Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eg3d

What kind of headboard would work?

EG3d
11 years ago

In this new place as well as last home, I had to place the queen guest bed in front of a window because of the layout of the room. So what kind of headboard could you see here? A metal one, a wood one or a tall upholstered one?

The room contains a lot of art, including lots of my work too.

Thanks!!!

Comments (27)

• RonyRon
    11 years ago

Hi there, in my opinion, adding a headboard will make the room seem too crowded and might take the attention from your art work.
    i suggest open the curtains or remove them and add a white or patterned Roman Blind.
    Hope this is helpful :-)

RonyRon
    Interior Design
    Give your house an identity
    www.addresssignsnow.com

Here is a link that might be useful: address signs now

• EG3d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unfortunately, this window faces the apt parking lot and the vertical blinds that comes with the apt do not offer enough privacy. I have to have the drapes.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I think an upholstered one in a similar color to the drapes, perhaps you could make one. They're so comfortable.

• EG3d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What shape for the headboard? Rectangle or like the poster who made her own with the arch shape in the center? Rectangle would be easiest. I could get the plywood cut at Home Depot, 63" wide for attaching to the bed frame but do they have plywood that is wider that 48" (that, is if I buy a 4' x 8' sheet, I need the length for the 63" measurement).

Thanks.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

You have so many textiles on the bed and on the window, that I would vote for an iron headboard, not too massive, streamlined ; the fabric headboard would be overkill, imo..

I'm linking a simple crate and barrel headboard, another member had posted a few examples on your july 11 previous thread regarding headboards.

Here is a link that might be useful: c&b headboard

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I would do something small,wood and very plain. Just straight across the back, really just so that you can use it to prop yourself up to read in bed.
    Your drapes work as a head board visually so you don't want anything high or clunky.

• EG3d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That C&B metal bed seems to be a bed and not a headboard. But it is a nice look. And a simple design is a good idea too. Thanks!!

• msdos
    11 years ago

I would do black & wooden

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I would do a simple rectangular upholstered headboard that was tall enough to support the pillows and and sit against, somewhat, but not tall enough to be imposing. I would upholster it in matching or closely correlated fabric to the curtains so that it almost disappeared.

My second choice would be wood, painted the color of the drapery so it disappeared.

• EG3d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the great ideas!!

• EG3d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How about this one? It is 52" high which is about 2 " higher than the black pillows.
    {{!gwi}}

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I like the idea of something that will blend in with the curtains, not contrast.

• bbstx
    11 years ago

Below is a link to what someone with a similar situation did.

Here is a link to her DIY'd headboard

Here is a link that might be useful: Headboard in front of windows

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I agree with a metal headboard. It will be something to keep your guest's pillows from falling behind the bed, and won't take up a lot of visual space. Plus the curtains behind it will show through and that will be pretty.

• design_wotcha
    11 years ago

i like the suggestions for metal headboards, since i think the silhouette created by the daylight behind will look nice. but, i personally find metal headboards a little uncomfortable. you say that the view is not inspiring - so you could use that disadvantage and turn it in to a design advantage and just go for a dramatic, simple headboard that would hide the view and hold its own against the "busier" artwork walls. something like this...then you could keep you curtains open (as in picture) and in fact get more light in the room!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed in Front of Window

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Do you have a good salvage yard where you live? I think an old wrought iron garden gate would make a wonderful headboard in your room. Visually light, but substantial in style, and consistent with your small table base.

Here's a link to some images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iron garden gates

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I have to disagree about the visual lightness of a metal headboard in this situation. Sure, you can see through it, but it adds another layer of color, and another layer of detail and pattern--so it may actually look "heavy", or "too much" and that's not what I think is needed here. I think the more it fades into the background the better.

• msrose
    11 years ago

I would like a white, rectangular, padded headboard just tall enough to support the pillows. I think it would fade into the background like palimpsest mentioned.

• EG3d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. Would you still choose a white headboard if the bed was against a wall instead of the drapes?

• EG3d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and i forgot to mention - the drapes MUST stay closed at all times. The window looks out to a parking lot. All my drapes stay closed at all times since there is NO privacy here.

• msrose
    11 years ago

I still think I would choose a white padded headboard even if it was against the wall. The room has a luxurious feel to it and I think the padded headboard goes with that feel more than a wood or iron headboard.

• tracie.erin
    11 years ago

All I can see in that room is one of those very curvy upholstered headboards. Something with an impact like this, but perhaps cut both sets of the side arc lower/closer to the bed while keeping the top center arc the same height to give it more definition.

{{!gwi}}

Your room is lovely and monochromatic (unless it's my monitor?), so to continue in that vein, the fabric could be a plain black, a plain blue to match your lampshades, a color to match your curtain with a contrasting grosgrain ribbon around the edges.. etc.

Personally I can actually see the red (or another strong color) in your room and like the proportions of white and color in the above image, but would choose a more mature (but still large-scale) pattern like a damask, geometric medallion or ikat. Not sure you would want to go in that direction, but I think it would work.

I really love your walls of art - I hope to have something like that someday.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics & a DIY video (not my blog)

• EG3d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much. Really enjoyed the video on making the upholstered headboard. I think I would keep it in a simple rectangle. That arch has to be cut perfectly and I think that shape is too distinctive and may dominate the space. Plus I could just get the wood cut for me at HD. I have to attach legs and drill holes in them to attach the headboard to the headboard. I don't have the space though to lay out the wood, foam, batting and fabric to do this though. I guess I will have to start saving money for a headboard. Thanks again.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

This place could be an option worth considering. They have full size as well, if you need it.

Here is a link that might be useful: FoamForYou

• bbstx
    11 years ago

As for space, you could clear off the bed, cover it with a drop cloth and use the bed as a work table. Covering a headboard doesn't take a lot of time.

Wow, pal, the headboard you linked is a great deal, even with shipping! Looks like it would take maybe 5 minutes to assemble and about 2 seconds to upholster!

Can you get another curtain panel and use it to upholster the headboard?

• EG3d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions. I appreciate your help.

• EG3d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found this one on craigslist that someone not too far away is selling - $50. Can you imagine this painted a soft white or black?

I like the height a lot.