Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_mocha

Favorite Neutral Paint Colours

lisa_mocha
15 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I'm a lover of all things off-white. I'm in the process of deciding on a color for the master bedroom and might go for something with a little more color than say, Benjamin Moore Ivory White. (But not too much color!)

I have aqua accessories,and a couple of duvet covers; chocolate brown and 1 white linen. Curtains are either choc. brown velvet or off-white linen in summer.

Can anyone suggest any of their favorite soft cream/beige paint colours? (Benj. Moore, Pittsburgh or Sherwin Williams preferred) I was considering BM Barely Beige or SW SOfter Tan.(Don't want anything that goes pink or peachy)I do like soft, soothing shades.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

L.

Comments (46)

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

BM Bone White and BM Navajo White look great in my rooms. BM Barely Beige is a tad darker than the Navajo White but they are otherwise very similar to one another.

• User
    15 years ago

Ellen Kennon's Buttercream is my all time favorite soothing neutral.
    {{!gwi}}

• debbiedoes
    15 years ago

Ellen Kennon's Mushroom is amazing. Very subtle, great with aquas and they're having a sale right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ellen Kennon's website

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm not familiar with Ellen Kennon's paints...likely only sold in the US? (I'm in Oakville, ON)

How about Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray or Manchester tan?
    Also...has anyone used Sherwin Williams Softer Tan? These are all colors I might test...

Just want to avoid peachy/pink or shades with green undertones. Wondering is the paints listed above have these?

I did try S.W. Navajo White & I did like it...but maybe just a little on the peachey side. MMM...another one SW Antique White?? So many shades to choose from...not easy!
    (My tester collection is growing...and husband patience decreasing...haha. 'Just pick a colour already'...lol)

Help!Would really appreciate if anyone has used these colours could post pics.

Thanks again!!!
    Lisa

• iwantakitchen
    15 years ago

I have BM barely beige and I find it to be on the pink side. But lighting alone could have something to do with that look. Anyways I am changing it.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

BM Ancient Ivory is a pale neutral--no undertones of any kind. I used it in my kitchen.

• canobeans
    15 years ago

Softer Tan may have a bit of green to it. I do remember splotching it and I thought it was lovely, though a bit too light for me. I have Macadamia from the same strip in my guest BR. I'll see if I can snap a pic.

I also have SW Kilim Beige in my kitchen and no undertones, though in another house I used it in it seemed a wee bit pink. Here it's just solidly tan. I can't remember the color that's next up on the strip.

• nmladybug
    15 years ago

I searched and searched when we recently did an addition to our house. I wanted the "perfect neutral" as well and tried so many samples that I am guessing I spent close to $500 just on sample pots and quarts. However, it was all worth it b/c I LOVE the color we ended up with. It's from the Benjamin Moore Aura line and it's called Jute. Not pink or peach at all. I've also heard that the color called Hush from the BM Aura line is also a great neutral.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

BM Bone White is so close to SW Navajo White but less peachy. I tried them both and chose the Bone White for my family room walls.

Organic, do you have a pic of the BM Ancient Ivory? It sounds pretty.

dian57, I just love that color on your wall. So Ellen Kennon's Buttercream is a nice neutral that is happy and I think I would have liked it for one of my bedrooms.

• marys1000
    15 years ago

I'm working from memory but I tried a lot out. I did a bedroom in Softer Tan - I found it to be really very neutral but its darker than an off-white. I think its on the same strip as Macademia (did the living room and loved it but it really is a greenish khaki) which has green to it but I didn't think the Softer Tan did. I remember thinking it was the most neutral color I'd ever seen.
    BM Bone, I did in a bathroom and loved it, my counter was green and I was never sure if it had a slight green to it or if it was the counter but I know I'll use it again some day regardless.
    SW Modern White was in the hallway and I thought might have been slightly pinkish but I'm super sensitive to that so not sure there.
    If I remember I tried Kilim Beige in a bathroom and repainted - it looked like silly putty to me, sort of a pinkish greyish undertone. Same bathroom I thought SW Navajo White was sort of yellowish. Oddly I can't remember what I ended up with in there even though it was the most difficult room to get right.

• nmladybug
    15 years ago

It amazes me how different paint can look from room to room or even house to house. I love the EK Buttercream as well, it's what we used in our little girl's playoom. However, in our house it is YELLOW. Not just a hint of color but a true yellow. I still think it's a beautiful color but with EK paints especially I think they really change depending on the space they are in.

The description of Kilim Beige above is the best I've ever heard. It looked just like Silly Putty in my house, too. I've seen it in a neighbors house and it was beautiful but it didn't look right in my own.

• teacats
    15 years ago

We're in Dallas --- but my family home is in Port Credit -- many years past! Still have a friend that lives right near the Olde Oakville village.

Anyway -- have you checked out the Farrow & Ball store -- perhaps their "String" color?

Or try "Carrington Beige" (HC-93) from Benjamin Moore -- very neutral!

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

We have BM Edgecomb Gray in our master bath (with pale gray green tile) and it's lovely and subtle. Not pink. And not green at all. Brownish grayish. We're probably doing our new kitchen in it as well.

• randita
    15 years ago

SW Sand Dollar is a nice neutral. It changes color with the light during the course of the day, which is neat.

• babs711
    15 years ago

I was going to suggest BM Softer Tan or Elephant Tusk.

• babs711
    15 years ago

Oops - I meant BM Elephant Tusk or SW Macadamia.

• marys1000
    15 years ago

I just wrote this on a different thread. I THINK (not a paint professional)
    that most off whites have a base or undertone. Certainly the ones that are the lighest color on a color strip. The ones that are on a separate sheet - its probably wise to ask what the undertone is based on.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but what I've run into are
    grey, yellow, pink, green, blue

There are a few out there that do seem really neutral like SW Softer Tan but many will turn a bit to their undertone in certain lighting, so you sort of have to pick your poison I think.
    Now I'm not sure whether you want one with a green undertone if you say, have green carpeting, because that will increase the likelyhood of it showing its undertone, or if you want to do the opposite side of the color wheel in the hopes they will cancel each other out. Maybe it depends on the affect you want.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Many thanks to everyone for some great suggestions!

I'll collect these chips/testers and view in different lighting in the day. I know these lighter colors are difficult to get right!

Teacats: Small world isn't it?? We've been living in Oakville almost 5 yrs now(from Halifax NS). Lovely town and only 25 min. to downtown Toronto.

• redroze
    15 years ago

We have Manchester Tan in our family room. It's a nice neutral but I personally don't like the yellow undertone to it, as I prefer greys. We're restaining our golden oak hardwood to a dark brown, so we're painting our walls Natural Cream - a sort of grey beige.

{{!gwi}}

I really really like Natural Linen, which is in our master bedroom. It looks dark in the paint can but comes off as a really nice neutral.

{{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

redroze: Love the Natural Linen. Is this a BM paint? Any more shots of your bedroom? It's lovely! Does the color change with the light? Also, is the Natural Cream BM, also?

• scottmel
    15 years ago

I LOVE BM Natural Cream. I too spent 80 on sample pots and found this Natural Cream and just LOVE IT. PERFECT for my space...I used it in a bathroom with a lot of natural sunlight and a blue tile floor and it remained neutral. Looks very much like the bedroom posted above...

• redroze
    15 years ago

Woops just noticed this.

Organic_smallhome - Natural Linen is a BM paint. When you see the paint chip you may be afraid it's too dark but it is a true neutral when it's on the walls. It changes slightly with lighting but doesn't have too much yellow, which I like.

Thanks for the compliment! I actually gave you a shot of the nice part of our bedroom as the rest has ugly hand-me-down furniture. This is the only other photo I have of it until we buy new stuff. It's more of a close-up of our pillows. =)

Natural Cream is BM as well. Can't wait to see it on our main floor once our kitchen is done!!

{{!gwi}}

• Marcia Thornley
    15 years ago

I love BM Shaker Beige. Used it in a hallway and now want to use it again somewhere. It's really a nice neutral.

• tess_5b
    15 years ago

We used BM Seaspray in our livingroom and hallway. It's a great neutral, I'd say with a yellow undertone so nice and warm. It's lighter in person than it appears in the linked photo; goes beautifully with our medium oak hardwood floors.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

tess_5b, I just love your BM Seaspray walls, your medium oak hardwood floors, your TV and your TV entertainment center. That wall color is perfect! Thanks for sharing. I saved the picture under my favorite paint colors.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

redroze, I love the BM Natural Linen also as it is a great neutral.

• cpccarolyn_2008
    15 years ago

I am using SW Navajo White for all my trim. It looks great.
    Beautiful soft color that is not glaring white which I just do not like on trimwork.

• canobeans
    15 years ago

I just used Kilim Beige again -- had a leftover gallon from painting my kitchen but it was too dark for the bathroom so I had the paint store mix it with equal parts of off-the-shelf white paint. I got a color in between KB and the next one up the strip, Divine White (which was too light). It is *gorgeous* -- totally neutral tan to me. Sadly, I think it is *the* color I was trying to find for my LR/hallways a while back. I ended up using Chopsticks which is OK, but this would have been so much nicer. Not going to repaint though, but I will use it again in another house if I need a great neutral.

• babs711
    15 years ago

Here are some pics in our (at the time not-quite-finished-and-a-bit-cluttered) playroom of SW Softer Tan. We see no green in it at all. My MIL has it throughout her home as well and no green. I also have it in our home office. It's nice. We have Elephant Tusk in our hallway. It's lovely as well. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Hope that helps a bit with the colors you were asking about!

• mauimere
    15 years ago

I have softer tan in my kids playroom and Macademia in our bedroom - neither show any green undertone in my house.

• babs711
    15 years ago

Thanks Mauimere, I forgot to mention that Macadamia is in our main living spaces...kitchen and living room. It's gorgeous but definitely no green.

• juddgirl2
    15 years ago

I just picked out my BM colors today, and chose Linen White to use on my ceiling, trim and doors. I wanted a neutral to warm off-white that complemented my wall colors of BM Baby Turtle and Wilmington Tan. Linen White doesn't seem too gray, pink, or yellow, just a creamy white.

Bone white was also very pretty, but I was afraid it might be a bit dark to use as a trim color.

The lightest color on the Wilmington Tan color card is also very pretty, and I might use that in another room.

• nanjean68
    15 years ago

Then there is BM Calming Cream - OC-105; windham cream - HC-6; Shaker Beige -HC-45; Cream Yellow - 2155-60 and of course the Linen White. I did my guest room in Linen White and then scored a Ralph Lauren Hope Chest white bedding on Ebay. I guess it's a white on white thing. I used dried blue hydrangeas as an arrangement and aqua blue pillows on the bed. Seems peaceful.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

nanabella, your bedrooms so peaceful and beautiful. I love creams and whites with color accents. I'd love to see a picture.

I had my Home Office painted in BM Linen White in a pearl finish with Sherwin Williams Extra White trim, ceiling, doors, etc. I have cherry furniture in the room and putty file cabinets. My honeycomb blinds are natural but I wish they were white. My room is easy to work in and peaceful. The white ceiling really brightened up my office.

• basic_kim
    15 years ago

I am painting walls Benjamin Moore Linen White (downstairs), and would like to paint the trim a few shades darker...any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

redroze: Thank you for posting another pic of your MBR. Your bed is beautiful! I'm really falling in love with Natural Linen. AND I'm really hoping that you'll post a pic of the Natural Cream, as well, once you've finished painting. :)

• catmint12
    15 years ago

After trying what must have been 20 different colors on our living room/dining room walls, I happened on Benjamin Moore's Muskoka Trail, which transformed the space. It has amazing depth, looks equally beautiful in day or night light, and goes with everything.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

My favorite is EK Light TerraCotta, because it is always changing. It is warm and soft with great contrast in light or shadows. As the lighting changes with the weather and time of day, so do the walls. Sometimes, it almost looks white. Looks fabulous with browns, ivorys, blues, aquas etc.

• andee_gw
    15 years ago

Another BM darker-than-white-but-neutral that works well for me, but I never see it mentioned here, is French White. It complements travertine tile particularly well and so it is in that color family of no green or gray undertone.

• Lisa Abrahamson
    15 years ago

BM Softer tan. Very neutral. I used it in my hallways, with BM linen white for a trim.
    I used BM Macadamia in the living room and it definitely has a green/khaki undertone. Someone actually thought it was green. It is in a south facing room, so that might make a difference.
    Sorry, I don't have pictures

• mpmg46
    15 years ago

Softer Tan and Macademia were the two that we had our colors down to for the FamRm/Kit/MornRm. We went with Macademia in the end, but I really liked Softer Tan. I don't recall it having green undertones. Have you tried the color to go of it to see what you think yet?

Here is our morning room-in Macademia. We also have SW Basket Beige (one shade darker than Macademia) in my son's room.

{{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

mpmg46, I love your kitchen so much. That color is perfect for the walls and the window treatments look great.

• babs711
    15 years ago

Adding on some more BM Macadamia pics for you...this is it in lighter light (LOL!) for another visual from another person's perspective:

And that was my playroom above with the Softer Tan. We love both shades!

• User
    15 years ago

I just painted my daughter's room sherwin williams Dover White. I am happy with it - I wanted a warm white, not stark white. I will probably use it for my LR also.

Love that picture of the BM Linen white. I was planning on trying this one also, but our local store that carried Benjamin Moore went out of business. :-(

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

One of my new favs is Ellen Kennon's Taupe

At my old house I used a great white called Cocnut Grove by Sherwin Williams. It's an old color originally for exterior but if you ask for it they can make it up for you.