This post was edited by chloenkitty on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 11:49

Comments (17)

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one is nice too but I prefer the first

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I gather you're going for looks, not function? If you're going for function (I.e. Task lighting) you have to look at the bulbs - lumens, beam spread - rather than the size of the fixtures.

• Sms
    9 years ago

Find what you like and then make cardboard cutouts with the approximate shape and dimentions hang them from the ceiling with a string and some painters tape. Then step back and you'll just know.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Over the island

This post was edited by chloenkitty on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 11:51

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

Those first lights are pretty, and they are big, so two would be max.
    The one you show is antique nickel, which has the look of a patina surface. But it comes in polished nickel. That shouldn't be a problem if you want shiny to stay shiny.
    E.F. Chapman Country Medium Bell Jar Lantern in Polished Nickel by Visual Comfort CHC2117PN

As far as light goes, it uses 6 60w incandescent bulbs - definitely get a dimmer on those. And they will add heat. I'm fairly certain you can get LED bulbs to fit, which at least will take care of the heat issue.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I suggest getting plastic grocery bags and stuffing them with paper to the approximate size of the fixture then hanging that over the island to see if you like it. Someone else suggested doing something similar by blowing up balloons to the approximate size and hanging them.

I think it's a matter of proportion with each other...in other words an island your size can take 2 or 3 lights depending on the size of the fixture. We put 3 small ones over ours. BTW, we use our island lights all the time and hardly ever use the recessed cans. They can go bright for working, cleaning and baking and dim for serving and entertaining.

Two large ones up closer to the ceiling

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Jupiter Interior Designers & Decorators JMA INTERIOR DECORATION

3 smaller, lower ones

[Eclectic Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by Nashville Interior Designers & Decorators Epiphany Design Studio

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Me!! Light/brightness over my island is very important. I read the newspaper and lap top, homework...roll out cookies at mine. I second the idea of the mock up. We ended up tearing a chandelier apart to make four down pointing lights over our island. We have a header over ours so it is not the same configuration as yours. Stores do not always have just what you want, and I wanted the lights in my kitchen to match.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think they will be a chore to keep clean. I'm not even sure how you would clean them unless the glass is removable. I have some glass wall sconces that look cloudy with the slightest amount of dust, but I can just lift the glass off. I also have a chandelier with bowl-shaped frosted glass shades, and there's always a few dead bugs and cobwebs inside the shades. And I live in a low-dust, low-bug part of the country.

• User
    9 years ago

Yeah, those up bowls are bigtime dead bug terrariums and need frequent access to be cleaned out. There is also the overall ''forest'' of pendants to consider if your breakfast table will be close. Too many things hanging from the ceiling clutters up the look, especially if there will be other focal points competing like a range hood or a big set of windows or a busy backsplash. Keep to the KISS principle and avoid the ''too many clowns'' syndrome.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

all offers of advice rescinded.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 15:13

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seems like

This post was edited by chloenkitty on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 11:52

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It's because kitchens have become fancy showrooms first and workrooms second. Most of it isn't practical for what goes on in a kitchen, from stainless appliances to fancy lighting. You just need to know your tolerance.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

size wise, i think those would work... we bought a house with 2 6light-60 watts each, ~ 24-26" wide chandeliers over the island and they look fine- our island is bigger than 4x8... proportionally, it would probably be similar to your island with that size light.
    and, surprisingly, it is not too much/too bright light! i bought dimmers to install just in case, but often times we will probably have them on their brightest setting...

cleaning the lights that you like would be my only concern--- they're gorgeous, but to keep them looking like that would be more effort than i would want to exert... the interior bowl will collect dust and it doesn't look that easy to get to- especially if trying to get it streak free!

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I believe the electrician put dimmers in most rooms, which is nice.

This post was edited by chloenkitty on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 11:54

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mlweaving yes the lights come in polished, which I'm glad

This post was edited by chloenkitty on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 11:55

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

I think it might be best if you just make your selections without looking for feedback.

My favorite saying is, "You can have anything you want in life, but you can't have everything you want in life". So, if you want sparkly, crystal lights in your kitchen, you don't get low-maintenance. You want unique; you don't get cheap. There's trade-offs. Only you can decide which trade-offs are worth it to you. Just like life itself, you weigh the good and the bad for any decorating decision.

What everyone is saying is: don't get so lost in the quest only to find out later it makes your day to day life a slave to a house, or to find you've focused too heavily on form above function. Others are trying to get you to avoid the mistakes they've made.

• hollycz
    last year

@chloenkitty did you happen to get the bell jar pendant? I love it so much and would be willing to clean once a month or so, but wanted to get some feedback from someone who had one over an island. Ty!