Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol017_gw

Help! How to deal with an unfortunate paint color

carol017
11 years ago

For some unknowable reason, my landlord decided to paint my bedroom yellow right before I took over the lease. Re-painting isn't an option. It isn't that I absolutely hate the color, it's just that my style preference tends to be modern and bold as opposed to dainty. I was intending to go with a neutral and black theme, with some accent colors. This yellow wall situation is really throwing me off though. Anyone have ideas on how I can work with the wall color (and my lovely but not-modern-looking bedside table) to create a contemporary look that isn't too girly? I'm wondering especially about colors for bedding. I'm a women in my early 20s. TIA!!

Comments (31)

• carol017
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Right now I'm considering this bedding set: (see below)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mclarke
    11 years ago

Here is your possible bedding set, just so everyone can see it --

• User
    11 years ago

I think both of the above are too harsh and a bit masculine. West elm has a lot of bedding that would go nicely with the yellow, is modern, and not too overbearing.

Here is a link that might be useful: west elm bedding

• User
    11 years ago

It seems sort of unreasonable that they would paint the room such a bold color right before you moved in. If it were me, I'd offer to repaint the room a soft white of their choosing (and even possibly at your own expense depending on how much you care about loosing 25.00 for a can of paint) but I would insist the color be changed; especially if it was originally a more neutral color when you decided to rent.

• amykath
    11 years ago

I think sticking with beige, White and darker gray would look great in the room. I really think it looks nice and warm.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I agree with luk. On the plus side, there are many landlords that would let you move into a dirty apartment, as is so at least this one cares about his proerty!
    Repainting a soft white would not be difficult as all the prep has been done and it is just a matter of a coat of paint.
    I love yellow rooms. I say if you go with a light gray, charcoal gray, white and yellow theme it would look fab.

• User
    11 years ago

Here is another set that might work it is on sale until tomorrow at this website http://www.kinglinen.com/peony-q.html

• Alittleapple
    11 years ago

The wall looks much dull and monotonous, you may choose some wall sticker or decorate with some table lapms with smart shapes.The bedding may also be colorful.

• mclarke
    11 years ago

A bold choice in art will make the wall color look intentional. Here's just one... What would be a good subject matter for you? Landscapes? Florals? Abstract?

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: print

• gmp3
    11 years ago

I like the wall color, it is very warm and inviting.

How about this Urban Outfitters comforter? You could paint the nightstand glossy gray and upholster a simple rectangular headboard in gray to match the comforter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikat comforter

• annzgw
    11 years ago

I really like the options you've been given on bedding. As for painting it, I can see where it would be a job to tackle. It's going to take 2+ cans of paint to cover it since it looks like a large room with high ceilings. Then you'd have to buy another can of paint with higher gloss to paint all the trim/baseboards and window frames.

So, as Annie said earlier, embrace it. The bedding you're considering would work if you buy pillows or a throw that pick up the yellow color. What Annie suggested works well because it already brings in the yellow without you buying more pillows.
    Hanging some neutral color panels on each side of the windows will do a lot in softening the color.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Gray, black and yellow is really a great color combo. I would definitely embrace it.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I wonder why they painted the trim the same (or similar?) color. I think the paint would be more successful with a nice contrasting white trim. I wonder if you could ask to re-paint the trim in white? (Or not if that sounds like too much work.)

I agree that you can still go with modern fabrics and colors. I love gray and yellow combinations. And I too love gray and black so I would probably throw in gray, black, and white into the mix. I actually have a very bold black and white print duvet cover from Anthropologie and I love the bold contrast it adds to my room.

Here are some bedding ideas.

Are you interesting in replacing your non-modern side table? CB2 has some very cool very modern side tables that aren't horribly expensive.

• mjlb
    11 years ago

Whenever I think of a yellow/gray combination, I go to this photo:

Here is a link that might be useful: inspiration

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I searched Google images for "yellow and gray decor" and there are tons of contemporary images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow and Gray decor

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I'm sorry you don't like the color, but, do you happen to know what it is?! I love it and am considering painting a bedroom that color although the trim will be white.
    I like that West Elm bedding best, btw.

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Bumble - It looks a whole lot like BM Desert Tan which is in my kitchen.

It's a lot more yellow than it looks on the swatch. I love it.

• juddgirl2
    11 years ago

I really like the West Elm bedding with the yellow walls.

• carol017
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much for the ideas!! I think I can definitely embrace the yellow, and i am warming up to the more-feminine looks as well :) I probably will not bother repainting, as I might just be here for a year.

Annie- where is that set from? It's great.

athomeinva- I absolutely adore that Westelm set. If only the "tree top" quilt and pillows were available! I'll look around using that as inspiration.

mclarke- i like birds! i also love art with people or abstract designs.

prickly- exactly...it was a terrible choice to paint the window trim yellow too.

Bumble- I will try to find out what the color is :)

i am off to scour the web for light grey, dark grey, white and yellow pieces!

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I kind of like the yellow, even the trim (and I'm a white trim fan); in this context it seems warm and charming...but not at all modern, so I'm sorry! I'm surprised the room was repainted without consulting you, too.

Since you'll likely be there a short time, I think I'd almost ignore the yellow. Ideally, you'll find bedding you love that can work well with it, but I wouldn't actually include yellow as a bedding color if you don't love it. Stick to something gray or black that will work with your style in your next abode...which probably won't have yellow walls! If you want to embrace the yellow, do it in small touches with inexpensive accessories that are easily replaced later, or hold out for artwork you can truly love, even if your next apartment has white walls!

• LazySuzy
    11 years ago

I really like the bedding set recommended by Mclark.The ones recommended by pricklypeacactus are also nice. However, I don't know how it will complement your yellow walls. I have lived with yellow walls for 5 yrs of my life... it's not a nice feeling (I am not a warm color person and my style preference is just like yours, modern and bold) so I feel you. Perhaps you could hang paintings and stuff on the walls to sort of diffuse the strength of the yellow?

• carol017
    Original Author
    11 years ago

good thinking, jessica. i'll keep the yellow out of the duvet at least.

i'm feeling MUCH better about the room now that i have a nice color scheme in mind. i'm now on a quest to find great bedding, possibly to imitate this lovely West Elm look (below).

anyone have more tips on where to find great bedding?

• les917
    11 years ago

I agree with Jessica - I would stay away from yellow in the bedding.

I would do the black, grey and white that you intended. Keep the drapery clean and simple in style, perhaps best in the same white that is in whatever bedding you choose.

I assume the head of the bed will be on the larger wall to the left, not the one on the right as it is in your pix.

Since you don't seem to have a headboard, I would try to come up with something to represent one. I have always thought it would be fun to use those inexpensive door mirrors, hang them horizontally, in a stack of perhaps three with just a couple of inches between each one. You can get those for less than $20 each at places like Target. Get ones framed in black, in keeping with your color palette. Something like this:

black framed mirror

Or use a couple of old doors of some kind for a vertical headboard, or hang one sideways for a horizontal headboard.

By the time you add some kind of headboard, hang drapery, and add some art and lamps, a lot of the wall color will disappear.

• geokid
    11 years ago

Target has a Global Geo line that you could use to mix in with some West Elm linens.

Or there's always good ol' Ikea!

Here is a link that might be useful: Global Geo

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I just picked the picture as an example of how you could use the yellow in the bedding as part of a scheme that works with the wall color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Onani by Ashley Bedding

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I have always liked the designs at crate and barrel for a modern look.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention urban outfitters and CB2. I just found about 5 I want at urban outfitters. Too bad I have no more bedrooms to do!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    11 years ago

Hey!! ( I feel like shouting!). Blue! As in Chinese ginger jar blue. It will cool down, add serenity and wake it up at the same time. Red or green as accents! And a bit of black. Large conteporary poster over bed. I had that Ethan allen((circa '70's) chest! It was offered in white back then, which is more of a cottage feel, so not sure it's worth painting for now. I d cover the top and sides with bold scarf or runner (glass top over if you want to bother) and modern lamp that suits you. Add a whie shag rug( perhaps a fluffy what's-it's-name( first letter is F) , because you are young. Painting the trim white would be worthwhile, IMO.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    11 years ago

You also might try placing your bed catty- cornered, filling on the space behind with a folding screen.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Try IKEA for bedding.