Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Book Jacket Canvases on Barnes and Noble Store Walls: Available?

User
15 years ago

I have admired the art in Barne's and Noble bookstores for years; they have what appear to be canvases of book jackets (approx. 24" x 30") on the walls near the ceiling all around each store. I have spoken to countless managers, emailed the corporate offices, etc., and no one seems to know anything about the art. "It came with the store," "we don't have it for sale," "I don't know where it came from," etc. Even the corporate office seems clueless.

I would like to buy a few of these for my son's room. He is an avid reader and would love the B&N "cover" of Catcher in the Rye and a few other titles. Does anyone know if or where this is for sale? I think it must be a proprietary product because artcom and allposters.com don't have it. Does anyone know the commercial design firm that handles the B&N account? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments (18)

• sdionnemoore
    15 years ago

This may or may not help you, but I'm an author and I can tell you that I receive cover flats of my books. Cover flats are basically what you see when the book is opened flat: :) The front cover, spine, and back cover. I say this because you could easily take a book you enjoy and scan it, then use Photoshop to give it a canvas effect, print it, mat it, and frame it. Too, if your son has a favorite author, you might contact the author to get a cover flat from them for this purpose. Most authors would be totally flattered by such a request AND they'd more than likely autograph it!

• davisgard
    15 years ago

I seem to remember being able to buy those at one time as posters and/or printed on canvas through barnesandnoble.com--but I don't see it on their website any more. (I remember the canvas ones were printed "to order.") I did see something similar on barewalls.com, however.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your replies----I'll look on barewalls and tell him he could contact an author directly, that may be an option for some books. Unfortunately, his two favorites are by J.D. Salinger and John Kennedy O'Toole! :(

If anyone else has seen these for sale, I would be interested in hearing about it, thanks!

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

Why not just take the book into a copy place and have them enlarge it?

Here is a link that might be useful: FedEx Kinkos

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

We admired the art for the kids' section of the B&N with the wooden storybook characters everywhere. We decided to paint our own and they came out even better than the B&N art. Here's what we did: First we scanned the images and blew them up really big. Then DH used the blow ups as a wood cutting pattern and cut them out on his jigsaw. I used tracing paper and traced all of the nuances to the drawings onto the wood. Then I painted in. Finally, a couple of coats of poly to protect the paint, and picture hooks on the back.

I'm not at home so I don't have access to the pictures. If you're still looking for ideas, I can post a picture tonight.

• davisgard
    15 years ago

Amazon.com also has some book jacket posters--including one for Catcher in the Rye. They also have a lot of Time magazine covers with literary figures (I didn't look through all of them to see the authors). I think all the posters are from second party sellers.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

Art.com has a ton of book covers, including Catcher in the Rye, and you can get their posters screened onto canvas.

• donnar57
    15 years ago

FedEx Kinko's, depending on the location, is not always cooperative about photocopying ANYTHING that might be copyrighted!!! Ours has strategically posted signs that tell you that they will not do that. At the self-serve machines, you might be able to get by with it, if you can find a machine that will enlarge something. But ours doesn't have a self-serve color copier, which is what you'd need probably.

One time, I was copying music at the self-serve, and one of the clerks came by. He politely informed me that I was not supposed to copy music. I looked at him, said, "First off, this music is out of print. Second, it has 10 pages that I'd like to be able to spread out across my piano in groups of 5. Both are legitimate reasons to photocopy." Actually, the first one isn't - you're still supposed to ask the copyright owner. But the second one is definitely a reason. I was most annoyed. I now find a different place for photocopying.

DonnaR/CA

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

You can actually slightly alter the jacket after scanning it. You should probably vectorize in a program like Illustrator to avoid the pixilated look.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the replies and links above. I've been through the entire list of art.com and allposters (both are third party sellers to Amazon) and neither mounts those particular posters on canvas. (They don't offer that option for every poster they sell.) It's the screened canvas print with no frame that I really want and just can't find. I am not very experienced with arts and crafts and would not be able to stretch a canvas over a frame if I did manage to get the jacket copied. The Kinko's dilemma over copyrighted material is a moot point, as we live in the country at least an hour from a copy shop like that. I thought someone might have seen this same product somewhere for sale... someone must be manufacturing them, because a brand-new Barnes and Noble opened about an hour from us and had the very same artwork of stretched canvases with bookjackets either screened on or glued to the front.

• joannadykhuis_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Great news (if you're still looking for these canvas posters three years later...)!

I found someone who said they emailed B&N who responded by saying that they order their posters from this site:

http://buyenlarge.com/subsites/book%20covers/index.html

BuyEnlarge.com does in fact have book covers but I don't know how you would order them--perhaps you'd have to contact the company and request a canvas print? Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone, sometime...

for Googling purposes:
    Barnes and Noble wall art
    Barnes and Noble canvas posters
    Where can I find the posters at Barnes and Noble?
    Barnes and Noble classic book covers prints posters

• edie_thiel
    10 years ago

Is it weird that this message popped up on the forum again but it's last date is 2011? Anyway, B&N in my city got those canvas book cover posters from buyenlarge.com (am I allowed to put that on here?). Use the pulldown menu to select book covers or classic book covers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buyenlarge Posters

• TMANUSA
    10 years ago

Kees_Lover,
    Your post was awesome I found the site, I just can't seem to navigate to an actual buying spot on the websiteâ¦.
    can you share some inside knowledge? much appreciated this is a last minute present for my daughter's best friend. so it's a teenage crisis :) thanks

• skywatcher
    10 years ago

TMANUSA,
    You could try contacting the company through this link. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Buyenlarge Contact

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Pammyfay, I scrolled through and I am guessing it is the Alan Rickman poster? Yes, I would definitely get that one-very cool! I love him in everything I've ever seen him in!

• ljwrar
    10 years ago

I think I figured out how to buy the canvas prints. From the Buyenlarge homepage (link below), click on the iposters.net box. From there, you can select your poster. When you add it to your cart, you get a new screen where you select the size. On the right side of that screen is a button to "upgrade to canvas". Good luck!
    Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Buyenlarge

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Funny to see this topped after so many years! I eventually got the book jacket art from Catcher in the Rye from Art.com, it was dry mounted on black wood with beveled edges. Never could find Siddartha, or A Confederacy of Dunces, his other middle school favs that are still in his top ten list.

I do love anything book related as artwork, and those Barnes and Noble canvases in the right titles would be great for a child's room, wouldn't they?