Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louislinus

Oh great Googlers of Gardenweb! I need research help.

louislinus
9 years ago

My 9 yo daughter wants to paint her bedroom turquoise and purple. The way her room is there are 3 regular walls, and then the front wall is curved from the ceiling; meaning there is no 90 degree angle or break from the ceiling, the ceiling just waterfalls down the wall. Does that make sense? So you can do 1 color on the 3 walls and then the ceiling and 4th wall a different color. We found this picture and she likes these colors - and I can tolerate them. :) I am having a lot of trouble sourcing the colors. This picture was in Coastal Living and the decorator/designer is Deborah Whitlaw Llewellyn. Can any of you figure out the paint colors? Or recommend a SW paint color that would be close to these two? (I get an employee discount on SW paint.)

TIA!

Comments (7)

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also need recs on a creamy off white for my bedroom, and a light green for my son's room. The painter is coming Tuesday!!

Was thinking SW Antique White, have no ideas on the green.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Someone on another thread posted about this tool. You upload your pic and it gives you the corresponding SW colors. Hope this works for you

Here is a link that might be useful: SW lets chip it

• localeater
    9 years ago

I just painted my bedroom SW Antique White. I am very happy with the results. I have Alabaster White trim. It is calming, light and airy which is what I wanted.

• barbcollins
    9 years ago

I know exactly what you mean about the curved wall. I had one of these at our last house in the bathroom.

I ended up wimping out and just painting everything the same "builder beige" because it was a house we were going to sell, and I couldn't do anything special.

I don't know that I would have done contrasting colors, but I think a lighter or darker shade would look good.

How long is your curved wall?

I thought about putting shelving across at the curve to give me a place to stop the ceiling paint, but I didn't have the time, money or space to do it.

Or how about some beadboard or wainscoting on that wall, so you have a place to break the wall/ceiling color?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Chip it! says cloud burst and verve violet, but the samples look more grayed down vs. the room colors which look more primary...

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just don't trust Chip it. Lol I got Gutsy Grape and Mountain Stream. The grape looks close but when I looked at pics of Mountain Stream it was more blue than turquoise.

Glad to hear the Antique White worked for you Local.

Barb - I have this curved wall situation in 2 bedrooms. They are big rooms so it's a lot. This color scheme is for my 9 yo and she really wants it so we're going for it. I'm trying to be zen and remind myself that it's her space not mine. But yeah a giant purple stripe in a turquoise room wouldn't be my first choice. :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

So I ran the photo through color palette fx and came up with this. I then took the blue and the purple and ran it through encycolorpedia to find the closest SW matches.

It came up with Rapture Blue and Kimono Violet which is really not very close...neither is Passionate Purple.

I think you can do better with trying to color match, if you want to get those shades. However, you may prefer a grayed down version as those colors are very strong.

Your alternative is to run a molding strip or a strip of wallpaper border somewhere below the line of the curve so you create a break between wall and ceiling. I'd hate to paint a strong color on the ceiling only because I'd hate to have to paint over it. Also, depending on the height of the ceiling and the size of the room, it can get very "small" in there.