Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbie08075

Must fireplace mantle color match the room trim?

barbie08075
13 years ago

We are in the process of completing our fireplace mantle and book shelf. Is it odd, off kilter or down right weird to paint the fireplace mantle and bookshelf a different color from the rest of the rooms trim? The walls are a blue/green, the trim is white (unified with the rest of the downstairs)- would an off white such as Benjamin Moore standish white look wrong on just the fireplace trim and mantle in a traditional room, while the rest of the room's trim was decorator white? This is a traditional room.

Comments (5)

• yayagal
    13 years ago

I think it's perfectly fine as long as you put some of the color in the room too via accessories. My bedroom has apricot walls, white wood work and all the rest is cream and it's yummy. Do what you love, that's all that matters.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

My fireplaces are all different than the wood trim (oak verses cherry and mahogany).

I think it's important that you are sure to keep the colors separated a bit. I'd be worried that a cream next to a white might just look like bad lighting or a dirty area (depends on the white and the cream). I think a tan would be a better choice than a creamy tone next to the white...just to get that definate differentiation of tones (that's not a word...I'm tired and refuse to look it up) :oP

• barbie08075
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good point to keep the color separated. With a tan or taupe color pulled from the rug, the fireplace/bookcase will appear as a piece of painted furniture and should unify the look. Now all I have to do is find the right tan/taupe color.

• segbrown
    13 years ago

Here's what we did:

(Not that it's right or wrong, or you'll like it or not, but at least it's a visual example.) We had painted all our trim Super White glossy and all our walls and ceilings Elmira White eggshell. We considered dark wood for the mantel, then decided to blend things in and just used dark wood for the counter on the shelves. Everything else in the fp and built-ins was painted Elmira White in a glossy finish, even the crown molding and the small amount of baseboard at the bottom of the mantel. But the baseboard under the shelves, still white.

And I'm going downstairs right now to straighten up all those cords, lol.

• barbie08075
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the visual Seg..Our situation is similar. Good choice with the egg shell, as the super white would have way to bright for all the shelving (which is what I am also trying to avoid).

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths