Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martinca_gw

My3dogs and all: chair makeover please.

My thrift store find: two matching small, dining table type wing chairs.
Want the color to be off-white or greige, and thinking linen with nail heads and possibly tufted back, but it don't want them to look fuddy-ish. Also wonder if an upholster could beef them up at bit or...? Also, they'd look more substantial with a cushioned seat, but not sure if the size could accommodate it. I'll probably do the backs in a velvet, or tone on tone crewel, if I can find. Any ideas would be very welcome.
TIA!
Marti

Comments (13)

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a totally different type chair that's tufted and looking fresh vs. fusty. My new chairs are nice, but somewhat blah and hotel looking, to me, so I'd love your thoughts and creative ideas.
    Thanks again. :)

• mdln
    9 years ago

LOVE the second one....

• peony4
    9 years ago

For a dining room, I love their lines, and don't believe a more cushioned seat would improve them in a dining space. If you want fresh vs fussy, I would focus on fabric choice (and the nailhead trim) rather than trying to change the shape of the chair.

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

2 matching chairs at a thrift store? Great find! The upholsterer could add a cushioned seat but the seat would add height for the person sitting at the table. Thinking of the table, will the arms of the chair fit under the table?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Anything could be done, such as a cushion replacing they type of seat on it now, and I have linked some images below. I couldn't find a chair just like yours (and there are some odd ones here), but you'll get ideas. Lucky find to get a pair!

Waverly makes a fabric they call Candlewicking, which is sort of a tone-on-tone crewel. It used to just come in an off-white, but now they have it in 'mist' and 'palm'.

Here is a link that might be useful: small tufted back chairs

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I have two wing chairs at my DR table that were originally LR chairs.

Great suggestions about checking the arm height to see that it fits under the lip of the table.

Also you will want to check sitting in them to make sure they are tall enough that a normal size person can sit in them and reach the table without feeling as though they are sitting on the floor. If the chair seats are too low, instead of putting on an extraordinary amount of cushioning which will sink, I put some casters that I ordered from a hardware that deals in products for restoration (not RH) which gave me the needed height without adding a lot of fluff that would sink and need redoing. My chairs were Chippendale mahogany so they were solid enough to withstand the installation of the casters which before examining the chairs was the initial concern for my furniture guy.

Tufted for a DR? That is up to you, but I am not sure I would gussy up the chairs too much. I would want them to be as comfortable as the other chairs but not take away from the rest of the room as you want your meal, your tablescape and guests to be the feature.

Have you ever owned tufted chairs? They are a pain to keep clean and the upholstery yardage almost doubles (or can double depending on fabric) when tufting plus the labor is higher. Crumbs and dust can get into the tufting and be very difficult to remove.

I add this because I am about to have my recamier upholstered and I asked my sister who is an interior designer if I could remove the tufting from the seating and keep it in the back and keeping it looking proper. She reminded me that it is often done by Ralph Lauren. If you do upholster using tufting, that is an idea since you will be using it in a DR.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

removing duplicate post

This post was edited by my3dogs on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 8:34

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Maybe an upholsterer can just beef up the current seat..it looks like it has flattened some. If you are having them done....I would ask them to re-pad (?) the whole thing so they will have a thicker, fresher look.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much! Pics are great. Some explanation: they do not slide all the way under the table...but, neither do the arm chairs that came with the Hickory Chair dining set, and it's fine. Also, I wanted the chairs mainly as accent chairs to flank the french doors. Will not often be used at the table.
    I would like them beefier. Before finding this pair, I put my two l.r. wing chairs there just to see. Great, but a bit too big. The. challenge has been finding the perfect size. I thought turfing might help, tho I'd prefer not. Btw, for anyone contemplating tufting, I have three and never an issue with dust, etc.
    I'd like a cushion like this, but they're only 18" deep....so would it work?
    P.s. Showing no( visable) dust tufting. :)

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Perhaps I am just a filthy person the reason my emerald green velvet ones appear dusty at the tufting.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Of perhaps I'm a lazy Southern slattern who doesn't see/ mind it as much. :) :)
    Pic is another in velvet that the dog sleeps on ( towel on seat), and rarely gets a vacuum . The dark is shadow only. Go figure!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Ah, I have three dogs, all of whom enjoy a tufted fabric chair, especially after they pull the protective towel aside, and my H&M tufted on back, seat and arms leather chesterfield. That is covered with a fitted sheet, but I wouldn't photograph either unless I did a lot of prep work before. Tufts love dog hair in my house! :-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm. Verrry interesting. My two are hairy beasts, leaving their fur everywhere,but not in the tufts. ??? As for chairs, think I'll cover in off-white linen with nail heads. See if my guy can beef up a bit. Will check out that Waverly fabric, too. I'll post an after pic ...but will take me awhile. Other stuff brewing. Many thanks again to all!