Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___gw

Outdoor help for patio setting....

nicole__
9 years ago

I got a FREE porch swing off CL & tried to keep the seat cushion & neck roll neutral. I did the upholstery myself in Sunbrella. The house is dark brown, the brick patio is dark brown....I could maybe use colorful pillows? or a very cool coffee table? Suggestions?

Here's a closeup of the existing fabric.

Fabric for pillows?:

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

This post was edited by nicole__ on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 21:45

Comments (16)

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Orange and dark gray pillows would look super.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You did a great job with the find and with the refurbishing!

The fabrics above are all too similar in pattern to the fabric on the swing. You can go for a solid, or if you want to mix patterns then you want to look at bolder stripes, floral, or small geometrics....something different in scale and in pattern so they play nicely and don't clash.

I agree that orange would look nice....or a red...or a turquoise/teal/aqua. Or a mix of a few of them. Maybe get a floral and pull some colors out of it for other pillows. Or turquoise and orange look great together...lots of options as the background is so neutral. Live it up and go purple!

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I agree with Annie. You need a floral or a solid. Great job!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I might spray paint the frame a lovely 'licious lime color and match the fabric to the frame a la the one you have depicted. Is it possible to spray the frame a beautiful summer color of lime green?

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I like the green color to go with. Art on the wall behind would also look nice.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think the green would look great :)

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a "few" patios & decks. So these are cushions I already own off other benches. I also have left over fabric off the chaise lounge cushions I recovered, with birds. I don't think any of them work.

I need a more intense brighter orange perhaps? (the striped pillows are orange & grey striped)

I'm definitely not painting the swing a bright color....:0) Altho it could be done....

A BIG piece of wrought iron grating on the wall would be a thought....I love iron work!

Intense color....right?

• patricianat
    9 years ago

What do you have on the other patios and decks in the way of furniture and colors? Perhaps you could use some of the colors and tie them all together.

• User
    9 years ago

I would not put anything on the siding, that would be gilding the lily IMO.

Agree that orange would be great....maybe even a solid....rusty orange color?

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The stonework lower deck has 2 chasie lounges & 2 chairs. This deck hangs over a canyon.

{{gwi:147396}}

The redwood wrap around deck(700 sq ft) has all black iron furniture and rust cushions, terra cotta pots.

The front porch has wrought iron scroll work chairs, green cushions. Which need recovering.....and updating.

Note: The house is in a mountainous canyon, red rock area. I went for durable, neutral...earth tones. None of the decks can be seen from each other. Cushions can be changed to get a different look @ any time.

The brick patio is off to the side of the house.... off the dinningroom.

And then there's a flagstone patio.....we never use on a lower level....

I'm just working on the "swing" right at the moment....

This post was edited by nicole__ on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 11:37

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Really lovely areas for respite and the winding path is sensational. If the notion strikes you, might want to spray paint all the hard surfaces the same color to keep it consistent and do a similar or identical grouping of fabrics. Of course, you can save that project for another day.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought matchy matchy was out.....making things work together was in?

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Oh, I didn't mean matchy-matchy. I meant using the pieces you have which are all disparate but the one paint color would make them work together and using fabrics of a color represented throughout but not necessarily the same would make them not at all matchy-matchy but blend.

Maybe I am wrong. Sorry. Just ignore me.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

I think the green with bird print looks great with the new fabric.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tuesday_2008......the bird print comes in another color combo....?

{{!gwi}}

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I think every single one works with your swing fabric. Just depends on the look you like. The larger stripe seems to pick up the color of the brick. The red bird print is really fun...check the red with your brick color.

What a lovely variety of outdoor areas you can enjoy!