Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlebug5_gw

Window in the shower - ugh

littlebug5
9 years ago

We have a typical 6 x 9 bathroom with one window (on the 6' side) centered over the tub/shower. The window is about 30" x 45". We are having some minor remodeling done soon, but the tub/shower and window will stay where they are. However, I am having the existing wood window trim replaced with tile so it will be waterproof.

I can't decide what kind of window covering to use. We need privacy from the neighbor next door - he's not REAL close, but close enough. Especially if he gets out his binoculars. :)

Should I put film over the window? Caf� curtains that can get wet every day? Wide vinyl woodlook blinds? Waterproof roller blinds? And where would I find any of these things?

I don't want to have anything too troublesome to open because I like to see out (when I'm not taking a shower, that is).

Comments (19)

• sundance510
    9 years ago

Personally, I would use the frosted window film... either on the whole window or just the bottom half depending on the height of the window. The idea of curtains getting wet every day kinda grosses me out (not sure why). Mostly, I think the film is the simplest, most cost-effective option and still looks nice. I have never used the film in a wet/humid environment, though, so not sure how it would hold up. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

I reeeeaaaaallllyy hope your neighbor doesn't actually watch your house with binoculars!!!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I don't think film provides enough privacy in some cases - especially if you have a lighted shower. Even though you might not be able to see details, just the fact that someone might be able to tell I was in the shower would freak me out. Not sure about the style of your home, but I might consider vinyl shutters. They would be waterproof, opaque and easy to open.

See the link, altho they used opaque plexiglass and wood shuttes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victoria Elizabeth Barnes's solution

• Oakley
    9 years ago

If a frosted window film was used, won't people still see a silhouette of a person at nighttime with lights on?

I think shutters would be better, but covering the whole window.

Or a blackout shade would be good, especially at night.

She definitely doesn't want the neighbor to start singing, "I see a little silhouetto of a man...." lol

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You can make a window curtain out of shower curtain material so it will provide privacy, coordinate with the rest of the shower and be able to stand up to the conditions. All you need to do is buy one you like and shorten it or have it shortened by someone at a dry cleaners that does mending.

• camlan
    9 years ago

You can also buy vinyl window curtains made for bathrooms. Hang them on curtain rings so they will slide easily on the rod if you want to open them. You can get them on Amazon, last time I looked.

I've done this in several older homes where there was originally just a tub, so the window didn't matter so much. Then us modern folk came in and added showers and now the window reveals All.

The shutters would also work well, I think.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Here is a company that offers a lot of window film -- including several that they claim offer "one-way privacy".

Here is a link that might be useful: Wallpaper For Windows

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

I have the same setup, and a nosy neighbor as well. Thank goodness the glass was the frosted kind - I can't see out but it still lets in light. I would try to find a privacy film, I don't think I would like anything else, and it makes it easier cleaning than having to wash shower window curtains.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I have a window at the end of my tub. There is a 6 foot fence on the outside, but you can see a part of the window from the curved street and a second story window, And a gate in the fence leading to the AC unit and other equipment. There is a honeycomb shade over the window it now (separate shower, so getting wet hasn't been an issue), but I might reconfigure the shower and tub to get better use of the space (the tub has to be replaced and the shower is in need of some work anyway). I have been thinking of either setting a stained or leaded glass piece in front of the window. I know someone who applied glass and tile to a plexiglass sheet to do a faux stained glass for their bathroom. The alternative would be a decorative film that looks like stained or leaded glass. Will watch to see if there are other ideas.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I have just the plain frosted window film. It works great and I don't believe you would be able to discern a silhouette unless the person is leaning quite close to the glass. The following blog post is the only one I could find on the internet that shows a shadow cast by someone leaning close to the window.

I also only frosted up as far as needed for modesty. I love the frosting! Simple, low maintenance, cheap, and unobtrusive.

However if you want to see out, that might be a problem depending on sightlines. If your neighbour can get above your bathroom then you'd need to frost up quite high. But if he's at the same level or below then for modesty's sake you would only have to go up to shoulder height.

Here is a link that might be useful: Privacy film

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 11:24

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

My mom had a window over her tub/shower and she used the little clip rings and clipped it to printed towels...they certainly can take the conditions...

• camlan
    9 years ago

You can also buy vinyl window curtains made for bathrooms. Hang them on curtain rings so they will slide easily on the rod if you want to open them. You can get them on Amazon, last time I looked.

I've done this in several older homes where there was originally just a tub, so the window didn't matter so much. Then us modern folk came in and added showers and now the window reveals All.

The shutters would also work well, I think.

• littlebug5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. I have some window film that I might put up.

And I'm thinking about the shower curtain idea - I may look around at BB&B at their shower curtains. If I buy TWO shower curtains, I could modify one to fit the window, slicing in in half lengthwise (so I can open them up wide) and also hemming it up. I am a reasonably competent seamstress.

If I got a curtain rod that looks very similar to my new shower rod, and used the same shower hooks, it would match. And the modified curtain would be waterproof to protect the window.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Frosted the glass 30 years ago with the "Contact" brand.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

A friend of mine has an octagonal window in the shower area. When she had her bathroom redone, she put in an inexpensive stained glass window. Her contractor then put a short metal rod above it with a cut-down plastic shower curtain. When she is not taking a shower, the plastic curtain is pushed to the side to show the stained glass window.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Does the window open? What is covering the window now?? Put it back when the redo is done, if it is currently working on the wood window why not use it on the new waterproof gig???

• littlebug5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes the window is fully operational. And I like to have it open when the weather is nice.

No way I'm putting the existing covering back. It's a vinyl roller blind, circa about 1975, tattered and torn.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I vote for the modified shower curtain on rings. No way would I use film, frosting or anything else that interfered with my view from inside to outside. I removed a clear window in my bath and put in a really nice dual pane with frosted glass - and I hate it! I'd like nothing better than to change it back to clear glass and use the vinyl shutters.

• littlebug5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Where could I see an example of vinyl shutters?

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I googled and came up with a host of images. I think this one from Lowe's is very pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: