Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethohio3_gw

Living room probable decisions--input and comments wanted

bethohio3
11 years ago

We think we've reached some decisions on soft furniture for our living room (I've included a link to the original thread below).

Here's a single pic from that thread:

Here's the living room floor plan:

The couches will be the same couch, in different fabrics: (La-z-boy Natalie):

The chair and ottoman (La-z-boy Collins)

I really wanted a high leg recliner, but got voted down by those who will probably use the chair most--DH and DD) (I picked the sofa, so no complaints!

For colors we have (top down) Pillows, one sofa, second sofa, chair/ottoman:

We haven't picked a rug out yet, but we're considering placing the soft furniture order now. (I'd really appreciate rug suggestions). The floor plan is drawn with an 8x8 square rug.

The artwork that will go above the mantle: (not framed yet--it's just leaning against the wall now)

And the artwork in the little alcove between the doors to the closet and master bedroom:

We're not doing anything with the foyer right now. The tables we have are staying for now (budget). The bookshelves will be replaced so we have 6 matching ones on that wall. I pretty much promised DH I wouldn't buy anything else until the soft furniture is there and we can get a sense of how it all looks. (I've also got an incredibly long list of projects, so refinishing anything will not be happening soon.)

The La-Z-Boy designer recommended a floor clock in the corner by the stairs where we now have bookcases. We're considering it.

Thanks so much for any thoughts you might share!

Here is a link that might be useful: Initial

Comments (4)

• les917
    11 years ago

All good things. The only thing I would change is that I would center the one couch on the fireplace, and flip the positions of the other couch and the chair. So the other couch would have its back to the opening to the dining room and the chair would be sitting closer to all the wonderful shelving, more like a reading spot.

• User
    11 years ago

I like the color scheme and fabrics together, but I would do both sofas in the same fabric, either the gray/taupe or the aubergine color. You have a sea of light colors in a large area and need the relief of a solid splash of one of the darker colors. Also, the exact same sofa in two different colors lacks some degree of consistency or cohesion, IMO. Good luck on the project-- you have a very pretty space to work with!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Nice job of selecting fabrics and sofas.

I agree with les about switching the chair to the other side in that, to me, the bookshelves cry out for a more "library" feel. I know you said you don't want to block access to the space, but try it when you get the furniture in...you may like it. Also, for your parties, the furniture may be grouped a bit tight....but you have to see it and move around it in the the room. It may be OK. For some reason, on paper the furniture always looks tighter than it feels once you're in the space. I would suggest that the 8x8 would be small for the scale of the room as well and would keep that conversational cluster tight. We have a much smaller library and used an 8x8 in there.

Do you have a floor outlet where you could put lamps on the sofa table and plug them in? If not, you might want to consider it. I always like lamps on a sofa table. It raises them up and makes reading on the sofa very nice.

This is just me and the phase I'm in, but I've been watching (perhaps too much) Sarah Richardson and love her ability to mix patterns. For me, all the solids and the same colors on the pillows would be too much. Do they offer some patterns that would blend? You could, for example, use something
    like this on the chair with the ottoman...

or even a small dot
    {{!gwi}}

or throw a stripe into some of the pillows:

or a geometric

or a plaid

Of course, I've only seen these fabric on line and they may look awful in RL, but just a suggestion to mix it up some. And of course for pillows, you could always add your own throw pillows afterward and you'd have a much wider selection of fabrics to choose from then.

Your room is going to look lovely!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I have another idea for you, and as soon as I can convince my printer and my scanner to speak to each other, I'll post it.
    Grrr...