Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Trim color to go with blue green walls

jockewing
14 years ago

I am just about decided to paint my MB in SW's Quietude. Can someone recommend the right way to go in regards to trim color? I have used BM's White Dove in other parts of the house, but I'm not sure how well that relatively stark white goes with the blue green. Should I go with something warmer? Would a "warmer" white blance off the coolness of the wall color?

Comments (15)

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Yes a warmer white goes beautifully with an aquamarine or tortoise color unless of course your linens are stark white. And even then it would work.

I just love that aquamarine or tortoise color so much. I love it on the wall, on the neck, around the wrist, on my feet on my finger. It happens to be my birth stone and no I am not drunk just tired and waiting for my P.M. to kick in. (lol)

Check out this necklace below. Sorry to highjack your thread Jockewing.

{{!gwi}}

• amysrq
    14 years ago

I'd stick with the White Dove. It's not that stark (IMO) and it will just make life easier. Do you have any WD lying around the house to play with?

Just pulled my fandecks and I like them together. But, I personally like bright white trim. If you like the WD elsewhere, chances are you'll be happy with it alongside the Quietude. My Mom used that color in her last house, btw. Very pretty. And, glad to hear you're nearing the end of your quest!

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

There are so many great color experts on here that I am confident you will get a good answer Jockewing.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

I'm no color expert, but when I painted my tiny front entry BM's Wythe Blue last year, I stuck with my very old SW color called Jordan Almond. It's a warm off white that I have used through out the house. My house is an old Cape, and I prefer the off-white here rather than a true white.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My3 -- can you tell me a similar color to Jordan Almond in the current SW or BM deck? I have one of the old SW Color Answers deck from the 90's and I don't see the color in there.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My3 -- can you tell me a similar color to Jordan Almond in the current SW or BM deck? I have one of the old SW Color Answers deck from the 90's and I don't see the color in there.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Come on guys! I know one of you must know the "rules" concerning the right white to go with a blue/green. Should I use a warmer white to counteract the coolnees of the wall color? I'm concerned that a cool white paired with a cool wall color may be too stark and uninviting.

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

I didn't know there was a "rule" for picking the right white.

But, I think I'd stick with the same trim color throughout the house. Otherwise, if you go with a warmer white in some room and a cooler white in others, it may make the warmer whites look yellow.

I've seen a true white with those colors and it's very crisp and pretty. On the other hand, I think My3dogs cream trim with the same color looks nice too.

You should pick a white that you like and one that goes with the rest of your house.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

jockewing, I can get the SW formula for you of my paint later this evening, if you'd like it. I'm working on a project deadline for work and can't get to it til later.

• mclarke
    14 years ago

Come on guys! I know one of you must know the "rules" concerning the right white to go with a blue/green.

LOL, if there was a rule, someone here would tell you!

Unfortunately (or fortunately), there is no rule. It depends on what you like, and what else is in the room.

Personally, I'm a big fan of pure white trim. I love the clean, crisp "snap" of ANY color against pure white.

Part of this might be my own laziness. Once you get into the "off-whites", there is so much more to consider. Is it cool? Is it warm? Does it go with whatever else is in the room? What is the decorating style of the room? What is on the floor? What kind of bed do you have? What color are the linens? What color are the window treatments? Is there a rug? Artwork? What is the trim color in the adjacent rooms?

All these things must be considered.

Unless you're like me, in which case you reach for the "Ultra White" and have done with it, LOL...

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Of course, there's a rule, you silly people.

• rockmanor
    14 years ago

I'd stay with the same pure white throughout the house. We had a similar blue green color in a prior home and I loved it with the white trim - so crisp and fresh. Plus, it will make touch ups easier in the future. Our builder used three wall colors and two trim colors that are almost-but-not-quite the same, and it's a royal pain when we have to touch up a spot.

• mclarke
    14 years ago

"Of course, there's a rule, you silly people."

... and you're keeping it to yourself? You are such a tease.>

• redbazel
    14 years ago

I have three different whites in my house. And the worst of it is, I can't remember which is which. If I re-do my trim, I am doing one basic white everywhere, regardless of other stuff. That's my plan.

Red

• shugro
    13 years ago

Ok experts! Here's my questions - I would be forever grateful for some help here! I am painting my nursery BM's Wythe Blue. A. can i do true white trim? furniture will be white and flokati rug and canvas storage bins will be "natural" - the rest of my house is trimmed in white so i want to stay consistent. i love the color pop. B. can anyone recommend a nice dove grey to paint the hallway leading into the nursery? also going with white trim and white linen closet, etc...

Thank you!