Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Should these three windows all be symmetrical?

rockybird
9 years ago

I want to replace at least the one on the viewer's left with a 10 ft arcadia door. The reason for this is so that I can move my small parrots to that room to get them away from the master bedroom (they are loud, and I would like to reclaim the room they are in as an office). I want them to have a view (beautiful mountain behind the house). To get three bird cages in there, I need as large a slider as possible. Should the other two windows also have large sliders? Everything is now 6 ft. wide. If I put in three sliders, I would eventually add three concrete pads. There will also be landscaping, but likely will be a few yrs, as I need to landscape the front and back of house first and finish renovating the house.

I met with the glass guy today and we figured 10 ft. for the left window, middle window, and replace the one on the right with 8.5' slider. The house is larger than it looks in the pics - almost 4000 sq. ft. and each slider would have a great view. Obviously, though, it would be cheaper to just do the one window, but I'm worried it will look funny?

I guess my options are:
-Replace the left window only, leave other two alone.
-Replace the left two windows, leave the 6 ft. arcadia door on the left alone (which is only two yrs. old).
-Replace all three.

Thank you!

The brats:

Comments (21)

• chispa
    9 years ago

Awww, we had one similar to the last one when I was a kid. Of course back then they didn't have all those cool bird toys ... ours kept himself entertained by chewing plastic things around the house ... shower curtain, wellington boots, plastic casing around bike brake cables, etc.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I would replace just the left one and leave the other two alone. I don't think symmetry is all that necessary for windows on the back of the house. Looks like you have a great house and locations.
    I totally understand you regarding noisy parrots. When my brother passed away, his parrot lived with us briefly. It had an incredible vocabulary and was very loud. The more people in the house the louder the bird would be. If you put him in the spare room to get him out of the way, he would blood curdling scream.
    He would tease the dog by saying, "wanna go outside?". He spelled words and sang songs. One of his best tricks was singing "Jesus Loves Me". He would do it in a regular version and then in an opera version.
    One parrot is loud, three has got to be absolutely ridiculous.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL that sounds like a destructive little parrot chispa! My caique, the first parrot in the pics, once took a bite out of my steering wheel!

Thanks badgergal. That would be the best scenario as it would be the cheapest.

They are not as loud as the bigger parrots and unfortunately dont talk as your bird did. In fact, the only one who is loud is my caique. If I am in the house, he will call constantly. He will eventually settle down, though. The species of the smallest bird (last pic) is known as the "quiet conure" and rarely makes a peep. I have had those two birds for over 12 yrs. The middle bird species reportedly can be loud (but not much YET). I saw her posted on a cl ad kept in a very tiny dark cage. I couldnt take it any longer and finally bought her a few weeks ago. She has an old broken wing and was underweight. I was told she is mean, but she has never bitten me. It is almost like she is thankful. She is extremely affectionate. I want to give her to my friends who have offered to take her, but she is so bonded to me, I am worried how it will go. She is also very fearful of new things and pple, I believe due to being so neglected. I dont want three parrots, but am not sure what to do with her. :(

• chispa
    9 years ago

Would just do the one window. Most of us have different windows and doors in the back. Put a console table under the window and it will look like the window was planned all along!

Rocky, I'm sure she is grateful. You did the right thing. You have 2 parrots ... does a third make too much difference? How did the other 2 like the new addition?

• Fori
    9 years ago

Darn they are cute!

Just the one would be fine I think...by the way, mind sharing what type of windows you did use for the newer one? It looks like you found a suitable mid-century-appropriate style?

Thanks!

• erinsean
    9 years ago

We had a bird like your middle picture but our "kiko" had a yellow head. He learned to mimic us "Come-on Bruce" (my son) "caro tortilla" (Spanish for I want a tortilla) and he mimiced running water with his tongue..."bububub" and when you walked up to his cage he would look at you and say "Hello Kiko". He liked me and would give me a kiss but if the guys got too near, he would bite. Such fun but we had to leave him when we left Central America. Not allowed to leave the country. We found him a good home.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! I do feel better about doing only one now. :)

Thanks chispa! She is just the most affectionate thing. She nuzzles my cheek and gives me kisses. She also dances to music and taps her foot to the beat. They all dance and it is pretty funny to see them all bobbing up and down to music.

The new bird has not been integrated into my schedule yet. My other two are. The new bird is too scared yet to get her out with them. I take her out every day when it is just the two of us. For now, I think my birds think she is a visitor who lives on the other side of the house. I think they will have accepted her, but we will see.

That sounds like an amazing and adorable bird grandmaof3. I am sorry you had to leave him, but I'm glad you found him a good home.

Fori, they are custom double paned windows with aluminum frames. One side of the house is all glass...and there are a lot of 8 foot x 8 foot panes and sliders. I had trouble finding anyone to make glass of that size and it was cheapest by FAR to go custom instead of with a co. like Western Windows.
    If you are in Phoenix, I can give you the name of the guy I used. I had to replaces a LOT of glass...here's a pic to give you an idea.

And a couple more pics of my babies:

My little girl bird playing with her hotwheels car:

My boy, all wrapped up (he loves for me to wrap him up and snuggle him):

• Fori
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info! I'm not around Phx. but I do remember your great house--I'm relieved you found such a good solution. Most replacement windows would have not worked well at all!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

LOVE the birds and the house! I had a couple of Cockatiels that did the dance and tap their feet to the music, they both sang songs and whistled songs unfortunately they learned the whistling from me and I am not a good whistler so neither were they LOL. They absolutely loved the song to the Andy Griffith show. Both have passed on to bird heaven. I do miss them and sometimes out of the blue I hear a sound that is like deja vu and I think it is one of them then reality hits and I realize not them. They are just so smart and loving.

Your house is fabulous! I also have a mid century modern house. Is that an atrium with a palm tree growing in it?
    My house is 4000sqft also.I have a huge atrium right in the middle of my house with glass all the way around so you can almost see into it from all the living areas. Right now it is filled with lots of flowering plants and a small bird has decided to build a nest in one of them and have baby birds. This is the second time that has happened and it is so interesting to see them busily working.
    As to the doors I think just one on the left would be fine too.
    I also think if you chose to do the other 2 as doors you could leave the current one as is too. With those views you can't go wrong with big glass.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I vote no need for symmetry.

My husband had a rule long ago that fourlegs couldn't outnumber twolegs in the house. That's gone by the wayside!

My friend has two parrots (both rescued) and is looking to rescue a third. I'm a cat lady but I do share a common interest with her green cheeked conure!

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you guys! ravencajun, I would LOVE to see pics of your house. It sounds fabulous! Your cockatiel sounds like a smart little thing. I am sorry you lost him, but I bet you gave him a happy life.

It's not really an atrium, as it's open to the patio on two sides. I need to get the landscaping in, and I am waiting for quotes. That must be so awesome to see the bird's nest! THat would really be a treat!

Robotropolis, I cant get the link to open. Is there another way to link it? I would love to see it! The green cheeks are just adorable. My little girl is part green cheek. Unfortunately, they breed very easily, and the rescues are becoming full of them. They are such affectionate loving little things. It breaks my heart to see all the parrots in the rescues. I know they are all miserable. And to think the little green cheeks can live 25 yrs, and the bigger parrots over 60 yrs., it doesnt seem right that so many of these intelligent animals dont have homes. I wish there were more restrictions on breeding.

• coco4444
    9 years ago

I have no opinion on the windows, but I love the kindness shown in this thread all around and would like to say to OP that you are someone deserving of such a lovely looking house given the way you come across online!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Did this work?

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Oh, it turned super huge. Sorry! Here's a photo of both her boys (African Grey and GCC) on her scooter. The boys don't get along well together, well, the African Grey only likes her, her boyfriend, and other African Greys.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Robo, love your drinking partner! Hope you didn't let him drink and fly! ;-)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I meant to ask what are the beautiful red bushes in the front of your home? They are a real wow factor.
    I will look for the pictures of my house.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Raven, I'll bet they are Bougainvillea! They grow really well here in LA and looks like they like AZ too.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much Co-Co! :) This is a great thread! Especially since we are discussing my two favorite things - homes and birds!
    Robotropolis - great pic! It did come through! I think my workplace must have blocked them as I see them fine now from home. LOL@your companion. What a cutie! I love the pic of the scooter and the birds. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one posing their birds on things! That scooter would look great in my carport btw.

Yes, they are bougainvillea! I love them. They do seem to do well in AZ. THey are not so pretty right now, as they are not in bloom.

Ravencajun - yes please please post pics of your house!

Also, I had an architect out here yesterday who said it was okay to just to do the one window. I'm having a friend whose a great contractor look at it tomorrow. I am a little worried at how much work it will entail. I'll let you all know tomorrow in case anyone else plans to do something similar.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Oh my husband is going to die when I tell him those are bougainvillea! I showed him the pictures on this thread and that was his big question, what are those bushes! Well that is his absolute favorite plant. But here in North Houston area we have them mainly as hanging baskets and some small trellis vines. He would love to have some that size so would I. In fact in the center of the atrium I have a black iron stand that holds 4 hanging baskets and they are all bougainvillea, they are bouncing back nicely from the extra cold winter but very few blooms or bracts thus far. But my stargazer lilies are huge this year, about 4 ft tall and so many buds and blooms I had to stake each one up. I just took a few pictures, these are out in my atrium also.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I had to cut one.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gorgeous flowers! I met with the landscape architect today. I am really excited to get some things planted. I asked for succulents in the flower beds.

I met with the contractor yesterday re the windows. I'm waiting to hear from an architect on a proposal. I really like her, so I'm hoping this works out. The contractor wants her to look at the plans and make sure it is all feasible, as we will be widening the window. I may end up waiting a few months and do it when I do the ma bath. If that's the case, then I'll probably do the middle window and the one on the left.