Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mfnjsb0809

Any ideas for painted brick fireplace?

mfnJsb0809
10 years ago

I bought this Turkish rug a few months ago and I feel like I need a different color fireplace to complement- do you have any suggestions? Here is a picture....

Comments (10)

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I did something totally off the wall. But....completely covered the fireplace with premixed grout. You cannot tell there is brick behind it. I also painted it with standard wall paint rather than use a colored grout. 7 years and no cracks. I love the look of it, beyond painted brick and works well with my decor. Was not a big job, just used a trowel to go over it. Thinking now though, I wish that I had added some decorative tile pieces seen in some of the older homes.

A mantle is my first suggestion. Plus a different color of paint if you are going to paint it again. I'm not the color person here. Others will chime in.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

The aqua blue in the rug is the first color that said "USE ME MORE". It would look so pretty next to your tan walls.

Is your ceiling a light blue or is that just the way the light is playing? If it's white, paint that a very, very pale blue, too.

Technicolor, does your treatment look kind of like plaster? I love that idea for mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aqua fireplace accent

• teacats
    10 years ago

I would paint the rest of the walls in aqua -- and leave the fireplace in the lovely fresh white.

Also -- try adding more aqua accents around the room first -- for example -- remove the current pillows from the sofa and chair -- and switch to aqua ones. Add an aqua-colored glass bowl to the coffee table -- OR paint the coffee table in aqua (just a thought!!)

• teacats
    10 years ago

Here's a link to a possible Benjamin Moore paint color ... of course ... it is hard to really tell exact colors from a monitor ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible BM tone

• mfnJsb0809
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great suggestions all.... I will definitely focus on the aqua color accents and explore the paint colors. The ceiling is white- though it does have a bluish tint in the picture. I love the idea of a pale blue ceiling!

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

technicolor would you mind posting a pic of your fireplace? Sounds great!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would go for a deep color instead, as the black of the firebox is too stark for me...I'd look into a deep red tone maybe, or a dark blue gray, or even a nice taupe.

[Modern Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2105) by Austin Architects & Designers Alterstudio

Or if you wanted to go with a lighter color, then maybe brighten the fireplace screen or the surround.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

That rug is Gorgeous! Where did you get it, if you dont mind me asking!

• egbar
    10 years ago

that rug is beautiful. I think pulling any of colors in it to use on the fireplace would really make it pop. My own choice would be the faded red/salmon-coral-ish of the smaller figurals.

• mfnJsb0809
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks anniedeighnaugh - I never thought about the inside of the box.

Thanksboopadaboo- I love the rug but it has taken some getting used to.... It has thrown off my usual color choices a bit- so I am slowly working around it. I got it at a rug shop in Berkeley, Ca- was a bit of an investment- I wanted
    Something that is way care with cats!

Thanks Egbert!