Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for spaghetti lamps

Posted by fastonetime (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 0:10

Help. I am having such a hard time finding these retro lamps. Anyone have one or more they don't want. Or like to sell or trade? Let me know. I've been wanting one for years :0)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for spaghetti lamps

Etsy has a few; Ebay, too.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/spaghetti lucite?_dmd=1&_sop=12

Or do you mean lamps made from string or thin veneer strips?

Here is a link that might be useful: spaghetti lamps

o

There are lots of them on Ebay. Check the link attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spaghetti lamps

o

I've seen them on ebay. But they are so expensive. Why? I am in love with the 70s and the orange, avacado green and yellow colos of that time. I like the string lamps. Wished I had a few or grew up when they were popular

o

I hope you like to dust. Stock up on Q-Tips.

o

We used to make our own.

Soak string in a bowl of glue (diluted Elmer's, as I recall), blow up a balloon, wrap like mad, wait, pop the balloon, and continue...

We used them as shades on cords with light bulb sockets on the ends, and hung them.

We thought we were very cool.

I have no idea what kind of fire hazards we were creating.

o

LOL Bronwyn's mom, I remember those, too.

Fastonetime--they are pricey on eBay because a lot of folks are liking the 70's stuff right now. I've found it's worth it to keep checking b/c sometimes a seller doesn't do any research and they list things very low compared to others. Also, you might have better luck at antique malls in your area. In my large town/small city, there are at least two antique malls that have "retro" booths with stuff from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Their prices may well be lower, or you may be able to make a lower offer and see if they'll take it.

Good luck on your hunt!

o

The string lamps are/were very easy to make, but they cast a wild shadows on the walls, like you're inside a cage.

o

I assume you want the spun acrylic ones and not string?

They really are excellent in ORANGE.

o

Hi all. Thanks for all the info. And yes I love to dust lol. I was just hoping on the odd chance that someone had one that they didn't want or want to sell or trade maybe? I have lots of old hall teapots and jewel tea items as well. I've seen them on ebay for years but the nice colors are always 100plus and I just don't see paying that much for something I've never seen in person or how they really lok when lit. I do love them from what I've seen in photos!

o

Yes acrylic are the ones I am looking for. And yes orange would be a dream to own. I like them all but am more drawn to the outrageous colors!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here