Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixkeys

Should I extend this soffit? What looks best?

sixkeys
9 years ago

I need to decide what to do with the soffit in my kitchen. I am wondering what would look better - two small soffits or longer ones. Here is what it currently looks like (in-process) with the small ones:

It would end up looking *somewhat* like this (I used IKEA software to simulate, and this is very rough. In real life, the windows are higher, hood is much wider, cabinets are bigger...etc).

Or, I can extend the soffit to the right and left, and make it more continuous. Somewhat like this:

For where we are in construction, these are really my only two options. Which one would look better? Thank you!

Comments (24)

• ohgoodness
    9 years ago

I prefer the two smaller ones. While I was reading your post, I was thinking one soffit, but after seeing the drawings really like the two!

• caminnc
    9 years ago

I like one!!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Extend it...definitely.

• persnicketydesign
    9 years ago

Another vote for extending the soffit.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

Since there is one down the left hand wall, I say to continue it along the back wall.

• mellyc123
    9 years ago

If you show the windows in the drawings I think it will look really different.

I would say the small ones only because of the windows.

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

Are the soffits functional? Meaning, are they hiding plumbing/electrical/HVAC that can't be rerouted elsewhere? If not, have you considered eliminating them entirely? It will mean you can use taller cabinets. But you may be far enough along that you can't switch the cabinet order.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If you need the one to the left, I would consider two options:

The one to the left is "contained" by the wall with the slider on it, so, you could have No soffits above the freestanding cabinets and range hood, because the one to the left makes a sort of architectural sense by itself.

You could continue the soffit around to the other corner which also makes a sort of architectural sense, but I would probably make it equal in depth to the one of the left and have the range hood die into it as well. It would create a half tray ceiling in a way, and reference the L-shape of the lower cabinets.

I don't think either the individual soffits over each cabinet , or the continual soffit broken for the range chimney to go to the ceiling make architectural sense. I think it has to be all or nothing. (Nothing including if you must keep it to the left, but nothing on the range wall at all).

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd put cabinets over the windows which open from the bottom up, for more storage and also to make the two cabinets on that wall not look so "hanging there".

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I would recommend eliminating all the soffits if possible.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Very interesting to read your opinions. I cannot eliminate the soffit on the left side of the picture, there is a beam inside of it that can't be moved. I wanted to try and tie one side to the other, so I figured some type of soffit would make sense. I played with the idea of no soffit, and I was afraid that the cabinets just stuck on the wall with space above might look random.

I also though about making one continuous soffit on the wall in question, but I wasn't sure if it would make the chimney hood look stubby. That's why I narrowed it down to two small soffits or two medium ones that go the length of the room.

• teacats
    9 years ago

No soffit nor top cabinets at all -- on the range wall.

Instead -- add long thick shelves on each side of the range hood ....

• teacats
    9 years ago

Here's some inspiration photos on a pin board from Pinterest ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- pins of kitchen shelves

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I prefer extending the soffit all along the back wall including where the hood goes. It looks intentional and I like the tray effect ceiling mentioned by Palimpsest. I think the hood would look great below the soffit.
    You have a soffit above windows on the left, why not on the back wall? I think the soffit will help you focus your eyes more on the what's below the soffit instead of saying "here is an unusual soffit on the back wall."

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love the look of open shelving, but it isn't practical for my family.

I am going to mock up an option (with accurate elevations) with a full soffit to see what that looks like. I'll share when I get a chance, but it probably won't be until much later tonight.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What Pal said, with my preference for crating a tray ceiling effect. The two single soffits look like teeth hanging there. That's probably why I'm having a hard time finding pictures with soffits that don't extend above the window.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like Teacats's idea of heavy shelving.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

An option. Taller cabinets.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

So far I like Beverly's rendering the best, but I would add a small upper cabinet run either all across the wall where you were considering the soffit, or at least add one over the cabinets and windows.

If you don't want to pay to take out the soffits you just had built, you could face them with dummy cabinet panels and add real cabinets over the windows.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, after dealing with another problem this past week, now I am down to the wire on this decision. I need to tell them Monday morning what to do!

To recap, the soffit over the sink on the left side is required since it is hiding a beam. I cannot change the cabinets at this point. Just trying to make the range wall look better. While I love the look of open shelving, it is not practical for us.

So, my options are:

Mini soffits
    Medium soffits that extend to each side
    One long one
    No Soffits on the range wall

Here is the space:

Mini Soffit example:

Medium soffits:

One soffit:

What does everyone think? Thank you!!!

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

Teacats suggested open shelving as an option, yet I would personally be opposed to this for areas around the range. Other walls, perhaps, but not around the range where you are most apt to have grease and film that would get on your items on the open shelving.

I love the look of open shelving to display pretty glassware/china or decorative pieces, however, this just isnâÂÂt the place for that. I think IâÂÂd go for the mini-soffits, so the area around the windows would be clear.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

Teacats suggested open shelving as an option, yet I would personally be opposed to this for areas around the range. Other walls, perhaps, but not around the range where you are most apt to have grease and film that would get on your items on the open shelving.

I love the look of open shelving to display pretty glassware/china or decorative pieces, however, this just isnâÂÂt the place for that. I think IâÂÂd go for the mini-soffits, so the area around the windows would be clear.

• teacats
    9 years ago

A vote for the medium soffit option ....

.... interesting thought about the open shelving option ....

..... and just for discussion -- check out designer Lauren Liess' own kitchen -- plus there is a link somewhere to an older posting where she talks about the pros and cons (for her family) of open shelving .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Lauren Liess -- Kitchen Open shelving

• theclose
    9 years ago

I would either do one long, continuous soffit or, if you can eliminate the upper cabinets on the wall, no soffit at all. My preference is no upper cabinets/no soffit. I like the cleaner look of no upper cabinets.