Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctychick_gw

Anyone ever order from American Iron Bed Co.?

ctychick
14 years ago

www.americanironbeds.com

They have a great selection and very reasonable prices. Can anyone share their experiences - good or bad - with this company? Also, please share any other good online resources for iron beds. I'm looking for a young girl's room. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I gave you the benefit of the doubt on your other ONLY post titled "Has anyone ordered from (name of company.com)" but your post sounds like spam or someone trying to sneak in a consumer survey.

How about if you show us pictures of the room you are trying to decorate and tell us what you want to do with it, maybe even show some inspiration pics.

Somehow the "great selection and reasonable prices" mantra in both the posts is grating. If I am wrong I am sorry but there are so many spammers trying to ruin the board.

Please join in with your decorating ideas for the room.

• awm03
    14 years ago

I'm interested in hearing from people with buying experience from AIBC too, ctychick. Haven't bought from them yet, but have spent time perusing their web site.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

I spent ages looking for an iron bed for my bedroom, and almost bought from them, as I agree, they have a great selection and they often have sales and/or free shipping. Their beds are all made in the USA, which I liked.

During my search, I spoke to their customer service staff twice, asking questions. I told the woman, who was very knowledgeable about their beds and who took all the time she needed to answer my questions how impressed I was with that.

I hoped to be able to see some of their many samples in person before I bought a bed, but you have to order the bed in the style you choose, and then they will send finish samples for you to decide from. It makes sense, as they make the beds in your choice of finish.

I ended up buying a bed on Craigslist, but if I ever think of ordering an iron bed in the future, it'll be from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: See their many styles and price ranges here

• sweetpea29
    14 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a long-time lurker and have been looking for an opportunity to jump in and this thread is right up my alley. I ordered a bed from AIB a few months ago and had a great experience. Their prices were very reasonable (with free shipping) and the customer service was great. We went with one of the standard finishes--firebrick red, I think was the name--without seeing it first and I was very pleased when it arrived. One thing to note, the bed I bought was made by Wesley Allen, so you can look at their website for more specific information about the beds.

And, just to be safe, I have no affiliation with AIB or Wesley Allen. I just thought I could be helpful with my two cents!

Looking forward to participating in more threads!
    Melinda

• ctychick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! Great to know about the metal samples. I'll definitely post my experience when if/when I move ahead with them. I'm waiting for my daughter's bedding arrive before I take the next step.

As for spam... No. I'm not spamming. I'm sorry that a simple, straightforward and honest question aroused such suspicion. I have two very young children and not much time to luxuriate on home decor boards, posting pictures, elaborating on color schemes, etc. Wish I did, but that will hopefully come when my children are older. For now, when I have a question, I ask it. If I can answer a question here or there, I'll do that too. I'm guessing that you haven't had an experience one way or other with this bed company and wonder why you even clicked on this thread. But thanks for your contribution anyway.

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

I ordered my son's bed (a Wesley Allen) from them a few years ago and it's both well-made and attractive. The service and delivery were good, and having the bed customized to allow space for a trundle was not a problem at all. I do wish that I had asked for sample finishes to be sent prior to ordering, because the black iron finish that I ordered had a lot of silver in it and I prefer warmer tones. Also, it was a standard powder coat finish and very evenly applied, so my one regret is that the bed doesn't really look like a banged up, old antique, but most people would probably prefer that!

With that being said, I think their real antique beds are a bit expensive, and since I wanted an antique iron bed for my daughter, I ended up ordering hers from Loading Dock Antiques, which IMO has antique beds more reasonably priced than either AIB or Cat House. Plus, it's a Mom and Pop type shop and they did a wonderful job refinishing the bed in a distressed, chippy finish and sending me emails and photos during the process. I can see reselling the Wesley Allen if my son doesn't want to keep it after he leaves the nest, but my daughter's bed will definitely be staying or passed down.

I just ordered another iron bed (my third in two years!) for my guest room and again wanted an antique rather than a reproduction. However, since it's hard to find an antique daybed in a true twin size that works with a trundle, I ordered the iron and brass daybed from Charles P. Rogers, in the antique iron finish. A bit more expensive, but they use solid forged iron, pure brass, hand poured castings and hand applied finishes. I'm hoping the end result is a new bed that looks like and has the quality of an antique. We'll see in a month or so after it's delivered.

So, that's my unsolicited review for 3 different iron bed companies! Have fun choosing one for your daughter - I just love iron beds for little girls (and big girls, but I'm stuck with my husband's choice of Mission oak).

Daughter's antique iron bed

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Daybed

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Another thumbs up for Wesley Allen. They are made in the USA and their plant is CA is very "green." The bed I bought for DD is solid as a rock. Bought mine through a local furniture store for just a tiny bit more than I would have paid online. Wanted to support bricks&mortar and have a back-up if anything went wrong...which it didn't.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I knew I skipped this for a reason. Frankly iVillage can afford to pay a moderator. For all we know, some people might be paid to post spam.

• dzoolie
    7 years ago

Their delivery service Sun couldn't deliver the bed as promised because the driver had a heart attack. Ok. I had arranged for my mom to wait for them but of course I understood. Then they called tonight to say they're running A DAY behind. Maybe the following night maybe the next morning. I called the bed company to complain. The lady on the phone is super condescending. I understand the guy had a heart attack but I paid for special delivery and I expect to be better informed and to not have to ask someone to wait around ANOTHER day. I asked for my delivery to be refunded and she says, "Well we're not gonna do THAT! Why not? Why am I to suffer the brunt of the misfortune? It's their delivery service. I'm the customer. Where is the loyalty and why is she speaking down to me? I've been waiting weeks for this bed!!! I'm angry and hope this review hurts them.

• HU-136737574
    3 years ago

There’s no Yelp page (which should be a huge warning for people) so I’m leaving a review here because it’s the first non-business page that comes up on Google. Stay away from this company! I spent 3 grand on a custom order bed that took four months to ship and it looks like garbage. No refunds are offered. The details are so sloppy they look like a child‘s camp clay project. One of the bars has a huge dent in it and instead of straightening it out they just painted over it. Also paid over $200 for white glove service but the delivery person just left it in boxes on my front porch for me to construct myself (I did get a refund for this thankfully).

I’ve never felt more scammed in my life.

• Lauren Ross
    3 years ago

Do you not order from American Iron Bed. In all my years of design, I've never been treated so rudely or had such poor quality. The finish is awful, not to mention it took 5 months to receive. Very disappointed customer.

• HU-851381045
    2 years ago

It’s been a while since our bed was delivered, but I had to jump in here with a review. We ordered our bed September 2020 selecting the finish ( aged steel) from the website after speaking to a sales rep who told us it was a very popular. The bed that was delivered wa not the finish we selected. First we called and was told it would be difficult to ship back and it would take almost year to get another bed. We emailed a number of pictures of the bed finish to show the discrepency in the color. Jeff, the AIB rep, wrote back that he didn’t see a problem here and ended with this statement. ” Though limited, I may have enough brain cells left to be brought up to speed.” In my opinion, a bit snarky and dealing with him would be fruitless. So, my advice would be to purchase from a different source.

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

I appreciate the reviews and warnings from others. I will buy locally after reading this. Life is stressful as it is so I do not need more stress in my life.