Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
etchbee

Stuffed armchairs for dining room table

etchbee
11 years ago

I love the look of overstuffed armchairs instead of captain's chairs at an informal dining table. I have a design book with this look on the cover, but I have had a terrible time finding chairs that sit high enough to use in that capacity. If they do sit high enough they have arms that interfere with the table. The look I am talking about is like one of those big white stuffed armchairs at the end of a rustic table. I have looked and looked and not seen this idea anywhere. Does anyone have anything like this or have any ideas for me as to where I could buy chairs that would be suitable? As things stand I may take Ikea chairs to an upholsterer that I have used before and get him to make extra high and firm cushions to suit my needs. Anyone?

Comments (9)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

You can custom order chairs for that purpose.

But you may also be able to do what you suggest. It is actually a pretty tricky thing. There are standards for seat heights, but you need to remember the cushion compresses when you sit down. You need to experiment a little first.

I know of a local restaurant where the banquette is too high, and i feel squished. In another, it is too low and i feel like a kid sitting at the grown up table.

• bbstx
    11 years ago

I had a contractor friend who was building a restaurant. The owner wanted a specific chair in the dining room but it was too short. My friend added casters to the legs. I thought it was the perfect solution. It raised the chair the needed few inches, plus made it easier to get in and out of at the table.

If you Google "adding casters to chair," you'll get tons of hits.

• User
    11 years ago

We have parsons chairs at the ends of our kitchen table. They are too low for my husband, but I prefer to sit there. If I wanted all the chairs at the same height, I would have a flat pillow made in the same fabric as the chair that is piped on all sides and sits perfectly in the seat of the parsons chair. We use slipcovers in the kitchen for obvious reasons, so upholstering the chair with more padding would not have been a good solution for us. When I realized I preferred a slightly lower chair, I left it alone. They are also easier for Mr. Fluffy to jump up in and keep me company if I am eating a meal alone :-)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

In addition to seat height, most non-dining chairs have a different pitch to the back and a deep seat. They are designed so you can lean back and relax. and are also wider. Dining chairs are designed to support you when you sit up straight.

There are upholstered and slipcovered armchairs for dining. Ballards and several other catalogs carry these.

• bac717
    11 years ago

Have you looked at Carrington Court? I'm pretty sure there are posters here who have ordered from their website and have been pleased with the quality.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrington Court

• seashellsandpearls
    11 years ago

I wrote Overstuffed Upholstered Host Dining Chairs on the search box at Houzz.com. It brought up 60 photos. It also had lots of good links to find these types of chairs. One place listed was Designmaster...I just googled that word, 1st hit showed the website for the chair maker. Some good looking chairs...although, you can't purchase from the site..you have to use the "Contact Us" feature to ask to be sent a list of authorized dealers located near you.

Sea

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I know someone who just got the Gramercy chair from Ballard Designs for the ends of her dining room table, but that may not be "big comfy chair" enough for you?

I think the idea of casters is cool, especially because moving a large chair in and out from the table could be a little difficult.

I have a settee at my table and it took me quite a while to find one with an appropriate height seat, so I know what you're going through!

• lala girl
    11 years ago

hi - I love the look you are talking about. We used chairs from Restoration Hardware (the Nailhead) - we also looked at their Belfort Wingback as host chairs at one point when we were going to do straight back chairs for the main chairs (we ended up going cushy for all the chairs). I think you are right to think about height, pitch and how the arms could interfere with snuggling in close enough to eat - with so many factors I would be tempted to go with upholstered chairs that were designed for dining.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Ah, it's always so easy looking at a pictures and wanting something like that. Then all the details get in the way!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm