until he put them side by side instead of the crown on an angle above the door.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think we found a pretty close match. BM old prairie, or french canvas. I think OP is a closer match, FC is a bit brighter. It will also go on our trim etc. Seems to look good with our Revere Pewter and Ashley grey. And Nighttrain.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

I would absolutely paint a second coat before deciding the color is off. There's an area on the bottom right part of the vertical mantel piece (right next to your cabinet sample) that looks quite creamy; it probably has a thicker layer of paint than the rest.

It looks like there's quite a bit of the dark base layer showing through the mantel at present. Until there's no hint of the base color showing through, you can't be sure the color is wrong. Do another coat or two.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

aklvdb, did you ever find a match? I think we might living twin decor lives. Are your cabs from kitchen craft? Palomino? I needed to paint a cab I built to match and remember that french canvas and old prairie were in the running, but can't remember which one I went with. I do remember that the one I initially chose was a perfect match when held against the cabs, but because the wall the new cab was on got more light, I had to go with a slightly darker colour.

If I was home, I'd run down to the basement and check the paint colour, but chances are (unless you're a procrastinator like me) that you are well past this project :)

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha ha lazydaisynot , nope, not done! Our cabs are Kitchen Craft Seashell, so I think a bit whiter than the Palomino.

I do feel like I'm so slow! But since this we had new hardwoods, new tile in the foyer and hearth of the fp, put new carpet in the 2 small bedrooms, and the kitchen is still slowly being completed by the insurance company restoration people (it's been over a year) so we are making progress!

I did buy Old Prairie and have it in the basement in the Advance BM, but I think it might be too grey for doing all the trim and fireplace (so I haven't done it yet!). I think I might go White Dove, even if it's not a perfect match, I think it'll be close. As all my interior doors and baseboards/casings will be that colour, and I want it beautiful.

I do need to do some paint swatches though to see!

Thanks!