Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sundance510

Wall color disagreement and a hodge-podge design!

sundance510
9 years ago

I am busy on the forums tonight!! I'm still working on the awesome feedback I received about my living room. Because the living room looks so nice, my kitchen has really started to bug me. It's all cosmetic... I really like the way the kitchen functions. I am working on the suggestions I've already gotten to put in can lights. I'm mainly looking for some temporary ideas to help the orange, particle board cabinets not scream at me so much until I can paint them (not white!). Any suggestions as to future cabinet paint color would also be amazing. I'm open to (almost) anything.
So the disagreement part is this: the entire kitchen is painted BM Sail Cloth. I originally had the idea to paint the walls behind the cabinets a darker color with Sail Cloth on the remaining walls. DH vetoed and so the whole kitchen was painted the same color. I still feel that it would look better to help with the starkness of the cabinets and the black appliances. Thoughts?

I'm also looking for a way to tie things together a little more. I love my curtains (the medallions are navy, turquoise and light blue) and my painted Ikea island. Not sure if I quite got the color right on the island to tie in the curtains, but I do love it.

This is the darker color idea only behind the bank of cabinets. I'm terrible at the BM visualizer. This color is City Shadow.

Comments (14)

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

My DIL had cabinets the same color as yours, and a couple years ago she gel stained them all black. It was a beautiful transformation! I donâÂÂt have her kitchen to show you, but the link below is similar. It would certainly make a huge difference in your space, and youâÂÂve got good lighting in there, which helps in the overall effect.

Click on the link and scroll down.

Here is a link that might be useful: black kitchen cabinets

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I think painting the cabinet area a darker color will help tie things together. I think I would choose a cool-toned shade from either the floor or the counter. My opinion on the BM visualizer is that the colors are not very accurate. So once you narrow it down, check them out in real life on the fan deck.

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

I would paint the cabinets the City Shadow, or something like it, and leave the wall color.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Check out this old thread. A lot of the pictures are gone but there's still an example of an aqua kitchen. Of course, you're probably not going to want to pop for a backsplash made of $500 (EACH!) tiles to go with your particle board cabinets but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Around This: Keeping the Orange Oak

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I wouldnt paint the cabinets black since you have black appliances.....I think it would suck all the life out of the room and become cave-like. How about a light/medium taupe or gray from your floor/counters.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

A darker wall color helps, but you really need to make sure it's the right color that goes with your fabric too. Will you be adding a back splash? If so, that color needs to be tied in as well...

• sundance510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good morning! Thanks for the suggestions so far. I forgot to add to my original post that I am looking for some ways to temporarily tie things together a little more until I do a bigger facelift. I have no idea what color I want to paint the cabinets yet or even a vision for the entire kitchen (counters, backsplash, etc), so I am taking my time. I'm trying to make it easier not to rush those decisions by doing something cheap and easy like wall paint. The wall would probably not stay that color once the cabinets are painted (suggestions for cabinet color welcome). I am encouraged to hear that a darker color behind there would look ok. I have no idea what tone/shade I should consider. The City Shadow was just one I picked to use as an example photo.
    I guess I'm feeling like I had a vision for the island and the curtains to tie together, but then I realized that nothing else in the kitchen "goes". I'm not really sure what I'm asking anymore, actually!!!

edeevee- thanks for that link. I tore through that post about two months ago when we made an offer on this house. I think I found the one you're talking about. It did make me remember that my chairs still need to be reupholstered. Maybe a dark navy print? I'm trying to avoid the light blue in my curtains (imo that shade looks terrible with the orange wood) and stick to the turquoise and navy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If you are going to do a redo, then don't do anything at this point but make a solid plan. Once that's done, then take each step according to plan to get you closer to your goal. No need to take side trips on your journey...it only means more work and more money.

I think you would benefit from a design seed for a color inspiration. I'm thinking, if you want to stick with the turquoise, then go turquoise, white and black. A great color combo that is both rich and casual yet bright.

You can then mix it with more gray and sea mist colors,

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Montreal Interior Designers & Decorators Esther Hershcovich

Or even other brights if you felt you wanted to.

[Beach Style Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2110) by Essex Architects & Designers George Penniman Architects, LLC

Or you can take it to off white and navy...

But I'm thinking black because of your appliances. Perhaps something earthier.

[Eclectic Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Fiorella Design

I'd paint the cabinetry white, keep the island base the turquoise. Get some turquoise onto the counter in some accessories and then into a valance over the sink window. Or maybe chair cushions or even the ceiling as here. A little turquoise in a B&W scheme will go a long way, but you want it in at least 3 places in the room.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Santa Cruz Design-Build Firms R.A.D. Design-Build

• Olychick
    9 years ago

What about doing a temporary backsplash to incorporate some of the turquoise and de-emphasize the cabinets until you are ready to do a more extensive re-do? If you google temporary backsplashes, there are some great and inexpensive ideas. This is not a backsplash, but caught my eye - it's temp wallpaper...

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I agree with Annie. If you are planning a bigger renovation in a year or two I wouldn't put money or time into this kitchen.

It's neat, clean and very functional. It actually looks nice.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Since you are going to do a kitchen update in the future:

a)Place the kitchen table in front of the window (coming out from it -- like it is now) Paint the kitchen table legs in the same aqua as the island legs .....

b) Paint the chairs in fresh white -- buy another curtain and use the fabric to cover the seats of the chairs ....

c)Don't worry about the color of the walls .... for now ...

d)Get a large aqua bowl for the island -- fill with seasonal fruit or veggies ....

• erinsean
    9 years ago

The first thing I see is your aqua island and no other aqua (except your curtain medallions). I would paint your two chairs aqua to match your island, and cover the seats with material matching your curtains. I would put your table centerd in the area in front of the window...long side to the window. A pretty aqua bowl/vase on the table. Leave the wall color the same as you have it now. A valance over the sink, matching your curtains would look nice and finished. A darker aqua rug in front of your sink. As far as your back splash....I would do nothing until you decide to remodel, though you could paint it a soft aqua like your curtains....just temporarily. A little peice of molding on either side of the window as the cutting off place for paint.

• sundance510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I already had the idea to put the table against the window and quickly remembered why I have the current arrangement. Currently, the light fixture hangs directly over the table. When pushed against the window, the fixture is directly in the middle of the path between the table and island. I don't want to have to dodge that. I was thinking that I could go ahead and swap that fixture out with a ceiling fan (no light kit) until we can do recessed lighting. We don't really use that light since the fluorescent is so bright.

I'm kind of liking the idea of the white, black and aqua. Could I add gray into that? That first design seed is similar to the one I used for my living room:

I think I might actually go ahead pretty soon with painting my cabinets. I am off for the summer from nursing school, so this is probably the most free time I will ever have again in my life! So, what say ya'll? Color suggestions for cabinets? Counters and floors will stay for now. I will probably end up re-painting the island with a softer aqua and box it in with beadboard (maybe?), leave the table natural, paint the chairs the same color as the cabinets and reupholster with the fabric used as the curtains. I might even put up some linen-look plain white curtains I have to simplify the look and make it a little more "breezy".

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I'd definitely paint the cabinets white. Move the table against the window wall. Remove the light fixture and put a plate over the hole until you can replace it or possibly swag it over the new placement of the table. I'd definitely tone down the turquoise on the island. If you paint the chairs white, I'd get a fabric with more turquoise in it to cover the seats and use the same fabric as a valance over the sink to tie the two sides of the room together. I think that will give the room a more cohesive look.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County