Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Anyone use a loveseat as dining table seating? Pics?

TxMarti
14 years ago

I think it would look great and save space to have a loveseat against a wall with the table in front, like banquet seating, but my dh just can't see it. Has anyone done that? Is it hard for people to get in & out of the loveseat?

Comments (12)

• pammyfay
    14 years ago

I've not, but I can't help but wonder if the height of the loveseat's seat is just a bit too low to sit at a dining table comfortably. There are some armless loveseats out there, which might work better for getting in and out IF the seat height works with a table.
    Here's a link to Mitchell Gold's armless sofa--the page has full dimensions that can help you get a basic idea if those are too low.

Here is a link that might be useful: mitchell gold furniture

• redbazel
    14 years ago

I think a cushioned bench would be nice, or some sort of banquette seating. But even though I love repurposing things and using things in different ways, I think your husband can really visualize that this would be uncomfortable. For one thing, most loveseats have arms and would prevent a diner from getting up and away from the table easily. The upholstery would gets spills and start looking shabby very quickly. The height would be wrong. I see where you came up with the idea, but maybe a bench with a back would suit your purpose better.

Red

• groomingal
    14 years ago

I agree with pammyfay- the height of the seating will probably be different and I think an armless seating set would look more appropriate also if the height is not an issue.
    I did see a decorating show that had a nifty multi-purpose coffee table. The top came up and out to serve as a table- pretty great use of space I don't think the couple had a dining area or even an eat-in kitchen.

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

We did that years ago when we had large parties for dinner and needed an extra table setting. We had an "apartment width" couch (a width about halfway between a love seat and a full couch). We put one ordinary brick under each leg of the couch to make the couch a bit higher. In our case, the couch's skirt (mostly) hid the bricks. It worked very well.

If I were to do it today, I would use plastic or wood "bed extenders." In terms of ease of getting in or out of the couch, it was just like a booth. The middle person probably felt a bit trapped. That said, it was comfortable and looked nice. Sorry, no pics.

• tsherman
    14 years ago

I just tried the same thing with a settee I picked up on CL. It looked great, but it was too low. The bed extenders would work, but probably wouldn't look too good. We have kids and I thought the settee would work but the fabric was gross within a few days. I think you could make it work, but it really isn't ideal.

Along that line though, we switched out the settee and use the bench that was in the hallway in the kitchen. It's a tad higher, and easier to get in and out of. I covered the cushion on the top of the bench with an waterproof fabric which is holding up OK, and will be easy to replace when the time comes. Just another option to consider - HTH!

• judithva
    14 years ago

I love the idea, I have lots of inspiration photos saved.
    Here are a few. Enjoy.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Those are beautiful judith. They look like custom upholstered benches and not ready made love seats.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

I love that first seat Judith. I agree with Terriks though - I don't think those are loveseats. They are pretty much seat height of the chairs. Upholestered banquets? benches?

tina

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

Not sure you can see it here but I love mine.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    14 years ago

boopadadoo, that is what I had in mind too. How does it work for you?

Judithva, I love that first photo, it looks so comfy.

Thank you both for sharing.

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

My kitchen table moves easily if needed for getting in and out since there is no rug under it . We love it. I would say it is everyones favorite seat in the kitchen.

• designfool
    13 years ago

could someone please tell me where to buy dining couches/banquettes like the pictures above I love the blue one, perfect the way it leans up against the wall, but isn't too slanted , this way you can actually eat...please please tell me where to find a couch/bench like the above especially the blue one thanks