Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
osugirl_gw

A fine line: How to create a cozy but not dark master bedroom.

osugirl
9 years ago

I have mostly lurked but occasionally posted. I love the knowledge and kindness of most of the posters on this forum. I hope you won't mind giving me ideas. I'm trying to post more responses on the threads other people start, but I just don't feel experienced enough to share most of the time!

I'm so excited to redo the master bedroom. Although I'm sure my "updating" is still outdated to many people, I am ok working with the elements that are there.

Here are some details:
-Room size is about 13x15.
-Trim is oak (it's going to stay)
-Carpet is a frieze called Milk and Cookies (also staying)
-We have a ceiling fan and will replace it with another fan
-There are two north-facing windows, so it does not get a lot of natural light

We purchased the Pottery Barn Hudson king bed, two nightstands, and a dresser. We already have Pottery Barn Arc sconces.

I haven't chosen bedding or curtains, and would like to save that for last, as I may change out the bedding seasonally. I would love all-white bedding, at least part of the time, but with dogs and now a toddler, that's probably not a good idea.

I'm stuck on the paint color. I like SW Unusual Gray, but I'm afraid it might read too dark with dark wood furniture, beige-y carpet and oak woodwork. I want cozy and relaxing, not cave-like.

I've also tried SW Topsail, SW Sea Salt, BM Silver Mist and a few BM greens that looked terrible. Most of these seemed too light.

The painter is coming soon, and I feel stuck. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio