Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseofanothercoler

Painting Ceramic Lamps???

roseofanothercoler
15 years ago

Thank you in advance for all responses and advise. Has anyone painted ceramic lamps? I have two "Ginger Jar" Lamps that I would like to makeover and use. I'm thinking about painting them. Has anyone tried this and what was your result? And more importantly, how did you do it. Once again Thank you....Rosie

Comments (14)

• neetsiepie
    15 years ago

Krylon spray paint. It now comes in a huge variety of colors and sheens. Easiest thing ever.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

I just painted a pottery lamp that I made years ago and it needed a color change. I went to Michaels and got four tiny bottles of glass paint. One was a sky blue which I painted all over it and then I varied a cobalt with a deep purple and let it drizzle down. It looks like a high end piece from a good store now. I got a good linen lampshade for it. Easy fix.

• printersdevil
    15 years ago

I don't think that you can paint over the ones that are high gloss where the paint color was fired on in a kiln. I could be wrong, but I think I remember my sister telling me this when I wanted to paint some years ago.

• User
    15 years ago

I spray painted this lamp w/Kylon also - all I did was clean it well.

The orig lamp was white w/blue flowers and I wanted to freshen it up!

Jim

• bac717
    15 years ago

After reading this thread, I'm thinking about picking up a lamp with a nice shape at a thrift store and giving the Krylon paint a try. That way, if it doesn't turn out as well as I'd like, at least I wouldn't be out a lot of money.

• valzone5
    15 years ago

I have painted a shiny ceramic lamp. I liked the shape, but not the 70's orange flowers that were painted on it. I sanded it down with regular sandpaper, primed with Zinzer, and then painted it with a foam roller and craft paint, then put a sealer coat over it to give it some shine and protect the paint. Spray paint would have been a better idea, but I was in a hurry, LOL! In any case, the paint has held up just fine.

• barbarany
    15 years ago

I also spray painted a ceramic ginger jar lamp with copper metallic krylon paint - came out beautiful

• oneplustwo
    15 years ago

Yay for this thread! One of the projects on my to-do list is to paint an old hand-me-down lamp. Wasn't sure what to use. Now I know! Jim, thanks especially for showing your end result -- looks amazing!

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I've painted several ceramic lamps over the years, most with shiny surfaces and they all came out really well with no sanding at all. I've used the Krylon spray and regular craft paint from Hobby Lobby.
    BTW, Chijim: that room is stunning! I'd love it if you'd start a new thread and show us with more pics of it.

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

I agree, Lynn. I'd love to see more. It looks like so homey and comfortable.

• tseretis_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Does anyone have any ideas on reversing this process? I have 2 ceramic lamps with gesso flowers on them that I painted over many years ago. I now would like to try to remove the paint and restore to the original finish. Thanks. Terry

• N. S.
    7 years ago

I found this thread via Google, specifically this post, but so disappointed to see that there are no replies to it! Darn! I had my husband spray paint a green glossy lamp white and now I regret it and want the original back. :/

• John Smith
    7 years ago

Painting lamps is a great idea! I bought these two for less that $4, and painted them. Sanded lightly with 200 grit, cleaned with vinegar and water. Let dry. Then spray painted. (make sure to wear a mask when spray painting, as there is a lot of overspray that you don't want to breathe in, even when painting outdoors)