Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marisany

Ballard Designs - staggering shipping costs. promo codes?

marisany
15 years ago

I'm about to place an order for the Coventry upholstered sectional and some other items, and I was shocked at the shipping charges. Shipping for the sectional alone is $300. Shipping charges are 10% of the price, and there are surcharges on many items. This is really hitting me, because of course I am ordering one of their custom fabrics!

Does anyone have any promo codes? I'd like to get the price down as low as possible.

I am ordering what is shown in the link, the table and chairs in red, the sectional upholstered in grand ticking green (this combination looks great with the rug I have).

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballard Designs furniture

Comments (26)

• marisany
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am especially irritated by the shipping charges because they do not make sense. If I were to buy the sectional in the cheapest fabric, shipping would be $178. Because I'm buying a more expensive fabric, shipping is $300. But it cost them the same amount to ship the pieces. I wonder whether they would be willing to negotiate on this? My order is going to be well over $2000.

• User
    15 years ago

It can't hurt to call and ask. I've ordered tables from them before and the shipping crates and containers are what are so expensive. Agree that the cost of the upholstery should not determine the shipping cost, which is fixed regardless of the fabric. Good luck :)

• m2mom
    15 years ago

I'm kind of a coupon freak, and I almost always manage to get a coupon code for my online purchases. I think some of the better coupon code sites are: momsview.com, couponcabin.com, and naughtycodes.com.

That said, I've ordered several items from Ballard, and I've never been able to find a code online for them. I did however once receive an "appreciation" mailing with I believe it was a 15% off coupon for any online item (or order-I don't recall.) Besides that they're not freely giving of too many discounts on top of their usual sales.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I have a 15% promotional code I'd be glad to give you since I won't be using it. It's good for a $250.00 purchase. Let me know if you want it. E-mail me directly as I don't want to publish it here as it a one time only promotion for one purchase. My e-mail is up by my name.

• marisany
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much, brutuses - I've emailed you.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

you know...i don't buy anything from them because of their rediculous shipping charges which are really just another way to charge more for their products.

to charge on a percentage is highway robbery. if i want to spend $5000 i'm not willing to pay 10%. most catalog stores actually enjoy it when i spend $5000 and do not penalize me for the expense....but a few are just plain stupid...like ballard. i can't wait to hear of their bankruptcy sale :)

and to make them even more fun ...they actually charge an upcarge based on my home address (alaska). this is the second largest shipping port in the world...the upcharge is a joke...and the one time i did attempt to order...they were going to charge the upcharge even if i shipped it to seattle (and then paid to send it here myself). crap company.

• User
    15 years ago

They are a very good company, with nice quality goods. The founder of the company is from our area; it has since been sold to a larger consortium of several catalog retailers but the previous owner still took a hand in the business for quite a while. They won't be going bankrupt anytime soon. Their "white glove" delivery service is a great help to people who need it.

If you think their shipping charges are ridiculous, you are wise to avoid them, igloochic.

• User
    15 years ago

To piggy-back on this thread about shipping charges - I've known that some retailers locally charge delivery fees based on each piece instead of totally delivery.

This happened to a friend a few yrs back when she bought LR furniture - I would have cancelled the purchase.
    Why penalize somebody that is getting 6 pieces of furniture at one location instead of 6 separate deiliveries esp today w/fuel prices?

• nicoletouk
    15 years ago

How ironic! While I was reading this thread I heard the little "bing" of e-mail arriving and it was from Ballard Designs!

They are offering a 15% discount to e-mail subscribers. I just had to click on the message and it took me to their site, discount taken automatically at checkout.

Here is the page it took me to (the discount code is in the URL). It's worth a try...

Nicole

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballard Design 15% off

• neesie
    15 years ago

Good for you, for sticking to your guns and presenting your case (twice, LOL!) They are indeed making money on the shipping charges. Too bad more people don't point that out. Maybe on a regular order people just feel it is what it is but when you change the fabric and the price of the shipping goes up???? Give me a break!

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

"I said that if they could ship the 3-piece sectional for $88 in the basic fabric, and they were charging me $160 to ship it in the custom fabric, then they were making money on the shipping. "

I don't think they are actually making money on the shipping, they are averaging it out so people can stomach the charges. It probably costs them $100 to ship the cheaper sofa ; he gave you the reduction to keep you happy, which is the name of the game. I have a business and ship out stuff; for example, on lower items I lose money on the shipping but the client would not buy the item if the shipping was the real cost; on higher ticket items, I might make a tiny bit of money on the shipping so it averages out.

At the end of the year, a business is looking to come out even on their shipping charges, they don't make money on it.

Ballards did good as far as keeping you happy as a customer !!!

• marisany
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I see your point, mitchdesj, but even if it is true that shipping overall is a wash for them, I was being asked to pay way more than my share. They really need to make the shipping charges more closely related to true costs, which depend on weight, distance, and how many items are going to one address.

They could have refused my (very polite) request to reduce the charges, and I would still have placed the order. I had spent a lot of time choosing the items, had ordered fabric and wood samples, etc. But I would have felt cheated, and I would have been less likely to order from them again. As it is, I feel that I was treated fairly, and I will definitely be a repeat customer.

• movin-on
    15 years ago

I found a great little website that I always check prior to on line ordering. www. ebates dot com

Will my little purchased I just got a check for $127 ...

Ballards Designs has a 3% rebate. Not much, but it will all add up.

Here is a link that might be useful: For rebates on line

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Glad you received the best deal possible. I know some places will make you crazy on the shipping and now with the cost of oil, it's really going through the roof.

• decorpas
    15 years ago

I've always liked Ballard. They offer a lot of furniture with great lines at reasonable prices. I also like their fabric selections and have been really pleased with the quality of them. Their customer service has been right on every time I've ever had to deal with them.

Their shipping policies have always struck me as similar to Horchow and other reputable companies. It certainly can add up quickly, though, so I'm glad you got your discount.

Hope to see pics of your furniture soon:-)

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

marisa, I certainly agree with you, the way they do it leaves a bitter taste ; sort of being penalized for spending more money, lol !!

• parma42
    15 years ago

I use ebates.com too, movin-on. I get a discount at just about everyplace I shop online. Sometimes I forget and then kick myself later.

• kralikova_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

If you're placing an order this expensive, always call and ask for complimentary shipping. Most high end retailers will gladly offer at least that much these days... If not, don't purchase, there are many comparable retailers out there...

• bhavinsw
    11 years ago

Hi,

chapelle planters are not at 25% discount. Earlier it was at $49 to $149 and now its range between $35 to $110 only. Also they are giving 30 days risk free trial.

Thanks

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I don't know why people waste so much money on shipping. I can't justify it and usually choose not to buy. I think the cheaper fabric ships for less for insurance reasons which is based on cost of goods not size/weight of product.

• adhneywilson
    10 years ago

The details posted regarding the sale are very interesting. Are there any coupons available with these products, as I mostly prefers to perform shopping with coupons, also produce the details regarding the date of expiry of these discounts?

windows 8 promo code
    promo code windows 8

• ttodd
    10 years ago

This was a very interesting and educational read!

• pps7
    10 years ago

I've never bought any high price items from ballard, but i always consider the total price and determine if it's worth it to me. Plus, I'm not paying sales tax, so 10% shipping vs. 8.5% sales tax and there isnt much of a difference. Plus there are always 10-15% off coupon codes floating around. For the price, Ballard offers good value- custom fabrics, COM.

• User
    10 years ago

Ballard's doesn't really deal in high prices.They're in the same genre as Pottery Barn and a few other catalogs in terms of price and consumer appeal. I've been happy with the items I've purchased from Ballard, but I wasn't shopping for fine furniture there. The less expensive something is the greater the shipping will be as a percentage of the cost.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Someone mentioned complimentary shipping on an item of above average cost if you take into consideration how many items are in the catalog. For them to forego your shipping charges would not be a big deal as that cost could be absorbed on a few other customers. You're also upgrading to a more expensive fabric, so they've got to be making money on that also.

While I enjoy looking in their catalogs, their shipping costs have always stopped me from ordering. I can only add, I hope your sofa is worth the extra charge.