Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raddad_gw

Mirrored sliding closet doors

raddad
9 years ago

Our house was last remodeled in the early 80's and we are at the tail end of a remodel that's brought it into 2014. Unfortunately we won't even get to enjoy it since we're relocating!

Anyway, the house had mirrored sliding closet doors with lovely gold trim. I got rid of those since they were kind of shot anyway but am not sure what to replace them with.

Since we're selling the house, I want to pick something that most people would like. I'm also considering whether mirrored closet doors will make our average sized bedrooms look larger.

Should I replace with:

1. Mirrored closet doors with chrome trim
2. Mirrored closet doors with white trim (trim in our house is white, walls are light grey).
3. Solid closet doors to match trim (white)
4. Solid closet doors to match walls (grey)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (23)

• chispa
    9 years ago

Can't go wrong with #3

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

3 for me too!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I personally would like to have mirrored doors like these, but since some people hate mirrored doors, I'd just go with the safest bet: no. 3.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY mirrored doors

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I added solid doors and like them so much better than mirrors. They also make the closet bigger or feels that way. If going standard doors, they are a special order due to size. Closet openings are not standard. But in stock doors can easily be cut down with a table saw. And very easy to install.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Solid matching trim.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Hard to say. How many sliding doors are there? Are there only two, or is it a long wall of sliders?

Are we talking one bedroom, or ALL the bedrooms?

Is it an upscale house? A modest house? Or...?

At one point I lived in a rental with mirrored sliding doors. I disliked them. There was nowhere to hide. I didn't like watching myself go to sleep or wake up or get dressed or... whatever else one does in a bedroom (ahem).

I don't think it would be a dealbreaker, but I can't imagine anyone saying, "Oh what a fabulous house! I wasn't going to buy it but those amazing closet doors!"

Ultimately, my vote would be no. Go with neutral panel sliders.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the height of the doors. If they are 7 ft or less, then it's easy to do any of your options, but if they are 8ft, it becomes much harder to get away from the mirrors without going custom.

I have a bedroom with 8ft ceilings that has floor to ceiling mirrored doors on the closet that runs the length of one wall, and if you go to someplace like HD or Lowes, all they will have in that size is more mirrored doors.

So some options are to go to a local millwork place or somewhere like slidingdoorco.com, or even to replace with more mirrors and get something like the options from myoverlays.com.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Mirrored doors aren't popular, but they are practical. Most people want a full length mirror when getting dressed and some rooms just aren't big enough for a stand alone mirror.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I hate mirrored doors. I really don't want to see myself all the time I am in my bedroom. I vote for #3.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

That's an interesting idea, nosoccermom, and those would look great, but personally I'm kind of afraid of pax anymore after all the threads over at ikeafans about people finding their wardrobes start to stink unbearably after a couple of years. It could be the boxes and not the doors, of course, but I'm leery of anything pax anymore.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I have mirrored closet doors in my guest room and I like them but in my Master Bedroom I do not. Mine have no border and are pretty. I think for resale, go with the sold wood doors painted white.

• raddad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for all the great feedback!

I personally dislike mirrored doors as well and will probably go with #3 since at least some percentage of buyers feel like I do.

It would be all the closets in all the bedrooms. They are 8 ft so I will have to look around. Thank you for the link on the ikea doors, they just might work!

• peegee
    9 years ago

Another vote for 3. BTW, Writersblock, what is "pax?"

• amicus
    9 years ago

I guess I'm the lone one who would choose to have mirrored doors. Our closet is mirrored, but it's situated on one end, so I don't 'see myself' constantly, unless I choose to stand in front of them to see how my outfit looks. A neighbour 4 doors down who has the same model house as ours had a Bar-B-Q and invited the guests to see their recent renovations to the upstairs bathrooms.

DH and I couldn't help noticing that our identical size and layout master bedroom looks twice the size and appears twice as bright, simply due to one wall of mirrored closets.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Pickyshopper, if I had my closets in the far end of the bedroom, I prefer the mirrored closets and that is why they are in the spare bedroom to go in there to see myself.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Writersblock, what is "pax?"

That is ikea's main large wardrobe line, the one the doors linked in nosoccermom's post are meant to be used with.

• voila
    9 years ago

We removed 2 sets of bi-fold mirror doors when remodeling the house. When I went to the big box stores for six panel bi-folds, the special order 8 foot doors were over $150.00 per pair, just like writersblock said. Since I was tired of construction creep and forking over $$$dollars, I balked. Of course my DH had already given the mirrored doors to one of the workers! So we went to Habitat for Humanity and found exactly what we needed new in their boxes for $30.00 a pair. We had donated half the house to them, so got quite a chuckle out of the deal. By the way, mirrored doors are more expensive than the solid doors.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Quite honestly, I would not be overtly concerned about the smell of Pax (IKEA) doors. There are 8 posters, dating back to 2011, from all over the world. There are millions of these doors sold, and if it were a persistent problem, there'd be plenty more hits about PAX smelling.

• marvelousmarvin
    9 years ago

I wonder if it was the gold trim on those mirrored closet doors that dated them and not necessarily because they were mirrored closet doors.

I think whether or not mirrored closet doors will hurt in trying to sell depends on your area:

http://www.trulia.com/pro/industry-2/real-estate-listing-words-the-good-bad-and-hyperlocal/

For example, in Orange County and Ventura County in California, the phrase 'mirrored closet doors' is used more often in those local listings than nationally. That would seem to indicate that that is a popular feature in those areas. Otherwise, why waste space and mention them.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

That's a fun article. Thanks for posting it, MM

Here is a link that might be useful: Real estate listing words

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

This is digressing even more, but that's so interesting! To take this further, would using these buzz words actually change the perception of the prospective buyer? There's a whole area of linguistics that deals/dealt with how and whether language can affect how we see the world. For instance, if you don't have separate words for blue and green, do you have problems distinguishing blue from green. Or when people watched a video of an automobile accident, their estimated speed at impact differed significantly depending on whether they were asked "when the cars touched/smashed into each."

• User
    9 years ago

Topping to send legitimate threads back up the line.