Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

Trash these window valances!

karyn
10 years ago

One of the easy (and hopefully affordable) things I can do to freshen up these two rooms is to get rid of the bulky window valances. The one in the dining room is 8' wide only hides a curtain rod holding a sheer so it is of less concern - however the one in the family room hides the top rail of an 18 foot wide set of vertical blinds. I'm terrified that if I take the valance down it will look horrendous. Whatever small modesty panel valance that might have come with original set of blinds is gone decades ago - along with the original owner of this house's mind.

Things to consider.

1. I hate vertical blinds, but see no alternative on an 18' wide wall of windows.

2. This entire 18' wall of windows, slides completely open (pocket door style - no fixed panels) to adjoin a massive covered lanai and screened in pool area.

3. The house does not back up to other houses - it is on a golf course - set back 60+ yards from a green. Lots of privacy and highly unlikely the vertical blinds will ever be closed - the lanai is so deep and in shadows in daylight you just cannot possibly see inside the house unless you are out on the golf course in the dark and the lights are all on in the house. The back of the house also faces North - no direct sun - always in shade. It's in Florida.

All this said - I can't help but feel almost obligated to leave the blinds or do some other kind of window covering for that big wall - but am also struggling with the "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" mentality - and limited budget. Being such a massive wall of glass, it's also very hard to visualize any type of covering other than what's already there.

Suggestions anyone? (When we rework the house we are going for British/Island Colonial style...)

Disclaimer - this is not my stuff in the house - we are in escrow...

Comments (20)

• User
    10 years ago

I like the first option you posted. I have no idea about a rod that long. I had to make my drapes for cost reasons too. They were not that hard. I used grommets at the top fairly easy to use. If you can get reasonable priced material. It should be fairly straight forward if you know how to run a sewing maching. Straight lines only and a bit of ironing. I found some awesome 108" wide material at 5$ per yard so only had to sew 2 panels for my window. Good luck.

• deegw
    10 years ago

Honestly, I would take them down and go without until you have the budget to do something lovely. It might look bare but it won't look dated and unbalanced. I'd rather have bare than dated.

I think the tall panels will look terrific.

This post was edited by deee on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 7:51

• randita
    10 years ago

I like the first option you posted as well. Grommets are more modern looking and might not fit the style you are going for.

Blinds.com offers custom width drapery hardware, so you could get the exact width you need.

Custom Wrought Iron 1" Drapery Hardware

• User
    10 years ago

I would take down what you have and wait for a permanent solution. When we lived full time in Florida our house also was on a golf course. We had exactly the sort of expansive bank of sliders you have that pocket back on the outside wall so the area is completely open. Our solution was to hang sliding panels of plantation shutters from ceiling tracks (inside, of course) that allowed the shutter panels to slide past each other and stack out of the way inside. The shutters were approximately the same size as a door and were not attached at all at the bottom.

It was a very expensive solution, but it was easy to operate, functioned exactly as we wanted and for you, nothing could look more British Colonial.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

You could reupholster the 18 foot wide valance with a fabric that matches the wall color.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

For the time being you could just paint the one hiding the vertical blind track the wall color to make it blend in if you need the blinds for light control at certain times of day.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I agree to take it down and live with it and see what's what. As you don't need to cover the sliders, you can always use short rods or tie backs to hold full length dummy panels on either side that don't actually function.

You can always change the treatment on the existing valance or use the hardware to create a new one if you decide you need it.

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by Greer Home Builders Gabriel Builders Inc.

[Eclectic Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2104) by Charlotte Media and Bloggers Two Story Cottage

An alternative to vertical blinds that I think is attractive are the Hunter Douglas Luminettes.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Any way you could use ceiling tracks (with or without molding), a wire system, or maybe sliding panels?

{{!gwi}}

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

It looks like you have space at the top to do roller blinds of some kind - perhaps a bamboo type if that matches the Island style you have in mind. By retracting to the top of the window the blinds would not interfere with use of the doors when up. You can get them motorized, I bought motorized blinds for a loft condo (9' wide and total 18' tall of windows broken into 2) at stevesblindsandwallpaper.com for very good prices.

Or, go for sheer curtains on a rod at the ceiling - you can find rods that long, I have an 16' wall of windows and found a rod for it, it does need middle support. I think I bought it at BB&B. Sheers don't take up much stacking space so you would not have much fabric in the way when open. We leave the sheers in our living room open as decoration only.

I linked an example below on overstock adjustable to 240" meant for patio doors.

Here is a link that might be useful: 240

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Here are directions for a really inexpensive long drapery rod. I love the first pic you posted and this would work for that. Now, just find a source for affordable draperies or a way to make them. You could buy shorter ones (maybe on clearance) and add a panel of fabric to the bottom to make them the correct length. Not much sewing talent needed and probably not too expensive to have a seamstress add the bottom panel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Conduit drapery rod

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

I like the first option you showed. Some people on this forum have used painter's drop cloth to make curtains. I just did a quick search and it looks like the standard is 9'x12'. The color and quality varies with the brand.

Here is a link that might be useful: drop cloth curtains

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I`d just do naked windows. If you don`t need WT for light control or privacy, why bother? You could always put some fantastic potted palms on either side if you feel you must break up the glass view.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The cheap way out for a while - if you need privacy or sun control - is to paint the valance the same color as the walls.

Definitely look into ceiling mount systems

I think it would look good with full-height panels that don't need to move and a sheer in the middle that can be pulled out of the way of the door.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

IKEA curtains are 98" long, their panels curtains 118".

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

I didn't have time to look it up before, but here's a link to the drop cloth curtains made by forum members in case you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: forum members' curtains

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

I would trash them immediately! And I would leave the whole shebang undressed, those are awesome windows!

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow - thanks everyone for some great ideas!

Funny that painted conduit with finials and painter's drop canvas can actually substitute and look so good. One would have to find them completely seamless however - (some say Home Deport sells them this way) There's so many ideas to consider here.

The issue with the old valances are - dated, tacky, giant/bulky, obtrusive, poorly executed - so trying to salvage them somehow just seems to be a waste of time and work IMHO, though some people may love them...

I think pulling those down and live with it to see how we use the blinds - will be key. I suspect we will never close them - day or night. If that's the case then all we'll want to do is take them down and dress it up with dummy panels on each side for a nice finished look. That would also save a lot of money.

I too, really liked the look of the curtains that go all the way up to the ceiling (1st idea I posted). while you maybe can't tell from the photos, these rooms have high ceilings. Due to the height, custom panels made may be the most economical option. Glue gun, no-sew iron-on hem adhesive, or sewing machine maybe...

Canvas material would go well for the panel's look, as would anything like jute, sisal, bamboo - really any sort of airy/earthy "texture" category fabrics. Washable would be amazing! The white tile and red carpets are coming out. In place - dark wood floors, and a tan berber/sisal carpet area in the family room area...

This post was edited by karyn on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 4:59

• amykath
    10 years ago

karyn, your last post is dead on. I would remove and do the dummy panels which will hide the verticals when pushed to the side.

So excited you are doing the dark wood. It is going to look fab!!!!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I live with "dummy panels" and love the splash of color it brings my rooms. I would agree removing them, since you seem adamant you won't use them in anyway, is the way to go. Right now they are distracting. When gone you may find you are more able to focus on what you do want.